Watch, Watching, Watch -- Why do movies have to end so soon?

TheLastWolf

Reacher - enjoyable but daft. The absurdity of the plotting is a lot more noticeable as you watch than it is as you read because the thriller element carries you along better in the book. The logic of Reacher’s deductions is insane.

Succession - so impressive how they have kept up the high quality of this show. Even the Wire had a season 2 slump. At the same time, it is a little successiony, with all the characters speaking in a similar way.

Boba Fett - I really have very little opinion, it was fine. I can see the fan service complaint but I don’t mind that. It all seemed somehow more fake than the Mandalorian though, kind of like the difference between Iron Fist and the other Marvel Netflix shows.

Cobra Kai - somehow manages to be very entertaining, and keep it up for multiple seasons, without being very good.

The Power of the Dog - I’ve seen reviews saying it’s Campion’s best film which I definitely don’t agree with. I thought the Lost Daughter was better Netflix Oscar fare, although PotD was less boring.

Spoiler

Not sure why the film decided to invite you to re-evaluate it in the last ten minutes, from a fascinating character study, to what seems like a highly implausible thriller featuring a psychopath character.

3 hours ago, john said:

Succession - so impressive how they have kept up the high quality of this show. Even the Wire had a season 2 slump. At the same time, it is a little successiony, with all the characters speaking in a similar way

Hard disagree with that. Season 2 of The Wire is fantastic. 

Finished the first half of the final season of Ozark today. Good enough half way point. 

Question on past season

Spoiler

Did Wendy and Omar have some sort of trist last season that I have forgotten about? He seems real familiar with her in a way that feels like that.

So second half of season

Spoiler

Assume Javi goes after their daughter in a rapey kind of way? He was creeping on her at that dinner pretty hard. I'm just hoping our favorite Langmore comes out of this alive.

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Still better than most tv shows but I’d say it’s the weakest season of The Wire, what’s your pick?

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Season 2 of The Wire is fantastic.

By far my favorite.  The 5th season pretty much sucked.  One could say that's because the forces of capitalism forced it to just sort of peter out, sadly -- talk about something on screen making one cry -- there was a lot of that in The Wire's season 5 -- and pointlessly, for many of the characters -- mirroring, of course, the state of the USA YAY, which only has devolved more ever since.

19 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I think it's the best season.  It was my second least favorite (after five, obviously) the first time I watched the show but has since become my favorite on rewatches.  

Well, I’m definitely outvoted on this. I’d go 3,4,1,5,2 probably. I don’t care about those port workers when I’m not actually watching them, which is just as well since we never see them again. Can’t put 5 at the bottom, that’s where you get the resolution, even if some of it’s lacking. Three is clearly the best though, that’s the ultimate collision of cops, criminals and bureaucracy.

21 hours ago, dbunting said:

Finished the first half of the final season of Ozark today. Good enough half way point. 

Question on past season

Spoiler

I'm almost sure they didn't. I don't think they actually met in person until he had the lawyer killed. Marty he abducted and met, but all his dealings with Wendy were over the phone I think.

While I wholeheartedly agree with the consensus that the 5th season was the worst, I think the 4th season is the best.  After that it's REALLY tough to differentiate the first three in quality for me.  Ask me six different times and I'll probably give you six different answers.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’d probably go 3,4,2,1,5. I did a rewatch a few years back and I didn’t think s5 was as “bad” as I remembered it being. Some really good scenes came from the silly serial killer plot-line at least.

Season five is really only bad compared to the other four seasons.  It's still great TV, and as good as the best of most other shows.

It also has what I think is probably the funniest scene in the entire series when McNulty listens to the FBI profile the fake killer he has created and the profile is a 100% accurate description of McNulty himself.

McNulty's eyebrow raise when they say the killer is "possibly a high functioning alcoholic" gets me every time.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

While I wholeheartedly agree with the consensus that the 5th season was the worst, I think the 4th season is the best.  After that it's REALLY tough to differentiate the first three in quality for me.  Ask me six different times and I'll probably give you six different answers.

I might change my mind on another rewatch, but while season 4 hits hard, I always felt it ran into some pacing/balance issues fitting the school stuff in while also continuing the cops and gangs stuff - that led to the cops plots being simplified, mostly- which leads me to like season 3 more.

5 is obviously the weakest coz it's the one that veers closest to standard network drama cliches, but what I will give it is that it has a (mostly) fantastic ending. 

Reacher is basically a 2022 gritty Walker Texas Ranger. Lines like "I love the smell of gasoline" nonstop. 

The final episode was an 80s delight. I am really sad that after they blew up a couple dozen bad guys and walked away from the fiery destruction, his helpless nerd cop friend turned John Wick didn't say, "Get ready for a whole lot of paperwork!" then a freeze frame and a Kenny Loggins cover song blasting. 

18 hours ago, john said:

Still better than most tv shows but I’d say it’s the weakest season of The Wire, what’s your pick?

I always disliked season 2. It seemed like such a step away from what Season 1 was doing which was so interesting. Plus I always found Ziggy to be a one note cliche of a character. Actually the whole union and docks setting felt like something I'd seen a million times before. 

Season 5 is very uneven and doesn't really feel on the same level as the greatness of season 4, but for sheer disappointment Season 2 will always be my least favourite.

Archived