Winter Olympics 2022. I'm now Norwegian, deal with it.

Super happy for Marthe Olsbu Røiseland taking gold in biathlon, and amazed by Tiril Eckhoffs bronze, but damn, poor Ingrid Landmark Tandrevold... Went from fighting for silver to 14th place in barely a minute. Total collapse on the last lap, and barely made it to the finish line. Reports are she's doing ok, luckily.

5 hours ago, lacuna said:

Super happy for Marthe Olsbu Røiseland taking gold in biathlon, and amazed by Tiril Eckhoffs bronze, but damn, poor Ingrid Landmark Tandrevold... Went from fighting for silver to 14th place in barely a minute. Total collapse on the last lap, and barely made it to the finish line. Reports are she's doing ok, luckily.

Probably bitter sweet for Eckhoff, she is apparently very close to Tandrevold. It seems she has a pre existing heart issue that is known about, maybe altitude was the issue though. That probably puts the women's relay team in trouble, can't beleive they would risk her. 

Roiseland was amazing. Fillon Mailet got very lucky in the men's. The wind dropped every time he was in the range. But shooting 20 in any race is some going. 

Still think the Norwegian men win the relay with their strength in depth though. Mass start will be between him and the Boe brothers. JTB wins if he shoots well, big if though. 

Norway have lost a lot of medals through covid. Losing Weng and  Krueger has really cost them in the relays. And if Riiber doesn't make it they probably lose out on 3 golds. 

Feels like that's the wrong message to give out though. "Cheating coaches, feel free to dope children to the gills, as neither they nor you will face concequences."

Almost makes me think there should be a minimum age limit to competing as a pro in the first place. It's not like the Olympics is "for amateurs only" anymore, and I'm not sure how I feel about literal children having a full-on job like this.

The thing that bothers me the most is that there will not be medal ceremonies if she wins any more medals because "it wouldn't be right to have a medal ceremony with an athlete who's tested positive on the podium". I mean, WTF?! She's either guilty of doping and should be disqualified or she's not guilty of doping and should be allowed to compete and take part in a medal ceremony if she wins a medal. Imagine her winning a silver or bronze. What would it be like for a gold medal winning athlete - winning a gold medal and not have the experience of being awarded a medal and listening to your anthem due to no fault of your own?

IOC really need to get their shit together.

Valieva should have been sent home, this was totally predictable.

And to make it worse, instead of supporting her, the first thing her coach did when she came off the ice after her program was “Why did you let it go? Why did you stop fighting. You let it go after that axel (she made a mistake on her triple axel attempt). Why ”? WTF.

12 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Seems like the pressure got to Valieva. At least the medalists get to have a ceremony now.

The drama right after Valieva's skate was even more amazing than the skate itself.  You've got Valieva being scolded, as David mentioned, with one Russian trainer dealing with her.  Trusova has a temper tantrum for getting second, at first refuses to go to the podium, and seems to implicate the coach in the doping scandal.  Sakamoto weeps well earned tears of joy for getting Bronze.  And Shcherbakova, the gold medalist, is left alone in the waiting room with just the camera man, looking like a kid whose parents forgot to pick them up from day care, confused, and wondering if she's somehow going to be blamed by the negligent parent. 

1 hour ago, lacuna said:

J.T. Bø, the King of Beijing!

When he missed the last 2 shots I was worried, but then QFM missed 3 and JTB had rocket skis on the last loop.

Confirms Norway as most successful Olympic team of all time with Johaug almost a shoe in tomorrow as well. Though there are 109 gold medals in play now, compared to 61 in 1994. 

So once again, Russia is allowed to get away with cheating. The fact that this is still being allowed, is a joke. Does the Olympic Committee fear Russia or something? The fact that they're constantly caught doping and the worst punishment they get is having to change the name of their team, for 2 years, just doesn't make sense. Just ban them already, until they learn how to play fair, like the rest of the world.

Archived