When and how will the Stark children go back home ?

3 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

the points about Rickon's importance, with him being the main piece of Wyman Manderly's plans, and the pack coming together have been hinted more than once in the books. 

There is no hint that Rickon is part of Wyman's plan. Wyman was waiting for the return of his son before he commenced his plan, not looking for a smuggler to come along so that he could bring Rickon home. He gave his word to Davos that he would declare for Stannis if he brings Rickon back but that was obviously a lie as it would clash with the idea of northern independence. Wyman probably expects Stannis to be dead and his army destroyed by the time Davos returns, which would release him from his promise.

Jon is central to Wyman and the northern lords' plan. Forget about the snowmen then and look at Wyman's choice of songs in Winterfell. Rat Cook - a clear reference to the Red Wedding and guest right, as well as Frey Pies. Danny Flint - a girl pretending to be someone else, like Jeyne Poole. And The Night that Ended - about the Watch riding forth to victory. All songs that point to the Wall.

Take Lyanna Mormont's letter to Stannis. Bear Island knows no king but the king in the north, whose name is STARK. Jon reads it and can't work out who she is talking about, but in fact she is talking about him.

Rickon will gain political importance now that Jon's dead, because Robb's will died with Jon. However,  I suspect Rickon's ascendancy won't be long-lived as he is going to hitch his wagon to the Stannis train for vengeance but Dany's going to burn that train once she arrives.

4 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Nor I said anything about the show's story or subplots, and I don't see the point of bringing up the show anyway knowing too well the quality of the writing during the last fours seasons.

I only bring it up because there is a lot of threads recently about the Starks getting back together in Winterfell soon, like they did in the show. I don't see anything in the books that suggests that will happen. If anything it seems to me that GRRM is creating situations that prevent that for now.

Archived