COVID 45: Those Are Rookie Numbers

Luzifer's right hand

I live just down the street from the local legislature. That idiotic trucker convoy is doing their anti vax protest. They've been blowing their horns for fucking 3 hours. Even with noise cancelling headphones it's fucking infuriating. They're even using air horns, which is illegal within city limits. I've seen plenty of protests down here but nothing that comes close to this. 

Do they know that there are people around here that do shift work? That there are men and women who have to report to work for a 12 hour shift at 6:00 tonight? 

Fuck. All. These. Clowns. 

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

My dad has covid, my grandma had what nearly certainly was covid, as dad is likely to have caught it from her, which indicates that when my aunt, uncle and cousin were ill, they all had COVID too. It’s not impossible that sister’s 3 day migraine was covid as well that she got from my dad.

Yikes.  Hope they are all ok.  And have no lasting effects.

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I live just down the street from the local legislature. That idiotic trucker convoy is doing their anti vax protest. They've been blowing their horns for fucking 3 hours. Even with noise cancelling headphones it's fucking infuriating. They're even using air horns, which is illegal within city limits. I've seen plenty of protests down here but nothing that comes close to this. 

Do they know that there are people around here that do shift work? That there are men and women who have to report to work for a 12 hour shift at 6:00 tonight? 

Fuck. All. These. Clowns. 

So if it illegal I assume your police just as unwilling as ours when it comes to enforce laws during anti-vaxx protests?

17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Dump a bucket of piss on 'em.

If they get upset, Deadlines could just say it was to protect them from COVID. After all, drinking piss is supposed to be one of the latest cures, isn't it?

This convoy shit is apparently happening in Australia too, with the so-called Convoy to Canberra (where I live). Don't know when they're supposed to arrive here. I worry about it being a super-spreader event just as our case numbers are starting to trend down.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I thought those protests were against vaccine mandates?

They’re against vaccine mandates because the participants are unvaccinated and want to stay that way. But in fact the protesters have expanded their demands and want all health measures dismantled.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

They’re against vaccine mandates because the participants are unvaccinated and want to stay that way. But in fact the protesters have expanded their demands and want all health measures dismantled.

The protests have always been against all Covid-19 measures here and in Germany. They started long before plans for the vaccine mandates were made. 

I guess the poison is spreading. Once they enter the anti-vaxx bubble people tend to go completely batshit really quickly in my experience.

6 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

And the government to resign, cause they're a bunch of far-right cranks organized by a bunch of neo-nazis.

They have been mercifully restrained today.

A couple of things about th Truckers:

Apparently one of the things they're protesting is vaccination requirements for crossing the border. Really? What the fuck do they think Ottawa is going to do about it? When you cross the border into the US you encounter Customs and Border Protection; not the Canadian Customs and Revenue agency. Complain to Washington. Oh, no one in that town lobbying for the interests of a minority of Canadian truck drivers? Too fucking bad.

Also, the anti vaxxers decided to latch on to this protest and spokespersons for the truckers have explicitly said, "These clowns aren't with us." Good for them.  

I've read in an instagram story of one Ottawa bar was told "we're drinking for free this weekend" or else they'd smash the place up.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17918482559318670/

How come the right isn't calling for Canuckian Rittenhouses to protect local property from these rioters?

The BA.2 data is really confusing. So the early real-world data at the moment seems to indicate that it has a similar, or slightly less immune escape vs. Wuhan than BA.1, though broadly the same antigenic profile. So it's unlikely to be gaining any transmission advantage over BA.1 there - and this is pretty much in line with expected modelling of the major neutralising antibody binding sites on the spike protein.

But it does seem to have around a 1.3x transmission advantage - cases are ticking up pretty much everywhere. But if it is innately more contagious why is it only now ticking up now over 2 months into the Omicron wave? You would have expected it take off when it was initially seeded in early December, when it was detected all over the world but utterly failed to become dominant in most countries. Real head-scratcher.

The COVIDIOT Convoy has arrived in Canberra to protest in front of Parliament House (the current one, not the old one they tried to burn down in the last protest). Apparently, they demanded a polly come out and address them but since Parliament is not actually sitting there was no one available. Good news is there has been a big thunderstorm, so hopefully they're all wet.

7 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

The BA.2 data is really confusing. So the early real-world data at the moment seems to indicate that it has a similar, or slightly less immune escape vs. Wuhan than BA.1, though broadly the same antigenic profile. So it's unlikely to be gaining any transmission advantage over BA.1 there - and this is pretty much in line with expected modelling of the major neutralising antibody binding sites on the spike protein.

But it does seem to have around a 1.3x transmission advantage - cases are ticking up pretty much everywhere. But if it is innately more contagious why is it only now ticking up now over 2 months into the Omicron wave? You would have expected it take off when it was initially seeded in early December, when it was detected all over the world but utterly failed to become dominant in most countries. Real head-scratcher.

Well, 1.3x is not that much and founding effects can explain the late coming.

Yes, I seen the same statements. BA.2 is not more immune evading than BA.1, so infectiousness should explain the take over. There is the slightest sign of rising cases in S. Africa again. There is no yet word on severity but no reason to suspect (yet) of increased one.

What is however concerning is that first lab studies are showing that Omicron infection provides decent protection against other variants, but not so much against Omicron, making re-infections likely. It might be signature of immune imprinting. It might be something else.

Archived