Cricket 43: So long, and thanks for all the Finch

IheartIheartTesla

So Stokes will get a lot of the plaudits given he’s a star of English cricket and he was there at the end but I don’t actually think he’s batted very well there. All those dot balls in the middle overs weren’t ideal and he got lucky with Afridi’s injury. Rashid and Curran won that for England.

Still great that we got a full match and decent game in the end. Pakistan didn’t roll over by any means and if Afridi hadn’t picked up that injury they might have pulled off an amazing victory. From an England perspective good to see this one day side picking up another World Cup win. They’ve been so good that just the one win would feel like it doesn’t quite reflect the level they’ve reached.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

So Stokes will get a lot of the plaudits given he’s a star of English cricket and he was there at the end but I don’t actually think he’s batted very well there. All those dot balls in the middle overs weren’t ideal and he got lucky with Afridi’s injury. Rashid and Curran won that for England.

I think Curran was a good choice for player of the match. It was definitely not Stokes's most fluent innings, I think he sometimes tries too hard to pull off the big shots, although he did manage to stay in until the end which was important. While I understand he's perhaps not in England's first choice T20 team it did feel like it would have been a perfect situation to have Joe Root in the side.

8 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

What is Ben Stokes doing in Yas while England getting whupped by Oz.

Well Stokes is currently retired from ODIs so he wouldn't have been playing anyway but this is a bit of a bizarrely scheduled series. England clearly aren't particularly interested with all their test players heading to Pakistan and they're rotating their remaining T20 players after the World Cup. All of which was entirely predictable.

• 2 weeks later...

A very bleh test series about to start in Perth between Aus and the Windies.

For the first time in years, the Aussie test team virtually selects itself. There are no spots to grab in the batting order after Usman and Head cemented their places last year. And there is no room for Scott Boland even after his insanely good beginnings.

The Windies continue to have one of the shakiest batting lineups in world cricket, with very little pedigree outside of the skipper and perhaps Jason Holder. They have a few plucky aspirants (like Bonner) but I doubt they will be able to post the kind of scores needed to win in Australia. Bowling is very much their strength and they might be able to cause a few jitters for the hosts if they get lucky with conditions. 

Overall likely to be a forgettable series though I’ll still tune in to see how it plays out.

The historic Pakistan v Eng series is likely to be a much better advertisement for tests.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

This randomly popped up on my recommended and how on earth did i miss this the first time around :lol:

Unconventional stances usually don’t bother me, provided the batter gets into a more orthodox side-on position by the time they contact the ball.

But that closed off stance from George was a little extreme…it’s a wonder he could even see the ball with his back to it for so long!

So, er, interesting England team for the first test in Pakistan. They've been telegraphing that they were going to pick Duckett for a while and he did play well in the T20s in Pakistan but opening with him in test cricket still feels like a gamble. Livingstone as a frontline bowler seems like a very big gamble. McCullum and Stokes are certainly aren't playing it safe.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

So, er, interesting England team for the first test in Pakistan. They've been telegraphing that they were going to pick Duckett for a while and he did play well in the T20s in Pakistan but opening with him in test cricket still feels like a gamble. Livingstone as a frontline bowler seems like a very big gamble. McCullum and Stokes are certainly aren't playing it safe.

I'm fine with the batting line-up but I would've gone for Jamie Overton at 8 (a bit more pace than the other two seamers and still a very useful bat). Starc and Cummins both played pretty well in Australia's successful tour of Pakistan earlier this year, and I think the extra pace was part of the equation.

I know there is a theory that it doesn't matter which bowlers you pick in Pakistan, since the pitches will likely be very flat. But Livingstone as a frontline bowler does feel like a license for Pakistan to post big scores. 

Worth noting of course that both sides are looking bowler light, with Pakistan missing Afridi and likely to have to play a number of debutants. 

20 hours ago, Paxter said:

Unconventional stances usually don’t bother me, provided the batter gets into a more orthodox side-on position by the time they contact the ball.

But that closed off stance from George was a little extreme…it’s a wonder he could even see the ball with his back to it for so long!

He must have done it for a specific bowler surely? I don't remember his stance always being that way, but I honestly haven't seen too much of him. Found it quite amusing.

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

He must have done it for a specific bowler surely? I don't remember his stance always being that way, but I honestly haven't seen too much of him. Found it quite amusing.

I don't believe it was for a particular bowler. This was a weird late-career technique thing to do with George's body / shoulder position at point of contact.

It seems that English stomachs are as unaccustomed to Pakistan as English cricketers!

England and Pakistan officials are in discussions about a possible 24-hour delay to the first Test in Pakistan, after 13 to 14 members of the England squad - including half the 16-man playing pool - were struck down by illness on Wednesday.

ETA: Actually sounds like a virus so my attempted joke doesn't work. 

The first test has started today after alol. Only Foakes misses out in the end, although we might have to see how some of these players look.

ETA: Australia 441-3. I don’t think there’s much danger of a decent test breaking out there.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't really follow cricket, but the stats today are comical. Imagine if they weren't sick. 

It is a crazy scorecard, especially since it's a first Test century for two of them. 

I wonder what they can get up to tomorrow with Stokes and Brooks still at the crease and probably England's biggest hitting batsman Liam Livingstone still to come. 

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I’m dubious that England bowling unit will be getting 20 wickets on this pitch but they’re going to get plenty of time to try at this rate. 

Perhaps not as much time as usual. Only 75 overs were bowled yesterday and the bad light is expected to continue. There are also longer breaks to accommodate salat / prayers. 

Archived