UK Politics: Gray's Anatomy

A Horse Named Stranger

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

That's a little melodramatic. She apparently asked them if they wanted to carry on and they said yes.

Which just highlights how both the government and the public are behaving poorly. The meeting should have stopped then and there, not be left up to what people want to do. 

Quite a lot seems to have happened today - they don't have anything to distract from do they?

Quite apart from not isolating after testing positive (and why the hell test so late in the day - is it really that hard to take the test 15 minutes before leaving home?) and the completely unrelated announcement that we might stop self-isolation after testing positive...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60318610

No "real" people care about the parties - which means that those complaining aren't real people, and can be ignored; and all reasonable, real people don't care - and you're a reasonable, real person aren't you? See, you don't care after all when it's phrased that way.

https://www.nytimespost.com/get-rid-of-unnecessary-red-tape-tory-mp-slams-brussels-bureaucracy/

Traffic queues at Dover are nothing to do with Brexit, just EU red tape, because borders are only supposed to apply in one direction.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-keir-starmer-latest-news-b2010856.html?src=rss

Champagne, Tinsel and BJ at "totally not a party; and even if it was, I wasn't there" christmas quiz.

33 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Tory bots out in full force

Mini rant: PMQs can be incredibly rage-inducing, but by far the thing that puts my TV in fear of its life the most is when Johnson says something like: "The people of the UK want ..." or "The people of the UK care about ..."  I'm one of the people of the UK, and you do not speak for me, you flubbering blamange!!  :angry2::angry2:

Judging from the two posts above, this seems to be classic and approved Toryspeak.

We know a lot of musicians who played in these groups back in day, both British and US  -- they know what they saw, and they saw a LOT of under 16, both boys and girls.

One of the great producers from the era -- even now, and so much younger, we all will recognize the names he put on vinyl -- and the film titles for which he did the sound tracks -- says he sometimes in his most depressed moments thinks that in England at at the very least, the whole point of the music biz in the 1960's 70's was paedaephilia.

He retired quite some years ago and now is a full time environmental activist, to which he's put all his very significant money, other than what's he's earmarked for his grand-daughters' education.

I thought Theresa May was supposed to be strong and stable.

Hard to imagine a more presumptuous and pretentious phrase than "I speak on behalf of all of the UK". it is also rendered ridiculous when multiple people claim to be doing so. Surely as long as one citizen is speaking on behalf of the entire UK then there is no need for anyone else to do so.

Oh wait, I was wrong, there is another more pretentious phrase "best ever prime minister" in association with the name Boris Johnson. Though it may be true if all other past PMs were complete AND utter shite.

One might be able to credibly claim to be speaking on behalf of all those who voted for you. Though with the results of recent by-elections it may not be such a safe assumption.

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I loved it.  It was much better than “Cats”.  I’m going to see it again, and again.

Was that the production where Zouma had the lead role? I believe other versions had much higher production values. 

13 hours ago, ljkeane said:

That's a little melodramatic. She apparently asked them if they wanted to carry on and they said yes.

Isn’t the point she should have managed to take the test 30 minutes before the meeting so she knew the results before starting?

8 hours ago, ants said:

Was that the production where Zouma had the lead role? I believe other versions had much higher production values. 

No, I think this is more about Scot's fantasy of neutering James Corden - I might be projecting there, tho.

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Jacob Rees-Mogg begging for Sun readers to identify all the regulations they want abolished. 
Goodbye health and safety, food and buikding standards!

I'm sure it will be easy to come up with some easily achievable petty EU rules they can scrap without any effort and claim victory.

we can start with straight bananas / bent cucumbers.

once we have got past the fake EU rules maybe we can look at the real ones like removing VAT on Energy as promised before the referendum.   VAT on Tampons.    oh sorry I forgot they voted down removing VAT on Energy.  oh well.

3 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I'm sure it will be easy to come up with some easily achievable petty EU rules they can scrap without any effort and claim victory.

we can start with straight bananas / bent cucumbers.

Considering it was the corporations who had pushed for these undoubtedly stupid rules, I'm curious how abolishing them will work out.

The whole point of a, creating a Minister for Brexit Opportunities; b, giving the job to the living incarnation of unearned upper class smugness that is Rees-Mogg; and c, starting his job with an appeal to Sun readers to write to him and remind themselves of all the things they hate about the EU, is surely obvious. They want their good old reliable culture war back.

I said at the time and it's a pretty obvious thing, but actually exiting the EU doesn't change anything for these people as far as using Europe as a culture war punchbag goes. Want to fire up the Tory base? Pick fights with Europe! Preferably one-sided, largely imaginary ones. It worked when we were in the EU, and it works now we've left. It'll remain a go-to for decades yet.

Archived