Will Edric Storm team up with Dany?

The Bard of Banefort

27 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

As RObert's bastard, Gendry may have a bigger role in the story than Edric. I think having Edric in the picture was to solely demonstrate Stannis's intention to burn someone with king's blood. It's a set up for burning shireen. I'm not sure we will hear too much about Edric in the future.

Gendry’s mother was a commoner and he was never acknowledged by his father. Edric is unique in that he is both highborn and an acknowledged bastard.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:39 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Last we heard of Edric Storm, he was hiding out in Lys after being smuggled away by Davos. Westeros is currently being run by people who want to do him harm: his uncle Stannis, who wants to sacrifice him to the Lord of Light, and Cersei, who wants to kill him because he is one of Robert's bastards. Aegon has already left Essos and landed in Westeros, where he plans to challenge the Lannisters and Tyrells for the Iron Throne. But what about Daenerys?

If Edric wants to ever return home to the Stormlands, he needs the protection of a ruler strong enough to overpower his many enemies. Daenerys hates the Baratheons, but Edric was not alive at the time of Robert's Rebellion, and he has no reason to support his last remaining uncle. Edric is described as both handsome and charismatic, and can relate to Dany's childhood as an exile. Dany could use Edric to rally the Stormland houses to her cause, challenging Aegon's hold on the kingdom. 

There is the matter of what risks would come with legitimizing Edric. As Robert's son, he could in turn become an obstacle to her own path to the throne, but that might be a risk Dany is willing to take during the Dance 2.0, especially if Edric is able to win her trust and publicly declare his support. (This could also be where the show got the idea of Dany legitimizing Gendry from). 

Lastly, there is the possibility of a marriage alliance. I find it unlikely, since Dany's path will likely lead her to Jon Snow instead, but there's no denying that marrying the charismatic son of Robert Baratheon would be a great way to consolidate their claims and win over more allies. For all we know, Edric may even be able to ride a dragon thanks to his Targaryen heritage.

What are your thoughts?

Edric was smuggled to Lys by "King's Men".  These are Stannis loyalists.  My guess is that they are happy to blame Melisandre for any threat to Edric.  Given Edric's age and current circumstances, they are likely to be a major influence on him.  And I can't imagine them being Daenerys supporters, or vice versa.  From her vision at the HoTU it appears that Stannis is one of the "lies" she "slays", whatever that means.  In any event, they likely won't be friendly.

In any event, Edric at this point brings nothing to the table for Dany.  While known to the Stormlords, he isn't old or powerful enough to be of use with them.  I can see him as a claimant as Robert's heir for the Iron Throne, or more likely Lord of Storms End.

Given Stannis's current activities and whereabouts, the faction I can see Edric most likely joining, if any, is the Starks.  Stannis currently is connected with Jon and FArya, and in the North.  But I certainly can't see any reason to join the Targaryens at this point.

14 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Gendry’s mother was a commoner and he was never acknowledged by his father. Edric is unique in that he is both highborn and an acknowledged bastard.

Gendry has had more interactions with main characters than Edric, which is why I say he is probably more important to the story. But Edric may have a better claim over Storm's end than Gendry. If he is legitimized he only brings the Florents over to the side of whoever legitimizes him. If there is another house that is more powerful than the florents and has an heir that is not a bastard, that person brings more to the table than Edric will. I doubt Edric's mother's family is that influential.  

39 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

Gendry has had more interactions with main characters than Edric, which is why I say he is probably more important to the story. But Edric may have a better claim over Storm's end than Gendry. If he is legitimized he only brings the Florents over to the side of whoever legitimizes him. If there is another house that is more powerful than the florents and has an heir that is not a bastard, that person brings more to the table than Edric will. I doubt Edric's mother's family is that influential.  

Robert is dead, only Robert can acknowledge gendry as his bastard. Even if a resurrected Ned came back and claimed he is roberts bastard many would still doubt it since they would need the father to come and acknowledge him as his.

Gendry was common born and raised. Whilst Edric was born in a castle, and was educated as befitting a royal bastard.

Gendry having more interactions dont mean much. Unless edric dies than maybe we see gendry getting recognition and possibly become lord of storms end, and thats a big “IF” because no one knows who he is.

I think Mya, Gendry and Edric will all have their part to play in the finale and the aftermath. All three have different skillsets, connections and backgrounds that will prove useful.

Mya seems to be tied with Sansa, Edric is shaping up to be tied with Dany. Gendry is attached to Arya yes, but also to Brienne, the Brotherhood (which is effectively going to be Westeros' first standing army) and R'hllor (he's a true believer)

I think Robert's great bastards will carry on the Baratheon name.

15 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Bingo, and when you got the backing of a Queen, being a bastard won't be much of an obstacle.

Edric doesn't have an army.  Being the bastard of Robert Baratheon is not going to bring enough asset to the table.  The Baratheon rule barely lasted 14 years.  The Lannisters, Greyjoys, and Starks have torn Westeros apart.  I am sure the common people will prefer a royal Targaryen who can ride dragons.  It will be out of pity and kindness when Dany agrees to help him.  I am also sure that Edric will admire Dany and grow to like her.  

7 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

Robert is dead, only Robert can acknowledge gendry as his bastard. Even if a resurrected Ned came back and claimed he is roberts bastard many would still doubt it since they would need the father to come and acknowledge him as his.

Gendry was common born and raised. Whilst Edric was born in a castle, and was educated as befitting a royal bastard.

Gendry having more interactions dont mean much. Unless edric dies than maybe we see gendry getting recognition and possibly become lord of storms end, and thats a big “IF” because no one knows who he is.

I'm not saying Gendry has a better claim (or any claim) to Storm's end than Edric. I'm saying Edric up to now has been a rather forgettable character. Without looking at legal claim, Gendry seems more important to the story than Edric.

ETA: I think Edric's only purpose in the story is to introduce the idea that Stannis wants to burn someone. Of course I can be wrong, but I would be really surprised if he has any significant role.

On 1/30/2022 at 9:31 AM, Rondo said:

Edric is too young at the moment.  He is only an expat living in the Free Cities.  It would do good to have him grow up with Dany's cupbearers so that the children of Meereen will have a different perspective besides what they got from their parents.  It is helpful for children to have socialization with their own age group.  I see the beginnings of an Empire.  People with experience in many cultures, including Dany herself, are in her circle.  

That is one possible way to heal the rift between the Targaryens and the Baratheons. 

On 1/31/2022 at 6:52 PM, Bullrout said:

Edric is an exile with little to his name.  Should Dany accept him, he will grow up around Missandei.  The boy will be changed forever.  Any thoughts of the Baratheons will be but a distant memory.  I do not think Dany will legitimize him until he is fully grown and proves his loyalty to her.  

One of the bigger issues in the political structure of Westeros is the middle man, the great houses, who stands between the monarch and the lords.  Should Dany choose to make him legitimate, it may mean giving him an average plot of land and an average keep.  It does not mean the lord paramount of Storm's End.  Edric should be grateful.  He would have gotten nothing under Robert.  The only thing he would have gotten from Uncle Stannis is a barbecue and he was to be the roast. 

She will not harm Edric for the sins of his father.  She is a disciplined person.  Dany was willing to take Skahaz in his service despite his background.  Dany gives people chances.  She will either ignore Edric and let him fend for himself, as she has had to do when she was a younger child, or allow him to live in Meereen.  He will be a freeloader but isn't that what the nobles are back home.  Pledging himself and serving Dany is actually the best thing Edric Storm can do for himself.  He has nothing back home.  Dany can offer him a chance to help end slavery and to help return ownership of Westeros back to her. 

Single repeating theme in ASOIAF is that Davos' plans and ideas come from a good place but always backfire. His advice prevented Stannis from taking the city. It prevented him from getting dragons. And constantly undermines his efforts. I think it would keep in the theme if he rescued Edric only to have him fed to Dragons by Daenarys the Stupid 

4 hours ago, Hrulj said:

Single repeating theme in ASOIAF is that Davos' plans and ideas come from a good place but always backfire. His advice prevented Stannis from taking the city. It prevented him from getting dragons. And constantly undermines his efforts. I think it would keep in the theme if he rescued Edric only to have him fed to Dragons by Daenarys the Stupid 

See, I think it will backfire in the sense that it will lead to Shireen being sacrificed instead of Edric.

On 1/29/2022 at 8:39 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Last we heard of Edric Storm, he was hiding out in Lys after being smuggled away by Davos. Westeros is currently being run by people who want to do him harm: his uncle Stannis, who wants to sacrifice him to the Lord of Light, and Cersei, who wants to kill him because he is one of Robert's bastards. Aegon has already left Essos and landed in Westeros, where he plans to challenge the Lannisters and Tyrells for the Iron Throne. But what about Daenerys?

If Edric wants to ever return home to the Stormlands, he needs the protection of a ruler strong enough to overpower his many enemies. Daenerys hates the Baratheons, but Edric was not alive at the time of Robert's Rebellion, and he has no reason to support his last remaining uncle. Edric is described as both handsome and charismatic, and can relate to Dany's childhood as an exile. Dany could use Edric to rally the Stormland houses to her cause, challenging Aegon's hold on the kingdom. 

There is the matter of what risks would come with legitimizing Edric. As Robert's son, he could in turn become an obstacle to her own path to the throne, but that might be a risk Dany is willing to take during the Dance 2.0, especially if Edric is able to win her trust and publicly declare his support. (This could also be where the show got the idea of Dany legitimizing Gendry from). 

Lastly, there is the possibility of a marriage alliance. I find it unlikely, since Dany's path will likely lead her to Jon Snow instead, but there's no denying that marrying the charismatic son of Robert Baratheon would be a great way to consolidate their claims and win over more allies. For all we know, Edric may even be able to ride a dragon thanks to his Targaryen heritage.

What are your thoughts?

Daenerys can proclaim Edric the Lord of Storm's End but it will not mean much unless she backs it up with force.  So what does it mean?  Anybody who wants to claim Storm's End will need force on their side.  Daenerys can choose who she wants to support.  Edric is not a bad choice.  Daenerys is very good with strategy.  She's smart.  She will prop whoever can take SE with the minimum of conflict.  She may choose to bring him to Meereen and then give him a place in her administration when he comes of age. 

Dany is learning a valuable lesson in Meereen.  The ruler should not micromanage the affairs of a city as large as Meereen.  She will find and form a council.  She will want somebody who she can communicate with and Edric is literate.  He makes a nice compliment to Missandei.  The stars may align and the feud between the two families may be healed.  It won't be long before they are the last of their families.  

Dany won't legitimise Edric as her Lord Paramount of the Stormlands. The  Baratheons are a House that have made a rival claim to her own throne. They represent a threat to the Targaryens as a source of pretenders, and especially anybody whose claim runs through Robert (including Cersei's children, who are presented as Baratheons). Robert's bastards are not Baratheons so long as they are Storms, which saves Dany the headache of executing them or exiling them to an order that forswears titles.

Which House she appoints to rule the Stormlands is less important than ending Robert's line. And I don't think the loyalty of the northern lords to the Starks makes a relevant comparison. The  mythology of the Starks is that they have had ruled unbroken for thousands of years and times were never right when there is not a Stark in Winterfell. The Baratheons have only ruled for 300 years, and any prominent Stormlands House to which Dany might appoint as Lords Paramount can probably make some vague claim to descent from the old Durrandon Storm kings.

The Baratheons were raised up by the Targaryens. History may take the same course with Daenerys and Edric. Daenerys is to Edric, what Aegon was to Orys. I do not mean in absolute terms but the possible repetition of history can happen if Edric earns the reward from Daenerys. Edric will be her champion in the Stormlands and earn himself a title. 

There is no half-way to make someone legitimate. If Edric is made Robert's heir then he might claim anything that was Robert's, not just Storms End but also the Iron Throne.

If Dany is going to repeat history is it not better to do what Aegon did in the Reach, as the extinct Gardeners were replaced with the raised-up Tyrrells, so could the Baratheons be replaced by a newly raised-up house (Penrose, for example).

Archived