NFL 2022 Playoffs: What Is Dead May Never Die

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I remember before and right after week 1, when there were multiple posters trying to give the title to Tampa Bay.  I said then that it's a longer season, more likely than not to have to play the wild card round, and absolutely requires that their receiving corps stay healthy.  TB12 did almost do it again, but those aforementioned things always have a way of catching up to you in the playoffs.  Just goes to show that you can't crown any team at the beginning of the year.

Remember in the early/mid 00s, when the AFC had just a ridiculous talent disparity at QB over the NFC?  In the AFC were Brady, Manning, Rivers and Roethlisberger, while the NFC had Favre, McNabb and basically no one else (the 2003 NFC pro bowl had Jeff Garcia, Michael Vick and Brad Johnson).  No surprise that the AFC won 5 of 6 super bowls from 2001-2006.

Well it seems like we might be headed back to that, maybe even worse.  It's possible Rodgers is going to the AFC (if he gets traded, I doubt the Packers want to face Rodgers in the playoffs).  Also possible he retires because he's feeling cranky, who the hell knows.  The best qbs in the AFC is a long list:  Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson.  That's 1/3 of the conference.  Compare that to the NFC where it's...Rodgers (maybe), Wilson, Brady (if he doesn't retire), Prescott (I guess?), then for the fifth spot....Ryan?  Murray?  Cousins?  It's not a pretty picture. 

20 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Bills had 422 yards of offense, no turnovers, went 4/4 on 4th down, were 100% in the red zone and LOST. 

It's almost as if defense matters a little bit 

A tradition unlike any other, people bitching about OT rules in the playoffs after a great QB is denied the chance to touch the ball. I'm not sure what change will satisfy people other than making playoff OT different from the regular season. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

A tradition unlike any other, people bitching about OT rules in the playoffs after a great QB is denied the chance to touch the ball. I'm not sure what change will satisfy people other than making playoff OT different from the regular season. 

YES THIS

Why would this be so hard? Like, so many sports do this!

3 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Indeed.  I don't understand how changing the rules for OT in the postseason vs. the regular season is an argument against it in the first place.

Like, what they should do in the regular season - especially now that there are 17 games - is just end games at the end of regulation. Ties? Who the fuck cares in the regular season? Just let it end. 

But for playoffs, it's far more important to determine as far as you can who the winner should be. And anything where it makes the coin flip a 55% decider for playoff games is not a good choice. 

16 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

Like, what they should do in the regular season - especially now that there are 17 games - is just end games at the end of regulation. Ties? Who the fuck cares in the regular season? Just let it end. 

But for playoffs, it's far more important to determine as far as you can who the winner should be.

Right, if any league should have different rules for OT between regular and postseason, it's the NFL.

14 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

MLB does it now and it’s fine. 

Yep, I'm totally fine with the new rules for the regular season.  16 inning regular season games suuuuuuck.  But for the playoffs?  GTFO.

54 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

YES THIS

It's hard because the sport is run by conservative men who are afraid of change, like even the most obvious, totally agreeable changes.

42 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

But for playoffs, it's far more important to determine as far as you can who the winner should be. And anything where it makes the coin flip a 55% decider for playoff games is not a good choice. 

I think the current format is fine for the regular season, but if no overtime leads to more late 2 point attempts I'd be game. 

For the playoffs I think they should just play another 15 minute quarter, and if you want a sudden death element to it make it trigger after a two score lead. After that, I guess the best thing to do would be go to college rules, put the ball on the 25 and give teams four chances to score a TD until one team can stop the other. I doubt the league would ever go for that though.

39 minutes ago, DMC said:

Never been a big fan of the college rules.  Have to say I'd probably go with another 15 minute period as the best (or least worst) solution.

I think you'd have to make it sudden death at that point if you don't want to go with college rules. There's no way you can sign off on a system that could lead to unlimited OT quarters even if that scenario would be extremely rare.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think you'd have to make it sudden death at that point if you don't want to go with college rules. There's no way you can sign off on a system that could lead to unlimited OT quarters even if that scenario would be extremely rare.

Well yeah after the first 15 minute period you gotta change it to something else.  I don't really care at that point, whatever everyone else wants.

What if you leave it as is; except you get a chance to match a TD.  (Instead of just a FG.)

If both teams score a TD, it goes sudden death.

You say you don’t like “stop somebody,” but if you can’t stop them twice… :dunno: 

This is neither here nor there on the rules debate, but the Niners-Rams game a couple weeks ago emphasized how little time 10 minutes of overtime can be.  The Niners kicked a field goal after a very long drive and the Rams didn't touch the ball until there was only 2:45 left - and already using both their timeouts (hell, the Niners used both of theirs as well).

Archived