Cricket 43: So long, and thanks for all the Finch

IheartIheartTesla

4 hours ago, Hereward said:

I pleased but amazed at how poorly my post has aged. Magnificent batting!

I'm not. :D

I'm also not pleased at how my pessimism has aged quite nicely. I do believe NZ cricket fans would always have claimed that spectacularnewzealandbattingcollapseespeciallyonabattingfriendlywicket is actually the longest word in the English language.

I feel bad for Jamie Overton coming so close to a debut hundred then missing out. Fantastic effort from him anyway but you could see the nerves had kicked in for him this morning after, presumably, spending last night thinking about it.

Great test for Jack Leach. Fair play to him, I thought swapping him out for Ali might not be a bad idea but he’s really stepped up. Stokes’ captaincy of the spinner looks a real improvement on recent captains too.

Great effort from Blundell and Mitchell again to put New Zealand into what should be a very strong position as well.

New Zealand are looking a bit ragged here. England are obviously still capable of a horrendous collapse but it really looks like the Kiwis got their selection wrong not going with a front line spinner. Not traditionally a major concern at Headingley to be fair.

Another bravura performance from England. I imagine that notably level-headed ginger, Jonny Bairstow, will be more than a little pissed off to miss out on the player of the match and series, though.

that was an interesting series. I'm legitimately surprised that NZ couldn't manifest a win or draw out of any of the Tests, especially given some of the run totals they managed to create. 

But now I'm stoked for the Test series in Sri Lanka because of the HIGH QUALITY BIRDS

Actually, that reminds me -- @Hereward during the Leeds Test the camera showed an all-brown raptor flying over the grounds. No other really good distinguishing marks, except that the underwings looked like they had lighter/white patches at the "wrist" area on each wing (base of the primary feathers, basically). 

Any idea what bird that might be? 

Archived