Watch, Watching, Watch -- Why do movies have to end so soon?

TheLastWolf

The fookin' Peaky Blinders will be back on screen for the final season this month -- at least in the UK.

Interview
‘The Peaky Blinders film will tell us where to go next’: Steven Knight on his show’s final series

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/feb/11/the-peaky-blinders-film-will-tell-us-where-to-go-next-steven-knight-on-his-shows-final-series

. . . The youngest of seven, his father was a blacksmith’s farrier. “We’d go to these scrap metal yards – my parents were related to Romany people – and the gates would open on this incredible world that no one else knew about. There was always a fire going, eggs frying in a pan over the flames. There’d be horses, statues, lampposts. I remember saying to my dad: ‘Is this stuff stolen?’ He said – and I used this line in Peaky – ‘No, Charlie just finds it before it’s lost.’”

How did Knight make himself useful? “I’m nine years old taking the shoes off this bloody great carthorse! Only off. That’s the easy part.” Did he imagine he would grow up to work in that world? “No because I knew I couldn’t shoe a horse. One of my brothers took on the trade but I was no good at it. And still to this day it feels like a failure. It does, honestly. There’s a Gypsy word, ‘nesh’ – it means when someone looks really crap knocking in a nail with a hammer. I wasn’t quite nesh, but I wasn’t un-nesh enough to become a farrier.” . . . . 

58 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Better Call Saul final season will premiere on April 18. The season will be split into two parts - the first 7 episodes to air over April and May and the final 6 episodes will begin airing July 11.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/better-call-saul-final-season-premiere-date-1235090261/

I'm kind of dreading this.  I really, really do not want to see Kim destroy Howard for giggles and turn to the dark side.  

If anything happens to Kim Wexler, I will stand up and point and shake my head and use very large face words to the tiny strangers in the tee vee dimension. 

I suspect Kim will be the first to purchase a dust filter for a Hoover Max Extract 60 Pressure Pro. That has to happen at some point. I don't believe Ed Galbraith and Jimmy MacGill have met in the pre-BrBa narrative yet. 

On 2/10/2022 at 8:08 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Is Cage a financial plus at this point? Seems like he makes 10 movies that bomb for everyone that does somewhat well.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, briantw said:

I assume if they keep paying him to be in them that they must be at least making a small profit.

That seems to be the scam with the Bruce Willis movies.  They’re not making bank on them but they’ve gotta be at least breaking even or it wouldn’t be viable.

These guys are probably still big draws overseas and with boomers. The films don't cost a lot and they aren't marketed at all so there has to be some direct-to-video sales model that's working for them. Or it might actually be a money laundering operation.

22 hours ago, Ran said:

He could have debts we do not know about. Bad investments, bad money management, etc. He could simply want to have as much money as possible for himself and his heirs.

There have been rumors going back half a decade that Willis has memory problems and could be suffering early-onset dementia, which would perhaps partially explain why he's doing these gigs when anything more arduous or complicated may be a struggle for him.

I've never heard of the dementia speculation but it would explain a lot. Sad if true. 

25 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

These guys are probably still big draws overseas and with boomers. The films don't cost a lot and they aren't marketed at all so there has to be some direct-to-video sales model that's working for them. Or it might actually be a money laundering operation.

I don't think they have a ton of value overseas. Yesterday I looked at a handful of Cage's recent movies and most of them didn't come close to just making the money back, but every now and then one turns out to be a hit, so I guess you just hope you're the 1 in 10 that finances that film. Must suck to be the people who put up $25m for Jiu Jitsu given that it made less than $100k at the box office, and some how is going to get a sequel, lol. 

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I don't think they have a ton of value overseas. Yesterday I looked at a handful of Cage's recent movies and most of them didn't come close to just making the money back, but every now and then one turns out to be a hit, so I guess you just hope you're the 1 in 10 that finances that film. Must suck to be the people who put up $25m for Jiu Jitsu given that it made less than $100k at the box office, and some how is going to get a sequel, lol. 

I guarantee you that, after streaming deals, they make their money back.  These films aren't made for theaters.  

Well, Willis' movies at least.  Is Cage doing the same thing?  Just making absolute swill that he's barely even in?  The only newish Cage movie I've seen is Pig, which was an actual film.

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

I guarantee you that, after streaming deals, they make their money back.  These films aren't made for theaters.  

Well, Willis' movies at least.  Is Cage doing the same thing?  Just making absolute swill that he's barely even in?  The only newish Cage movie I've seen is Pig, which was an actual film.

:agree:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/02/josh-brolin-denis-villeneuve-dune-oscar-snub-1234698390/

:agree:

10 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

And yet that didn't stop the academy from giving it a best picture nomination.

It's half a story, not half a movie.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

ETA: More seriously, most of the nominations are technical. No acting noms at all. It's visually and technically impressive, but the Academy is out as to whether it's really as impressive artistically, and presumably that has to do that that the second half of the film has yet to be seen. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I’m not sure that’s accurate. I doubt there’s any way something like Jiu Jitsu makes even half its cost of production back, and I doubt the smaller budget ones do too. My understanding is anything that isn’t a hit is sold in a giant bundle and these b, c and d movies don’t tend to generate much revenue. I’d love to see a breakdown of how they do if I’m wrong.

Pig was a good film and Willy’s Wonderland was entertaining, but most of what he puts out these days is pure garbage. I really hope The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent turns out to be good though.

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’m not sure that’s accurate. I doubt there’s any way something like Jiu Jitsu makes even half its cost of production back, and I doubt the smaller budget ones do too. My understanding is anything that isn’t a hit is sold in a giant bundle and these b, c and d movies don’t tend to generate much revenue. I’d love to see a breakdown of how they do if I’m wrong.

https://www.vulture.com/article/randall-emmett-movies.html

"There’s a crude, blunt brilliance to Emmett’s filmmaking formula: Accept money from just about anyone willing to hand it over, offer vast sums of it to an aging star for a day or two of work, then leverage that actor’s name to presell the movie in foreign markets. Along the way, forgo union writers and directors whenever possible, keep shooting days to a minimum, and film on location in places like Puerto Rico, where the local government offers filmmakers tax credits that can be sold on the open market for 90 cents on the dollar."

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Mandy and Color Out of Space are good recent-ish Cage movies. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Interesting read. I got some Enron vibes from that. And how great is it that the guy behind this is the inspiration for Turtle?

Archived