Watch, Watching, Watch -- Why do movies have to end so soon?

TheLastWolf

19 hours ago, dog-days said:

Anyway, if you live near London, I do recommend trying to see it before it closes. It was amazing on screen, and would be even better watched live on stage in a real theatre. 

Keep seeing ads for this on the underground. Semi tempting but still not sure how I feel about being stuck in a theatre with loads of other people at the moment.

Finished watching Squid Game last night. Wish we'd just watched it at the time when it was released insead of waiting for there to be some mystical improved subtitle offering. :rolleyes: Next up, Boba Fett, which I've been too busy to get to so far.

On-screen Christie for These Times.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20220214-death-on-the-nile-and-addressing-racism-in-agatha-christie

. . . . Again, with Death on the Nile, Branagh has assembled a more inclusive cast than has been typical for Christie adaptations, from the opening flashback to Poirot's time as a young soldier in the Belgian World War One trenches, in which black soldiers are prominent. Their presence pays tribute to the thousands of Congolese who fought for Belgium and is a rare cinematic depiction of how European forces relied on their colonies to help them fight their battles. . . . .

Do you all think this will help history-challenged viewers to not get knickers twisted all the way up because WWI films show soldiers from India, Africa, etc. fighting in European armies in Europe?  :rofl:

Fandango At the Wall.  It's currently available streaming on HBO.  I saw a version of it first, live, in Symphony Space; prior to that it was at the Public.  Originally, however, the film is live, and parts of it are at the infamous Southwestern Wall dividing the US from Mexico.

https://www.disappointmentmedia.com/reviews/fff-2020-fandango-at-the-wall-an-inspiring-tale-of-how-culture-unites-us

https://decider.com/2020/09/29/fandango-at-the-wall-on-hbo-stream-it-or-skip-it/

Watched a couple things last night. First was the horror movie Antlers. It was just ok. I remember wanting to see it based off the trailer, and liking Keri Russell, but it was nothing special. Which seems to be a pattern with this director - Scott Cooper (Black Mass, Hostiles, Out of the Furnace). It feels like a lot of his movies come up just short of being much better than they could be. If that makes sense. 

The second was Spencer. Watched this one mainly for my wife - who likes royal family stuff, but I ended up liking it more than I thought I would. Kristin Stewart was surprisingly good in that role. 

I watched Last Night in Soho. I enjoyed it. It got a little repetitive towards the end but both Thomasin McKenzie and Taylor-Joy were unsurprisingly great. Kind of a twist ending too. 

Also put on Bone Tomahawk for the first time in a while. What a brutal movie. That one fucking scene.

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Have you seen S. Craig Zahler’s other movies (Brawl in Cell Block 99, Dragged Across Concrete)? He definitely likes brutal…

It’s funny you say that because I just texted my buddy about rewatching Bone Tomahawk and he recommended I give Brawl a go. I’ll watch it soon.

Rewatching Westworld, just finished S1E4. I never really gave season 3 a chance, so I'm hoping having taken a step back with some time and starting from the beginning will breath some more joy into the series. Certainly not going to nitpick the shit out of it like before. Season one is still fire.

Also, I've never heard of Rob Roy, but I'm definitely going to check that out soon, tonight possibly if time permits. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Have you seen S. Craig Zahler’s other movies (Brawl in Cell Block 99, Dragged Across Concrete)? He definitely likes brutal…

I am not a fan of hyper violence or gore, though I understand its impact when used well. My brother knows me and told me I should *totally* watch Dragged Across Concrete, which has absolutely the least appealing name to a movie I have literally ever heard. He was cracking up, but he does love Zahler. I think I'll eventually watch Vince Vaughn beat the shit out of and be beaten to shit by other inmates - definitely not Bone Tomahawk though, as I've been spoiled on some particulars of said scene you're wary of and that Nope'd me into losing any mild interest as a fan of Westerns.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, I've never heard of Rob Roy, but I'm definitely going to check that out soon, tonight possibly if time permits. 

Whaaaaa? Such a great movie.

Steven Soderberg's Kimi. Easy watch with great performance by Zoe Kravitz.

Finally caught up with Arcane. I'm pretty sure I cannot add anything new to the situation. This is a surprisingly great show. The only weak point I would signal out is the plot, which is a little bit too convenient near the end (no one talks to statues like that, fuck you movies/series for doing something as lazy as that).

That being said, it is no real drag when you stack it up against the magnificent animation, the wonderful voice acting and the superb characterization. I look forward to the next season.

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's bizarre. Every time anyone watches it and posts about it here, it starts a (deserved) circle jerk of praise for the movie. Also, every time any film has a duel/fight in it pretty much everyone here benchmarks it by the final duel in Rob Roy. Most recent example here was The Last Duel's final duel :P

I expect better of you young man! 

There's nothing on TV like Euphoria right now. This latest episode, the penultimate of the season, zips back and forth between a high school theatre production and the real lives on which the play being performed is based, and does so in such a stylish fashion. Admittedly, the production itself looks like no high school production I've ever heard of, both for reasons of content (extremely suggestive homoerotic pantomime) and technical quality (a Hamilton-esque rotating stage), but the whole show has always lived in a fog of hyperreality so I just went with it.

I did not realize until looking at interviews about this episode that the actress playing Lexi, Maude Apatow, is in fact Judd Apatow's daughter. Apparently she collaborated with Sam Levinson on how the production was presented, reflecting her experiences from a play she produced at her high school.

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

I did not realize until looking at interviews about this episode that the actress playing Lexi, Maude Apatow, is in fact Judd Apatow's daughter.

I haven't watched the show yet but I did take a look at the cast a few weeks ago and it was very depressing to realize the little girl in Knocked Up and Funny People is now 24 years old.  At least she's the older sister I guess.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I haven't watched the show yet but I did take a look at the cast a few weeks ago and it was very depressing to realize the little girl in Knocked Up and Funny People is now 24 years old.  At least she's the older sister I guess.

Younger sister to Sydney Sweeney's character, actually. The actresses are the same age, I guess the characters are a year apart with Lexi (Apatow) a junior and Cassie (Sweeney) a senior.

44 minutes ago, Ran said:

Younger sister to Sydney Sweeney's character, actually. The actresses are the same age, I guess the characters are a year apart with Lexi (Apatow) a junior and Cassie (Sweeney) a senior.

I was referring to Iris Apatow, the younger daughter that was also in their parents' movies.  They're both in this scene from Knocked Up, where Maude explains where babies come from:

Archived