UK Politics: Gray's Anatomy

A Horse Named Stranger

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

I see Prince Andrew intends to call disgraced rapist and alleged three time murderer, Kevin Spacey, to speak on his behalf in court.

*purchases 10kg of popcorn*

When he made that Christmas video two of his accusers had died. I bet there already were conspiracy theories about those two deaths, and Spacey decided to respond to those theories with the “killing with kindness” video. Out of spite and a love of black humour. I certainly would!

The suicide the next day was just icing on the spite cake.

:lol:

The state of some of these morons. Do these working class football fans really believe that Jacob Rees Mogg and chums are more aligned with their best interests than Neville?

He should tell some of these prats that he'll stick to the football if they stick to the painting and decorating and collecting the fucking bins. Cretins. 

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

When he made that Christmas video two of his accusers had died. I bet there already were conspiracy theories about those two deaths, and Spacey decided to respond to those theories with the “killing with kindness” video. Out of spite and a love of black humour. I certainly would!

The suicide the next day was just icing on the spite cake.

It's a goddam fucking shame that he turned out to be a monster. He was one of my all time favourite actors. So disappointing.

Just got back from a canvassing session, knocking on doors with Bambos. 

You see all those Tory MPs going on the news and claiming that nobody outside Westminster cares about Partygate?

Well, holy shit, if that's what they truly believe then these people are set for one of the biggest shocks of their over-privileged lives. 

Every single person I spoke to today was furious. Many had their own stories to tell. And the Tories are getting annihilated in the locals. 

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Just got back from a canvassing session, knocking on doors with Bambos. 

You see all those Tory MPs going on the news and claiming that nobody outside Westminster cares about Partygate?

Well, holy shit, if that's what they truly believe then these people are set for one of the biggest shocks of their over-privileged lives. 

Every single person I spoke to today was furious. Many had their own stories to tell. And the Tories are getting annihilated in the locals. 

Yes. Even of Bojo survives the report (if it ever comes out not half-redacted) and the MP’s bottle writing their letters, a local election decimation will soon see ink put to paper.

Johnson hanging on until after the local elections might even be the best outcome for the left.

The Tories decide to wink at Johnson's behaviour, get slaughtered in the May elections and then kick him out in a panic. That would make it difficult for them to disassociate themselves for the entitlement and corruption he now represents.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What's the deal with the DUP trying to do some kind of backdoor shenanigans to kill the NI protocol? Something about being in charge of Irish sea border checks and just not bothering to do them?

Goes all back to Brexit and the three May promises that were irreconcillable.

Reminder.

1. Britain will be free to set its own rules and regulations and do their own trade agreements

2. No Border on the Irish Island.

3. No Border between NI and the rest of the UK.

Only two of those were ever to be had at the same time. Different priorities between those flag waving imbeciles in NI and those in England.

The DUP's absolute priority was promise number 3 preferably at the expense of promise number 2.

Their Brexiter counterparts in the UK decided that promise number 3 was the most expendable one. Which didn't surprise anyone - apart from the DUP ofc. 

The EU (and Irish position) was. You are not gonna break promise no. 2 if you want any kind of deal from us. Which sorta Brexit you want, and whether you break promise number 1 or number 3 is quite frankly none of our business. But you really don't get to toy with the GFA.

Guess who lost out there. They bang on about the NI protocol, which is economically attaching them closer to the ROI (EU) than to the UK. As there's no real alternative to it, unless the English Brexiters give up on their priority/promise number 1.  

That's about it. The UK is always doing that performance art bit before talks with EU about triggering article 16, but that's just that. They don't want to open pandora's box of getting into a trade war with the EU, while also angering the US under Irish Joe Biden. Like I said, the DUP got thrown under a red Brexit bus, and they have problems coming to terms with that reality.

The 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday. I'm surprised it's not a bigger deal, the BBC have a near-headline story running on it but their coverage seems to be downplaying the continuing anger in Northern Ireland over the failure to punish those responsible and how much that's still a problem.

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The EU (and Irish position) was. You are not gonna break promise no. 2 if you want any kind of deal from us. Which sorta Brexit you want, and whether you break promise number 1 or number 3 is quite frankly none of our business. But you really don't get to toy with the GFA.

Guess who lost out there. They bang on about the NI protocol, which is economically attaching them closer to the ROI (EU) than to the UK. As there's no real alternative to it, unless the English Brexiters give up on their priority/promise number 1.

Irish reunification and simply removing Northern Ireland from British jurisdiction would solve the problem, but neither side wants to float that as a possible solution right now (or preferably any time in the foreseeable future), and even the Republicans in Northern Ireland are keeping their powder dry on that idea until the demographics and popular support is firmly in their favour (probably in another 10 years, maybe less).

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

The 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday. I'm surprised it's not a bigger deal, the BBC have a near-headline story running on it but their coverage seems to be downplaying the continuing anger in Northern Ireland over the failure to punish those responsible and how much that's still a problem.

Irish reunification and simply removing Northern Ireland from British jurisdiction would solve the problem, but neither side wants to float that as a possible solution right now (or preferably any time in the foreseeable future), and even the Republicans in Northern Ireland are keeping their powder dry on that idea until the demographics and popular support is firmly in their favour (probably in another 10 years, maybe less).

However, that is clearly not the sort of solution the DUP is looking for. The funniest thing they ever did, was when they put their support behind Johnson, when he ousted May, only to get screwed over by him. I know, I know, I shouldn't laugh at stupid people getting so easily DUPed, but that they were so oblivious to the problems the two Bs (Brexit and Boris) would cause them. that is actually quite funny.

I dunno. Rumour has it Fox is secretly vaccinated. If true, he's probably just claiming to be taking Ivermectin and in fact is taking Lemsip instead.

I notice that Meghan and Harry are now taking a principled stance against COVID misinformation and showing solidarity with Neil Young by, well, not actually taking their material off Spotify, let's not be hasty. But certainly leaking to the press that they're 'concerned'. Not concerned enough to cancel their extremely lucrative multi-million pound payout, obviously. But certainly frowning a bit.

It would be tricky to pull their material, to be fair, as so far it amounts to a single podcast special recorded over a year ago. Some more cynical types might note that Spotify are said to be unhappy with Harry and Meghan about this and wonder if the topics are linked in some way. Not me, of course.

Honestly, if Spotify chose to do a deal with Meghan and Harry for millions it's on them. I simply can't imagine what Meghan and Harry have to say that will be that interesting to enough people to warrant that kind of pay day. But then again, I've never listened to an entire speech given by any royal, so I am clearly not their target audience. 

Archived