UK Politics: Gray's Anatomy

A Horse Named Stranger

And the First Minister in NI resigned in a publicity stunt.

Any bets how long, before a NI court tells Poots to stop whining and carry on with the checks?

Looks like Scotland is atm the only part of the UK that is run by something like a competent (local) goverment.

26 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Any bets how long, before a NI court tells Poots to stop whining and carry on with the checks?

Looks like Scotland is atm the only part of the UK that is run by something like a competent (local) goverment.

Drakeford in Wales seems pretty competent from what little I know of it

Just getting in after a long day at work, but to be clear: Rishi Sunak is offering to lend us all £200 towards our energy bills, which we then have to pay back?

You were so close to being Prime Minister, Rishi. *shakes head*

38 minutes ago, mormont said:

'We need to get the public back on side. This calls for a very special blend of distorted perspective, self-pity, and blasphemy'.

I don't think the DUP has that sorta sway in England.

3 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Drakeford in Wales seems pretty competent from what little I know of it

Drakeford just likes to do the opposite of whatever England does. Granted recently this has been mostly the right thing to do but that's by accident not because he's actually competent.

2 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Drakeford just likes to do the opposite of whatever England does. Granted recently this has been mostly the right thing to do but that's by accident not because he's actually competent.

But is that because he’s Welsh or because he’s Labour?

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The reports today were that the checks were still going on, despite the order, although nobody seems quite sure what's going to happen next.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Apologies for the double post, but even in what has been a fairly remarkable week, this stands out for sheer WTFery.

The phrase 'rats leaving a sinking ship' springs to mind after the four resignations today.

I understand that Boris transparently thought that waffling about Jimmy Savile might provide a distraction from his other issues but distractions which make him look even more dishonest and desperate don't seem the best choice.

It does leave a bit of a sour taste that the boss lying about another politician is the apparently the only breach of integrity worth resigning over. Not bothered about all those other failures of governance then?

I guess if you’re being investigated by the police and/or going to be fired or reassigned in a scapegoating clean up, you might as well make some kind of principled stand while you’ve still got the chance.

26 minutes ago, john said:

It does leave a bit of a sour taste that the boss lying about another politician is the apparently the only breach of integrity worth resigning over. Not bothered about all those other failures of governance then?

I guess if you’re being investigated by the police and/or going to be fired or reassigned in a scapegoating clean up, you might as well make some kind of principled stand while you’ve still got the chance.

I did think as well, it does feel like it might be a good excuse for getting out of there.

I guess being able to say that you had a senior bureaucrat position at No10 is good for the resume, but those who worked for Johnson might have to try to word their resume in such a way that it is not obvious they worked there while he was PM.

3 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Worth noting - those were the only 3 parties to stand a candidate - though it IS pleasing the UKIP couldn't even do anything there - except show their usual class.

Turnout was just 24%  the lowest ever for a byelection. 

UKIP and the Psychedelic Party combined did not even out perform the spoiled ballets 1084 (which had grown 4 times the average amount)  which when you consider the low turnout should worry the Tories.

Archived