US Politics: all the progressive's fault

Kalbear

You all have seen no doubt, especially those who pay attention to the superbowl and football (which I do not) that 'rural' Murka is up in arms over the superbowl's racist half time.  At  least according to the letters to the editor and opinion sections of what passes as local newspapers these days.  North Dakota appears particularly enraged by the racism that ruined its superbowl.  Are Tucker, Hannity and the other ilks at the national tv networks equally dismayed, disturbed and distraught?  Did they not even warn their viewers of what was coming so they could cancel their get blind drunk and put on 10 lbs Sunday plans?

The more I think about it, the more hilarious their rage at the very idea of African Americans dominating superbowl's half time becomes.  Or would if their willingness, nay even desire, to shoot and kill African Americans any time any where wasn't so pervasive.

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I suck at spelling?

LOL thanks, just wanted to make sure.

17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The more I think about it, the more hilarious their rage at the very idea of African Americans dominating superbowl's half time becomes.  Or would if their willingness, nay even desire, to shoot and kill African Americans any time any where wasn't so pervasive.

I imagine a lot of the outrage at FNC was directed at Eminem kneeling during the performance.  I don't know for sure - not like I've been watching any Tucker or Hannity - but I think it's a safe assumption.  I know the New York Post also got laughed at for being surprised Snoop got high right before the performance.

There was also the outrage at Dre having the audacity to rap his lyric "still not loving the police."  But I suspect what really got under their skin is Dre payed for the whole production himself.

On 2/1/2022 at 1:53 PM, Mindwalker said:

I think it's awfully presumptuous for AOC to blame Manchin instead of -- I don't know -- the NYCHA or the state of New  York

I find the self-righteousness and hypocrisy transparent honestly.

What's good for the people of NYC simply wasn't what was good Manchin's constituents (aka the people he serves). Respect that and start making revisions to get him aboard

47 minutes ago, Zorral said:

You all have seen no doubt, especially those who pay attention to the superbowl and football (which I do not) that 'rural' Murka is up in arms over the superbowl's racist half time.  At  least according to the letters to the editor and opinion sections of what passes as local newspapers these days.  North Dakota appears particularly enraged by the racism that ruined its superbowl.  Are Tucker, Hannity and the other ilks at the national tv networks equally dismayed, disturbed and distraught?  Did they not even warn their viewers of what was coming so they could cancel their get blind drunk and put on 10 lbs Sunday plans?

I don't think it's as black-and-white (pun not intended) as you think it is.

I don't think everyone is ever really happy with the Super Bowl halftime shows performances.

I know you can't please everyone but it's clear that the Super Bowl halftime show is consistently one of the most controversial, divisive American activities in human memory. There's always a fairly loud group of people who voice their hatred or confusion with the halftime show.

The only Super Bowl halftime show that a lot of people actually could agree on liking was the one with Prince.

That said, I can see why people would be upset about this halftime show. A lot of (mostly older, mostly white) people still have problems with hip hop/rap music and I can't say that I blame them for not liking that music genre. There's honestly a lot wrong with most of it but that's another topic.

I think it was the provocative dancing and the lyrical content that was an issue. It was an issue in 2020 (?) when Shakira and J. Lo performed. There was an issue with that for the Weeknd last year And then again, Snoop Dogg smoking weed on camera (it's not legal everywhere yet and there are a lot of people who still think it's immoral) didn't help.

I don't think it's necessarily wrong for "rural Murka" to have its own cultural values and expectations and to voice their dissatisfaction when their values and expectations are not respected. There's a fine line between political conservatism and social conservatism and sexual conservatism. They're all related so it's not surprising that political conservatives would bemoan sexual or verbal liberality.

15 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

What's good for the people of NYC simply wasn't what was good Manchin's constituents (aka the people he serves). Respect that and start making revisions to get him aboard

The polling is mixed, but it does seem like the bill was generally popular in WV before the hatchet men got to work. And make no mistake, it would have improved the lives of average citizens of WV which makes Manchin's actions pretty hard to defend.  

13 minutes ago, george jar jar martin said:

fify

Okay.

Let's say I am wrong and you are right. The likelihood of Manchin making decisions based on his donors is high. That's fine.

Is Manchin the only Congressman who makes decisions based on the desires of their donors?

There's a much larger issue here that needs to be recognized and addressed. Singling out Joe Manchin and throwing him under the bus is not the solution. It's a distraction and a sign of internal discord.

And the Democratic party needs less of these discordant distractions.

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The polling is mixed, but it does seem like the bill was generally popular in WV before the hatchet men got to work. And make no mistake, it would have improved the lives of average citizens of WV which makes Manchin's actions pretty hard to defend.  

Again there's a much larger issue at work here than just Joe Manchin.

Also I think the Democrats have to better with their messaging. All the policies they have and desire can do a lot of good for the country...so why are so many people running away from it?

You can blame Republicans all you want but - at some point - we gotta be able to take a look at ourselves and ask "what can we do better?"

1 hour ago, BlackLightning said:

There's a much larger issue here that needs to be recognized and addressed. Singling out Joe Manchin and throwing him under the bus is not the solution. It's a distraction and a sign of internal discord.

No matter how you feel about what constituency Manchin is trying to cater to, singling him out for fucking with his entire party on a bill for six months is absolutely appropriate.  If he didn't want to pass anything (in terms of the reconciliation bill) - which at this point seems pretty clear - then he should have just said so wayyy before late December.  

3 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

A lot of (mostly older, mostly white) people still have problems

Yet, evidently not with -- who are the majority of the players again? -- breaking their brains and bodies for lot of (mostly older, mostly white) people's entertainment? Which seems to be missed, over and over and over . . . .

Dem messaging is bad, but in this case, hardly the problem. Manchin made sure to f*** with his party for half a year, made Biden look weak and foolish, went to Fox to tout it, and a lot of Biden's bad polling numbers are due to him.

As for "getting him onboard," I don't see how they could have debased themselves any more to please him, other than, uh, performing sexual services on him, live on prime time tv. Maybe a stick instead of the ton of carrots would have been in order.

13 hours ago, DMC said:

No matter how you feel about what constituency Manchin is trying to cater to, singling him out for fucking with his entire party on a bill for six months is absolutely appropriate.  If he didn't want to pass anything (in terms of the reconciliation bill) - which at this point seems pretty clear - then he should have just said so wayyy before late December.  

Yeah that would piss me off too. I was more bemused and annoyed than I was angry when it happened because I had seen it coming. But yeah, I'd be pissed if I were them too.

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

made Biden look weak and foolish and a lot of Biden's bad polling numbers are due to him.

Now THAT is not on Manchin.

It's Biden fault that he looks weak and foolish. He's the one who falls asleep on televised summits, he's the one who made all the Afghanistan calls and he's the one who gets tripped up by the teleprompter.

And the failure of BBB is only a fraction of the cause of Biden's unpopularity.

It's honestly very sad. I kinda knew it would happen which is why I never wanted him to be president.

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

Yet, evidently not with -- who are the majority of the players again? -- breaking their brains and bodies for lot of (mostly older, mostly white) people's entertainment? Which seems to be missed, over and over and over . . . .

Yeaaaahhhh

That's a good point.

Football is bloodsport...not too far removed from "mandingo fighting"

14 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

I thought blacklightning doesn’t like older people and wants to join a Russian book club, so why does this opinion of Manchin matter?

LOL

I did want to join a Russian book club, that's true. But it was about A Song of Ice and Fire. You know, the reason why we all are here on this forum...

I don't know where you got the older people thing from though.

50 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

It's Biden fault that he looks weak and foolish. He's the one who falls asleep on televised summits, he's the one who made all the Afghanistan calls and he's the one who gets tripped up by the teleprompter.

I've not seen a single legitimate example of him sleeping that isn't bullshit. Links from anywhere credible?

Wrt teleprompter, his work to overcome his stutter is well documented. 

There is plenty to criticize without slinging right wing bullshit.

20 minutes ago, Week said:

I've not seen a single legitimate example of him sleeping that isn't bullshit. Links from anywhere credible?

Wrt teleprompter, his work to overcome his stutter is well documented. 

There is plenty to criticize without slinging right wing bullshit.

Those were just quick tongue-in-cheek examples which illustrate the present issue with the "Sleepy Joe" memes. I don't really blame him for it (I'm indifferent at worst and deeply sympathetic at best when it comes to nodding off in meetings or fumbling over your words) but it only feeds into the "Sleepy Joe" imaging.

In other words, it only makes him look more weak and foolish.

I have many issues (most of them small but altogether they are significant) with Joe Biden with the biggest issues revolving around his senatorial history. For example, his staunch support of racial segregation in 1975. If you ask most people (intelligent people at that) that if they thought segregation was resolved by the Brown vs. Board of Education ruling in 1954, they'd would say yes. Most of those same people would be taken aback that it was still an issue twenty-one years after. Not only was it still an issue but it was treated like there still had never been any kind of resolution at all.

And I can't blame them: twenty-one years is a generation. Any issue over two decades with a concrete resolution would be a bygone thing right? Water under the bridge? Yet, enter Joe Biden at stage left.

Now I get it. The culture of the times, people can change over time, a lengthy history in the spotlight is bound to have some duds, blah blah. I get it; I really do.

But it is what it is. I'm not happy with his political history nor was I ever happy about it.

5 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Those were just quick tongue-in-cheek examples which illustrate the present issue with the "Sleepy Joe" memes. 

[..snip]

In other words, it only makes him look more weak and foolish.

To be tongue-in-cheek it ought to be humorous or flippant not regurgitation of Right-wing Faux News.

:rolleyes:

Archived