Jump to content

Epic fantasy the last 5-6 years, nothing great?


Calibandar
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

The genre is too long.

I think the era of the door stopper fantasy has essentially passed though.  (If that’s what you’re referencing.) 

Other than Sanderson, I don’t really see anyone else writing the 1000 page epics that were once the norm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

I think the era of the door stopper fantasy has essentially passed though.  (If that’s what you’re referencing.) 

Other than Sanderson, I don’t really see anyone else writing the 1000 page epics that were once the norm.

I guess. Though a lot of the stuff in the fantasy section of Barnes and Nobles like Liars Knot (M.A Carrick) or Jade Legacy (Fonda Lee) are huge. 

Then again I don't pick up those books to check the page count, maybe the paper is just really thick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/27/2022 at 12:30 PM, Gigei said:

Thanks to the recs here I started reading The Shadow of What Was Lost. I'm 1/3 in and cautiously optimistic that I'll like the rest of it.

Mmmmm, if the book's title can be improved by cutting out 33% of words, I shudder to imagine what the text looks like.

Edited by One-Winged Balrog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 10:55 AM, Ninefingers said:

I say this every time Sanderson comes up, but he's the Nick Cage of fantasy authors. He turns out dependable summer blockbusters and you know just what you're going to get: plot driven stories that aren't very deep and never make you think very hard, but are fun.  

 

Sanderson is the ramen of fantasy.  It’s quick, available, and very “not bad”.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm also enjoying Williams most recent publication! And have finally started with board favorite JV Jones as well.

I suppose this belongs in What I'm Reading, but I do hope the final novel ramps everything up. So far I very much prefer the original Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and the Otherland series. I have all faith in Williams, who spends 2400 pages for a wild, 400 page final act. Still hoping this third novel pulls me in a bit more than it has so far. I adore his measured prose, though I know it's a bit plodding to many readers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm also enjoying Williams most recent publication! And have finally started with board favorite JV Jones as well.

I suppose this belongs in What I'm Reading, but I do hope the final novel ramps everything up. So far I very much prefer the original Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and the Otherland series. I have all faith in Williams, who spends 2400 pages for a wild, 400 page final act. Still hoping this third novel pulls me in a bit more than it has so far. I adore his measured prose, though I know it's a bit plodding to many readers.

You can tell Into the Narrowdark is the first half of the final novel.  And it does pick up toward the end. It stops before some big reveal that relates to The Heart of What Was Lost.  Also ITN is much more satisfying if you have read The Brothers of the Wind.

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can see that as I progress! I did read the former novella but missed the latter. I suppose much of my issue is that I'm a bit Sithi- and Norn-ed out, as it were. I have spent a lot of time with Erikson and others, and the plight of the immortals doesn't engage me as much as the human element of fantasy worlds. Although I'm still enjoying the novel, it's become apparent that much of it would resonate more had I tracked down Brothers of the Wind prior to this series (and frankly had re-read The Heart of What Was Lost, as it never engaged me - again, I find weary immortals a bit tiresome).

I can tell that the chapters I'm currently on are only juuuuust before some major events unfold, and I expect the remainder of the book to be a thrilling tease for the finale. Williams never disappointed me (well, except for that kitchen world in Otherland. Yeesh.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

I can see that as I progress! I did read the former novella but missed the latter. I suppose much of my issue is that I'm a bit Sithi- and Norn-ed out, as it were. I have spent a lot of time with Erikson and others, and the plight of the immortals doesn't engage me as much as the human element of fantasy worlds. Although I'm still enjoying the novel, it's become apparent that much of it would resonate more had I tracked down Brothers of the Wind prior to this series (and frankly had re-read The Heart of What Was Lost, as it never engaged me - again, I find weary immortals a bit tiresome).

I can tell that the chapters I'm currently on are only juuuuust before some major events unfold, and I expect the remainder of the book to be a thrilling tease for the finale. Williams never disappointed me (well, except for that kitchen world in Otherland. Yeesh.)

TBotW doesn’t read like you are dealing with immortals.  The POV character for the book is Tinukede’ya so not an immortal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/29/2022 at 3:28 AM, Argonath Diver said:

...

Williams never disappointed me (well, except for that kitchen world in Otherland. Yeesh.)

I just started the Otherland series.  In which book is the kitchen world first introduced?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Otherland better than the Osten Ard stuff, though it's been a while.

On 8/28/2022 at 9:53 AM, One-Winged Balrog said:

Mmmmm, if the book's title can be improved by cutting out 33% of words, I shudder to imagine what the text looks like.

This post can be improved by acknowledging that the book's title is good.

Edited by Inkdaub
Italics.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I like Otherland better than the Osten Ard stuff, though it's been a while.

This post can be improved by acknowledging that the book's title is good.

I can improve the title:

Broke: The Shadow of What Was Lost
Woke: The Area Blocked From Light By The Thing Whose Location Is No Longer Known

Bespoke variant is left as an exercise for the reader.

Edited by One-Winged Balrog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since the topic is on my mind, Cradle should be on this list. The books are relatively short, but there are 11 of them (out of a planned 12).  The word count is well over a million at this point.

It also is probably one of the better epic fantasies out there. It's not Tolkien or Martin, but certainly better than authors such as Sanderson and Jordan (less ambitious in scope, but far better in execution).

Edited by IFR
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, One-Winged Balrog said:

I can improve the title:

Broke: The Shadow of What Was Lost
Woke: The Area Blocked From Light By The Thing Whose Location Is No Longer Known

Bespoke variant is left as an exercise for the reader.

That which resides in the space behind a thing upon which light is shown but which can no longer manifest in the absence of the aforementioned thing on account of that thing no longer being found in any presumed location 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...