UK Politics: Gray's Anatomy

A Horse Named Stranger

4 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

The heir apparent of Charles is Prince William.

We are on a fantasy board. You should know how that stuff works!

Yes the weirdo Standrew sitting in the old family house with that red Maxwell woman is going to sacrifice children to become king. The usual stuff.

28 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Would it look as bad if only Charles died?

I imagine his mum would be upset. Camilla too. Not sure the country at large would be taking up the pitchforks against Johnson though.

Nice introduction from the Speaker
"The man for the rules, Matt Hancock"

As for BJ - he delivered his announcement well enough (whether or not I agree with him); but he's an absolute rabbit in the headlights when anyone asks him an unscripted question.

So business as usual then.

"No free tests after April 1st"

Q: "So how can people qualify for antivirals, for which they have to have a positive test"
A: "Well obviously, they'll get free tests if symptomatic"

Q: "Could you confirm what symptoms would qualify someone for a test"
A: "Symptomatic patients in the clinically vulnerable category will get free covid tests"

Q: "what about carers, professional or otherwise"
A: "You're getting ahead of us, we'll talk about that in March"

2 minutes ago, john said:

William’s got three kids, it’d have to be a real King Ralph moment for Andrew to get a go. Then again, he’s probably not welcome in family photos these days.

Having been stripped of "Prince" is he anywhere in line at all?

27 minutes ago, john said:

William’s got three kids, it’d have to be a real King Ralph moment for Andrew to get a go. Then again, he’s probably not welcome in family photos these days.

Harry and his two are ahead of Andrew as well

24 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Having been stripped of "Prince" is he anywhere in line at all?

Yes - Parliament would need to pass a law to get rid of him, unless he converts to Catholicism.

Hmmm, I'm gonna need to see the data on that excess mortality data he's showing right now.

Looks very much like he's taking the 5-year average (so expected death rate) to include last year, whilst Delta was ripping through the population and vaccination was just getting started.

Note that the expected death rate for January/February 2022 appears to be significantly higher than for January/February 2021

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

Yes - Parliament would need to pass a law to get rid of him, unless he converts to Catholicism.

TY.

Where do Anne and her sprogs come into things?

There was talk before Will and Kate started procreating that we'd go straight primogenitor; dunno what happened with that though.

3 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Hmmm, I'm gonna need to see the data on that excess mortality data he's showing right now.

Looks very much like he's taking the 5-year average (so expected death rate) to include last year, whilst Delta was ripping through the population and vaccination was just getting started.

Note that the expected death rate for January/February 2022 appears to be significantly higher than for jJanuary/February 2021

He probably is, the question is how much that is throwing off the figures, whether you should in fact stick to pre covid years when talking about excess mortality.

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

He probably is, the question is how much that is throwing off the figures, whether you should in fact stick to pre covid years when talking about excess mortality.

Given that the point he was making was to compare 2022 to pre-covid, the yes, you should compare to the pre-covid.

Had a look at the actual figures, and yes, he has done exactly wheat I suggested. For the first 5 weeks of the year, he's added about 800 deaths to the weekly total (about 6.5% increase) compared to the average used in 2020 and 2021.

He didn't need to though, as the 2022 figure would still be below that average - albeit by less than it appeared on his graph.
Seems unnecessary as his point was still valid, but it would raise questions from those like myself that noticed the altered comparison point (and would remain questioned for those unlike me, who don't chase up and look at the raw figures).

Of course, as with last year, the precautions we're all taking for covid also work on flu, and we've had a very low flu year again - despite (valid) fears back in the Autumn.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

TY.

There was talk before Will and Kate started procreating that we'd go straight primogenitor; dunno what happened with that though.

It happened when Kate was pregnant for the first time, but not retroactively. So the order of inheritance for William (and Harry's) children is strict birth order regardless of gender, but Princess Anne remains behind both of her younger brothers and their kids, and Prince Edward's kids have the younger son ahead of the elder daughter.

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Had a look at the actual figures, and yes, he has done exactly wheat I suggested. For the first 5 weeks of the year, he's added about 800 deaths to the weekly total (about 6.5% increase) compared to the average used in 2020 and 2021.

He didn't need to though, as the 2022 figure would still be below that average - albeit by less than it appeared on his graph.

Seems unnecessary as his point was still valid, but it would raise questions from those like myself that noticed the altered comparison point (and would remain questioned for those unlike me, who don't chase up and look at the raw figures).

Unnecessarily undermining his own point by gilding the lily like this is a very characteristic Boris Johnson move.

ETA - as is announcing a policy before he's worked out the details, of course.

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

TY.

Absolute primogeniture for anyone born after 28 October 2011 (That being the date of the Commonwealth meeting where they agreed to change it)

38 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So Andrew is the first in line to anyone not directly descended from the seed of Charles.

So where does that place Harry? :leaving:

As Maltaran noted above, Harry and his two children come after William and his children but before Andrew. Whatever the family quarrels, Harry and his kids remain in the line of succession. Every kid William and Harry have had has pushed Andrew further down the line of succession.

Archived