Golem & The Jinni/ The Hidden Palace by Helen Wecker

Calibandar

Was wondering if anyone else has read these? I liked the first book a lot, came out in 2013, and 8 years later she released the follow up.

Very well written and atmospheric and her take on the djinni is one of my favourite so far ( I might also have to read Saladin Ahmed's book sometime).

Can anyone say how the second is different from the first?

• 3 weeks later...

I've had The Golem and the Djinni on my bookshelf for a few years now. Always meant to get around to reading it but something else always ended up jumping ahead of it in the queue. Anyway, this thread finally spurred me to actually start it and I'm glad it did. I'm about 1/3 through and so far it's very good.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been reading the Hidden Palace and am now about 60% in. I'm generally enjoying it - it's a cool world to explore and Decker is a good writer. But so far I'm having trouble seeing what the point of the book is. It's picked up a little since

Spoiler

WW1 started; I don't know if this counts as a spoiler! But it felt like the first half of the book was just a zoom through of people's lives over 15 years, making it difficult to get attached to any character. It was also hard to care about Chava's and Ahmed's relationship when pretty much every scene we get of them is a fight in a different year over the same issues.

But still, overall enjoying it and hoping the second half of the novel has a stronger narrative!

Archived