NFL 2022 Playoffs: What Is Dead May Never Die

Mr. Chatywin et al.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I woulda gone all in and called them the Red Hogs. :dunno:

Nah, they had to completely disentangle themselves from having "Red" in the name. Although I guess in one sense having their team name be an obvious dog whistle would have been fitting for DC.

Will you please try and up your trolling game, third place?

Rank Pick Set Name Total Dropped W-L
1 Bronze Stones 1554 42 173-97
2 Tywin 1554 48 173-97

@Bronn Stone, how exactly do all these tie breakers work again?

9 hours ago, DMC said:

We prefer Red October, thanks.

They could've named their fans "the Connerys", sold "Jack Ryan burgers" at concessions, and done a whole thing with it. And FedEx field is only 30 miles from Langley, so there'd be all sorts fo opportunities for cross-promotion with the CIA (who do advertise job openings on local radio here sometimes).

The more I think about it, the more I like it.

I was hoping for Red Tails, because one of them was from the area, and a connection to black history would be nice for a DC team.  Failing that, anything Hogs would have been totally fine.

Commanders is just so fucking bland.  It's like you get a list of thirty teams and then decide by getting 29 people to veto one option and that's the one left.  Yay...

Anyways, I prefer commanders to the racist slurs, but I'm not totally sure I even prefer it to WFT.  And that is a low, low bar.  I'm never rooting for this squad until Dan Snyder sells the team anyway, so my opinion doesn't really matter.  Thoughts @Jaime L?

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Will you please try and up your trolling game, third place?

Rank Pick Set Name Total Dropped W-L
1 Bronze Stones 1554 42 173-97
2 Tywin 1554 48 173-97

@Bronn Stone, how exactly do all these tie breakers work again?

I don't REALLY know.  And I am not concerned enough to research it.  I understand the weekly ones, but not the season ones.

I figure a tie is a tie here.

11 hours ago, mcbigski said:

With all of you lefties ascendant, they could have gone Red Army.

With all you *cough* ascendant, they could have gone Brownshirts in honor of Jan 6 in DC.

Seems like some people are rallying around The Commies as a nickname.

Back to the law suit, one question I’ve always had is what’s a team supposed to do if they know who they want to hire and that individual is white?  Are they not forced to conduct sham interviews?

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Back to the law suit, one question I’ve always had is what’s a team supposed to do if they know who they want to hire and that individual is white?  Are they not forced to conduct sham interviews?

That's what I've always wondered as well.  Especially if they are doing an internal hire for a retiring coach.  I can't think of any in the immediacy, but lets go into the wayback machine to 1988.  Bill Walsh retires and the organization had essentially the "coach in waiting" with George Siefert.  What's a team supposed to do then?

Or more recently, everyone knew the Raiders were hiring Jon Gruden.  Everyone.  I think I even raised the question then, if you're a minority coach brought in to interview... why do you accept the interview in the first place?  The general answer I got at the time was that it keeps your name in the hiring circles for other jobs.  :dunno: 

Washington Commanders is instantly one of the worst names in the league. 

However

With one small change, it can become the absolute best team name in the history of football.  Credit to @Jaime L for realizing that the Washington Cobra Commanders would be an epic game-changer.

Please somebody make it happen.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Back to the law suit, one question I’ve always had is what’s a team supposed to do if they know who they want to hire and that individual is white?

Well, probably what they've done since football became a professional sport they'll hire the white guy. 

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new here, but the rule isn't for the 1 in 100 case where a team has its eyes set on one particular person and will move heaven and earth to get them. 

So the Niners fired their tight ends coach, who is black, today.  Because of the Flores case, accusations are running wild this is another example of racism.  Yeah, the team that made Saleh a head coach last year, and then his replacement Ryans became a leading candidate this year, not to mention apparently Mike McDaniel, is clearly where we should be looking when it comes to systemic racism in NFL coaching hiring.  Way to go internet!

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around McDaniel. People often don't believe me when I tell them I'm Jewish, but he's on some next level of passing.

My favorite comment I saw about McDaniel on the Niners Nation had to do with his dad’s friends all giving him crap because his kid was so white.  “Hey McDaniel… how close was your wife with the mailman?” :lol: 

Archived