Watch, Watching, Watch -- Why do movies have to end so soon?

TheLastWolf

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The good thing for Amazon is that as long as they can keep it entertaining it can stay relatively cheap to make. The books have entirely new characters each time. There are some cameos/repeat characters here and there but the only real mainstay is Reacher himself. Minimal escalating talent costs to worry about.

They also may be able to attract some A-list talent in the guest roles going forward when actors know they only have to sign on for one season.

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It got four noms. Original screenplay and editing also feel like stretches. 

I love it. I love that it has so completely divided critics. I love that some of the the negative reviews are clearly because...

Spoiler

...they actually had the balls to destroy this miserable fucking dirt ball at the end of the film.

I love that the POTUS dies a remarkable death.

I love that Jonah Hills character will die of starvation and dehydration. I've though about this.

Give it all the awards I say. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, that was great.  Also, the "I need you to walk as ugly as possible.  Uglier!"

"Dang... that is a cool walk"

My god that episode was just so good.  The rest were pretty "meh", but that one had me rolling.

Also watched Murderville. Most of them were fun, if fluffy. Marshawn Lynch was surprisingly amusing, though I feel you could tell that there were cuts to discuss prompts with him in a way that was less obvious with the actual comedians and actors. The funniest bits with him were that they designed a couple of things where he could get physical, and Arnett's "Jesus!" after the two-way mirror scene where Lynch just vaults right over and then Arnett proceeds to awkwardly clamber. LOL.

But Nanjiani was definitely the funniest of them, I think, because it just got so absurd. "You need a signature sound." "*CROAKS*" Fantastic. Conan is an old improv hand and was good, but it didn't cut loose in that first episode in the way I expected. Ken Jeong was infamous on Community for always breaking, and he couldn't help himself here. Annie Murphy's episode was fun, but I thought the kindergarten teacher stole the episode. And Sharon Stone was very game but couldn't really riff on things the same way as some of the others they featured.

Apparently the show is a take-off of a British show called Murder in Successville, but when I looked it up it also featured TV personalities playing parts (Gemma Whelan, aka "Yara" on GoT, for example) which is a bit of a different vibe. 

Here in the US, on ABC (not a streaming service, but 'legacy' broadcast tv) is Abbot Elementary, located in Philadelphia.  People are loving this sitcom-mockumentary.  For people wondering what to watch next, if any of you like Derry Girls, you might love this too.

https://abc.com/shows/abbott-elementary

It can also be watching on Hulu streaming.

The kids are so adorable one just melts.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Also watched Murderville. Most of them were fun, if fluffy. Marshawn Lynch was surprisingly amusing, though I feel you could tell that there were cuts to discuss prompts with him in a way that was less obvious with the actual comedians and actors. The funniest bits with him were that they designed a couple of things where he could get physical, and Arnett's "Jesus!" after the two-way mirror scene where Lynch just vaults right over and then Arnett proceeds to awkwardly clamber. LOL.

But Nanjiani was definitely the funniest of them, I think, because it just got so absurd. "You need a signature sound." "*CROAKS*" Fantastic. Conan is an old improv hand and was good, but it didn't cut loose in that first episode in the way I expected. Ken Jeong was infamous on Community for always breaking, and he couldn't help himself here. Annie Murphy's episode was fun, but I thought the kindergarten teacher stole the episode. And Sharon Stone was very game but couldn't really riff on things the same way as some of the others they featured.

Apparently the show is a take-off of a British show called Murder in Successville, but when I looked it up it also featured TV personalities playing parts (Gemma Whelan, aka "Yara" on GoT, for example) which is a bit of a different vibe. 

I will say, the Ken Jeong fart gag was pretty amazing too.  

"Come on, Ken!  There's no one else in there!  It was obviously you."

Episode three of The Gilded Age is a crash course in how the market works.  It's hilarious how many commentators to the recaps are able to instruct the -- I'm guessing minority, here, of the commentators, who insisted they had no idea what was going on with that selling short plot line -- with really fine, succinct, clear information of what that was about.

If one studies the Gilded Age era of the USA, one better know this stuff, because it was a much boom and bust cycles as it had been in the 1870's or the 1840's and 1850's.

4 hours ago, Myshkin said:

How am I just finding out now that Law & Order is coming back? With Jack McCoy and everything!

Wait what?  Hadn't heard that either.  I'd say McCoy/Waterston is too old to play the Manhattan DA, but he's still got nothing on Robert Morgenthau.  Also see Anthony Anderson is returning.  Guess Blackish is done...yep.

I don't know where to put this so fuck it.

The Razzie noms came out. I count myself among those few who didn't hate The Woman in the Window. It wasn't great but it wasn't nearly as terrible as the critical consensus would suggest. It did have a few bright spots, One of them was Amy Adams' performance.

So why the hell does Amy Adams have a worst actress razzie nom? I get that these things are tongue in cheek but this seems pretty dumb to me. She also has a worst supporting nom for Dear Evan Hanson. Never saw it. Never even heard of it. Do these guys have some kind of beef with Amy Adams? 

Also Affleck got a worst supporting actor nom for The Last Duel. I haven't seen the film but I hear it's good. much of the commentary suggests Affleck gives a good performance. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I don't know where to put this so fuck it.

The Razzie noms came out. I count myself among those few who didn't hate The Woman in the Window. It wasn't great but it wasn't nearly as terrible as the critical consensus would suggest. It did have a few bright spots, One of them was Amy Adams' performance.

So why the hell does Amy Adams have a worst actress razzie nom? I get that these things are tongue in cheek but this seems pretty dumb to me. She also has a worst supporting nom for Dear Evan Hanson. Never saw it. Never even heard of it. Do these guys have some kind of beef with Amy Adams? 

Also Affleck got a worst supporting actor nom for The Last Duel. I haven't seen the film but I hear it's good. much of the commentary suggests Affleck gives a good performance. 

Stanley Kubrick got a worst director nomination for The Shinning. The Razzies are dumb and no one should pay them any attention.

Archived