UK Politics: Gray's Anatomy

A Horse Named Stranger

I think Boris has a sense of what is right and wrong and when he's done something horrendously wrong. Whilst Trump would basically say, "Yeah, so?" Boris does try to deny it and, when that doesn't work, blames someone else.

It is a good sign that the Tories haven't gone Republican levels of insane that even they seem to be looking at these tactics with horror. The British PM has been caught in brazen lies about these parties and that would have been a resigning matter for literally anyone else. Hence May putting the knife in because she knows that would never fly for her.

7 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I mean the UK doesn’t really. It doesn’t get talked up as a virtue in the way it occasionally does in the US but Johnson’s incompetent, it was always obvious he was going to be incompetent and it’s not been a problem for him until now.

And still wouldn't be if he'd been slightly more competent at following his own rules. Though really that's not a competence issue, that's a class / attitude issue. Rules are for the ruled, not the rulers.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think Boris has a sense of what is right and wrong and when he's done something horrendously wrong. Whilst Trump would basically say, "Yeah, so?" Boris does try to deny it and, when that doesn't work, blames someone else.

It is a good sign that the Tories haven't gone Republican levels of insane that even they seem to be looking at these tactics with horror. The British PM has been caught in brazen lies about these parties and that would have been a resigning matter for literally anyone else. Hence May putting the knife in because she knows that would never fly for her.

She has a penile disadvantage which means she would more probably be penalised for things others would not.

Though she cannot publicly believe these things, because sexism no longer exists, especially among her colleagues. So it's some other reason for such a double standard existing.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

She has a penile disadvantage which means she would more probably be penalised for things others would not.

Though she cannot publicly believe these things, because sexism no longer exists, especially among her colleagues. So it's some other reason for such a double standard existing.

Hot take alert. 

24 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

For more context with Boris's attempt to smear Keir Stammer for not prosecuting Saville  I give you this wonderful Boris Quote

Not to mention "investigating historic crimes" - I thought our police don't do that, even the history was les than a year ago?

Huh. Who'd have thought that threatening to unilaterally begin tearing up treaties between nations and showing a cavalier disregard for the rule of international law would have consequences.

Kremlin calls Boris Johnson’s Ukraine diplomacy efforts ‘utterly confused’

The Russian deputy ambassador to the UN, Dmitry Polyanskiy, told Sky News: “There is always room for diplomacy, but frankly we don’t trust British diplomacy. I think in recent years British diplomacy has shown that it is absolutely worthless in such issues, I am sorry to say.

Making the gaffe-prone Truss foreign secretary instead of someone with greater foreign policy acumen and experience, like Worzel Gummidge or Spotty from SuperTed, may, in hindsight, have been a bad move.

But Liz is so popular with the rank and file Tory membership! Doesn't that always translate into amazing performance in a top government job?

Oh, wait.

Anyway, levelling up, then? A 'globally competitive city' in every area of the UK (what does this mean?), increase 'pride of place' (how? why?), improve public transport a tiny bit, improve broadband slower than previously promised, dribs and drabs of science funding, give every part of England that wants it devolution (except most of them already said they don't, and anyway this government just ignores devolved bodies when it feels like it so what's the point?). It's all a bit rubbish, for a flagship policy.

Oh, and Edwin Poots (remember him?) has decided to stop all border checks after taking legal advice. I suspect he had to take quite a lot of legal advice before he found a lawyer who'd give him the answer he wanted (ie the incorrect one).

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Oh, and Edwin Poots (remember him?) has decided to stop all border checks after taking legal advice. I suspect he had to take quite a lot of legal advice before he found a lawyer who'd give him the answer he wanted (ie the incorrect one).

That's what I was talking about the other day. Stormont shenanigans to end the NI protocol to all intents and purposes, with or without Westminster agreement. Johnson is now in a compromised position I think. EU won't stand for this and will demand Johnson acts. The no-deal Brexit faction of conservative MPs will be celebrating and could revolt if Johnson tries to put checks back in place.

Surprised the following hasn't been highlighted in the media yet:

For people like me, scraping by on benefits, in my case getting £90 a week for looking after two grown-ass adults, the £150 fuel discount is a conjuring trick.

What nobody is pointing out is that I, and others in the same boat as me, don't physically pay the council tax. My bill is zero, because I am so poor that I receive Council Tax Support. I do not hand any cash over to Enfield council.

However, I do hand cash over to Eon for my gas and electricity.

So, can someone explain to me how I am supposed to put this £150 towards my fuel bills if I never see the cash.

Rishi? Anyone? Am I missing something here? Or are the Tories once again fucking over the poor to pay for everyone else?

Archived