UK Politics: Gray's Anatomy

A Horse Named Stranger

To be fair, while there obviously wasn't the racial dimension to add to the class issue, Sarah Ferguson got an otherwise comparable treatment from the press to Meghan Markle - digging up family dirt, paparazzi harassment, tutting from the Royal commentators about her unsuitability, innuendo, leaked stories about how difficult she was and how certain Royals disliked her. The difference has been really that Meghan and Harry have responded very differently. 

Time will tell whether Meghan and Harry's response is better than Ferg's. Ultimately if Meghan and Harry have a long and happy life together that will be vindication of their decisions. If it all turns to shit for them then either there is no good response, or there is a third way (perhaps 4th way, since Di's response ended up with her dead) that can mean a happy and fulfilling life.

Perhaps the third / 4th way is the end of the monarchy.

My workplace has closed today so I'm at home. From my window it hasn't looked too bad, but it's easy to misjudge storms. I once slept soundly through one in Germany; when I went out the next morning I found that half the trees in the city seemed to have blown down. I had to climb over one of them to get to work. 

UK enegry wholesale prices are going to go up again.   A power station in Kent has been damaged

fromm BBC live feed

A tower at a power station in Kent appears to have collapsed after being damaged during Storm Eunice.

Uniper UK, which owns Grain Power Station near Rochester, tweeted: "A weather-related incident has occurred at Grain power station, during storm Eunice."

It said there were no casualties and no risk to the local community.

"However, it has caused some damage on site and the power station has been temporarily taken offline as a precaution," the company said.

It's not too bad down here. That said, we had to take in all our bins, washing line etc and store them in the shed. And at work (a college) we had wheelie bins flying across the car park and smashing into cars, setting off alarms and resulting in the bins having to be chained up (not looking forwards to the damage claim furore over that). I was almost hit by a flying dustbin lid on the way home, and another errant wheelie bin went flying into a busy road and nearly hit a car (they had to swerve to miss it).

So, nerve wracking but not horrendous.

Meanwhile, I present to you possibly the least surprising sentence in recent UK political history:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60439796

Ministers have confirmed in recent weeks that they intend to ban importing hunting trophies from threatened species like lions, elephants and rhinos.

But it's understood a ban on foie gras and fur imports is now likely to be dropped from the legislation, after a number of concerns raised by cabinet ministers.

Some - including Brexit opportunities minister Jacob Rees Mogg - have raised concerns about personal choice.

Of course he did. If there was one person in the cabinet, heck the whole country, you'd have picked to be a staunch defender of the individual's right to eat foie gras it would 100% be Jacob. 

Well, I just assume he imports his from France or Belgium.

Anyway, foie gras is one of those truely horrible and legally weird things.

The production is considered as animal cruelty and thus banned in most EU countries (exceptions France, Spain, (parts of) Belgium, Hungary and Bulgaria). However the sale is permitted in everywhere in the EU, if I am not mistaken. 

Foie gras should be forbidden.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Meanwhile, I present to you possibly the least surprising sentence in recent UK political history:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60439796

Of course he did. If there was one person in the cabinet, heck the whole country, you'd have picked to be a staunch defender of the individual's right to eat foie gras it would 100% be Jacob. 

The other weird objection I saw was the Defence Secretary complaining it will make it harder to make the bearskin hits for the Guards regiments 

4 hours ago, mormont said:

Of course he did. If there was one person in the cabinet, heck the whole country, you'd have picked to be a staunch defender of the individual's right.

But not an individuals rights to decide what to do with their own body, or sex organs...

Presumably Johnson is really desperate that Liz doesn't die of COVID since it would make his 'mission accomplished' announcement look spectacularly ill-considered.

If I'm following the announcement right, COVID has agreed to stop at the border. England at least now has decided to live with it, which means you have your freedom back. Except that the Prime Minister wants you to celebrate your new-found freedom by, er, not exercising it. Instead you should do all the things you were doing before, but voluntarily this time. Except testing or anything that costs money, because that will end. The strategy is to learn to live with not spending any more money on COVID. 

46 minutes ago, mormont said:

Presumably Johnson is really desperate that Liz doesn't die of COVID since it would make his 'mission accomplished' announcement look spectacularly ill-considered.

If I'm following the announcement right, COVID has agreed to stop at the border. England at least now has decided to live with it, which means you have your freedom back. Except that the Prime Minister wants you to celebrate your new-found freedom by, er, not exercising it. Instead you should do all the things you were doing before, but voluntarily this time. Except testing or anything that costs money, because that will end. The strategy is to learn to live with not spending any more money on COVID. 

Andrew desperate, too, that she’s written that cheque for £12 mill already, because I doubt Chuck or Willy will.

Archived