NFL 2022 Playoffs: What Is Dead May Never Die

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I think that the Ravens proposal is a good solution.  They said that one team picks a line of scrimmage, and the other team picks offense or defense, and the overtime game begins.  For a game like Bills-Chiefs both teams are gonna want the ball, so it's gonna take a pretty aggressive yard line like the 3 or something.  Regardless, that's much better than what we have.

You could also make this change (which I just made up).  OT is the same except you do not win with a touchdown, you kick off.  But there's also the rule that if the first team scored the touchdown and extra point, then the second team CANNOT kick an extra point, they must go for 2.  This would put a ceiling on how long the game goes.  In the extremely unlikely event that both teams score a touchdown and the score it still tied (for example, both miss an extra point or both successfully go for 2) then it goes to sudden death, but I doubt that comes up even once a decade. 

Regular season should just end in a tie after 4 quarters.  We've had enough ties even with OT that I think this would be fine and also help keep a lock on TV scheduling.  I think it would be fun to see teams go for the win more in the final quarter of the game if they don't want a bunch of tie games.

OT in the playoffs should just be an extra 15 minute quarter to start, then 10 minute quarters until there is a winner.  Get rid of sudden death.  There's really no need for it and it doesn't make any sense in a game like football (which is more like baseball than hockey or soccer).  It'd be like if in baseball you went to extra innings and the away team could win outright with a home run.  It'd be a dumb rule, yet somehow in football we've collectively decided that it's fine.  Sudden death doesn't belong in football.

Sean Payton leaving the Saints.  He's been one of the best coaches of the past 15 years and I don't blame him for wanting to step away instead of undergoing a big rebuild.  I suspect he'll take a year off and then see if a great opportunity comes along to get back into coaching. 

I know the general consensus is he’s a great coach, but isn’t it also fair to say the team underperformed under his leadership? His rosters were usually stacked with arguably a top 10 QB of all-time and in 15 years they only went to three NFC title games and only once in the last twelve years.

He was an offensive coach who struggled to find a dcoordinator who could get the job done with him.  I would also say that in the past 4 years when he drafted some defensive studs, his teams got some really bad breaks that don't exactly come down to coaching.  The flagrant missed PI in the Rams Championship Game.  Marcus Williams going for the ball instead of just tackling Diggs.  The defense completely dominating Tom Brady in 4 of their 5 meetings, but not the one playoff matchup. 

Was browsing Payton's wikipedia page and saw this:

During his 2012 suspension from the NFL, Payton served as the offensive coordinator for his son Connor's sixth-grade team in Argyle, Texas.[46] Payton used a simplified version of the Saints playbook, and the team went unbeaten until losing near the end of the regular season to a team that ran the single-wing, which his team was unable to stop. Since he believed he would face that team again in the league's playoffs, he obtained video that the father of one of his players recorded, and then contacted his mentor Parcells to help him break down the opponent's offense. The teams indeed faced one another in the league finals; Payton's team lost a considerably closer game in which they were able to slow down the opposing offense to a Springtown Pee Wee team.

The idea of Sean Payton and Bill Parcells breaking down tape of a bunch of 12 year olds trudging around a football field is priceless.  Someone should write Little Giants 2 based off this.  I also love how Payton was the offensive coordinator for the sixth-grade team.  Clearly he needed another year of seasoning before he was ready for the big job.

Bring on the narrative... lets showcase highlights of Patrick Mahomes from 3 years ago when we had a completely different coaching staff and team rather than from 3 weeks ago when Burrow threw for 446 yards, 4 TDs and Chase had 265 yards. Cool!

50 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Cocky Bengals fans? What is this madness?!?

Cocky? Nah. Just pointing out some of the ridiculousness that some media is going to make this not even a game. I mean, who decides that they want to promote the AFC Champsionship so rather than focus on the insane game 3 weeks ago that was 34-31 with a game winning kick at expiration, lets focus on Mahomes going crazy against a 6-10 Bengals team with Marvin Lewis in charge. That's because the Chiefs didn't win.

All good for me. This team loves the disrespect. It fuels them. And I will be in KC, at the game and ready to cheer them on, win or lose.

56 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Cocky? Nah. Just pointing out some of the ridiculousness that some media is going to make this not even a game. I mean, who decides that they want to promote the AFC Champsionship so rather than focus on the insane game 3 weeks ago that was 34-31 with a game winning kick at expiration, lets focus on Mahomes going crazy against a 6-10 Bengals team with Marvin Lewis in charge. That's because the Chiefs didn't win.

All good for me. This team loves the disrespect. It fuels them. And I will be in KC, at the game and ready to cheer them on, win or lose.

Let the hate flow through you, that way your double middle fingers will have that much more power when you win.

12 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Trent Baalke fired, thank the old gods and the new, I have no idea how he even got another GM job after his destruction of the 49ers.

I don’t even think I realized he was working as a GM…

Archived