UK Politics: Gray's Anatomy

A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

And BFC is currently absent. COINCIDENCE?!

I've been busy deleting my whole online presence.  So if I go for the top job they can't pull me up for having called loads of people cunts on an online fantasy forum. 

Don't mind Cressida, she's no John Stephens, but she's better than the last few by far. 

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I've been busy deleting my whole online presence.  So if I go for the top job they can't pull me up for having called loads of people cunts on an online fantasy forum. 

Don't mind Cressida, she's no John Stephens, but she's better than the last few by far. 

You've got some more deleting to do.

And... low bar

2 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Considering it was the corporations who had pushed for these undoubtedly stupid rules, I'm curious how abolishing them will work out.

They didn't push for them because they don't exist they are inventions of...wait for it...Boris Johnson while he was a bored EU reporter

18 minutes ago, kiko said:

They didn't push for them because they don't exist they are inventions of...wait for it...Boris Johnson while he was a bored EU reporter

I think it was those inventions thst got him fired as a journalist.

edit: apparently not. 

1 hour ago, kiko said:

which is why its a very easy thing for Mog to claim they have now removed these entirely fictional EU rules and claim it as a Brexit victory.   Hence why he's asking Sun readers.  

7 hours ago, kiko said:

Seriously?! Politicians in Germany pulled this cucumber thing every time they wanted to distract from their own failures (so, quite often) fo years.

48 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Seriously?! Politicians in Germany pulled this cucumber thing every time they wanted to distract from their own failures (so, quite often) fo years.

for a list of the lies about EU rules published in UK newspapers  see this link

https://inktank.fi/this-list-of-all-euromyths-printed-by-uk-media-proves-how-much-right-wing-press-lies/

This is very normal and nothing to be concerned about. Just a 'senior ally' of the Prime Minister suggesting that he should not be treated the same as any other offender because he might lose his job if he were. 

Loving also the continued implication that parties were fine under the regulations so long as they were held at work. 

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Was anyone saying the parties were all illegal and hypocritical because they were being held at Johnson's home? I thought it was all about the fact they were parties and the venue is irrelevant.

It was not a party, it was a work event, which happened to look like a party, because Johnson is living in his office - well, in the same building as his office, but that's splitting hairs.

If any such behaviour occured at his home, it would be a party, but since it occured at his work place it was work event. 

Breaking news:

Johnson is one of the estimated 50 people the police have sent a questionnaire about the parties to. That means that he is basically officially under investigation for breaking the law.

Another milestone that would have caused any previous PM to resign.

It would be interesting if he / his lawyer tried that on again, since I believe he's on public record having apologised about something to do with parties.

I wonder, would Johnson lose his job automatically if found to have broken his own regulations? I believe it is just financial penalty for having partied under lockdown, so he doesn't lose his job by having to spend time in the nick. Most normal people would resign having been found to have egregiously flouted the law they signed into being and promoted to the people, but we know that won't happen. So the only way he loses his job is if the caucus boots him out. That is merely a possibility, not a certainty, esp if it is found others in the caucus also broke the same law.

The UK's unwritten constitution strikes again. Because the UK government depends on everyone behaving like "gentlemen", then Johnson can basically get away with anything his party let him get away with, and he has been breaking accepted norms ever since he became PM. It is why so many people think him so dangerous. As with Trump, once norms are broken it can be very difficult to re-establish them.

As for his apologies, they were carefully mealy-mouthed ones that did not admit that he personally had broken the law.

6 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It would be interesting if he / his lawyer tried that on again, since I believe he's on public record having apologised about something to do with parties.

I wonder, would Johnson lose his job automatically if found to have broken his own regulations? I believe it is just financial penalty for having partied under lockdown, so he doesn't lose his job by having to spend time in the nick. Most normal people would resign having been found to have egregiously flouted the law they signed into being and promoted to the people, but we know that won't happen. So the only way he loses his job is if the caucus boots him out. That is merely a possibility, not a certainty, esp if it is found others in the caucus also broke the same law.

I think if an MP gets a Criminal Conviction their local constituents can petition for a byelection.  Not sure if breaking the lockdown laws qualifies for this, but it really would be funny and tragic if his MP's chose to keep him in the job only for him to then be kicked out like this.  (assuming he then looses the local election)

Sadly Johnson would have to get a prison sentence for his constituents to be able to recall him. He is only going to get a fine for breaking lockdown rules.

Edit: they could also recall him if he got suspended from parliament, but one of the unwritten rules Johnson has broken means that as PM he can now ignore any sanctions brought against him.

1 minute ago, A wilding said:

Sadly Johnson would have to get a prison sentence for his constituents to be able to recall him. He is only going to get a fine for breaking lockdown rules.

probably yes.  but if he is fined for breaking the lockdown rules and as a result it proved he lied to parliament could he then be suspended from the house for 14 days?  for Can the PM be suspended?

Archived