The wedding between Brandon and Catelyn.

Lilac & Gooseberries

If Brandon hadn't died before his wedding to Cat where would the wedding take place? Or If Jaime had married Lysa? Or in general, if the heir of a great house marry a lady from another great house the wedding will take place to the groom's or the bride's seat?

apparently Brandon and Cat's wedding was going to take place at Riverrun . that's probably why Brandon's friends were all with him , Rickard was traveling down from Winterfell and Lyanna was in Riverlands. however , we have nothing to say it's a custom that wedding takes place in bride's seat. 

as long as we are on the subject of wedding , I've been meaning to ask how Arianne was thinking of marrying Willas/Renly/Edmure all of whom were heirs/lords and stay heir to Dorne at the same time? how would that work? how would have their children inherit in that scenario? 

30 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

as long as we are on the subject of wedding , I've been meaning to ask how Arianne was thinking of marrying Willas/Renly/Edmure all of whom were heirs/lords and stay heir to Dorne at the same time? how would that work? how would have their children inherit in that scenario? 

I don't remember where I read it, it can be the wiki I dunno, but I think that it was mentioned the first son takes father's lands and second the mother's. Which would just make a mess with Dorne. What if the first one is a girl and the second a son? 

2 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

I don't remember where I read it, it can be the wiki I dunno, but I think that it was mentioned the first son takes father's lands and second the mother's. Which would just make a mess with Dorne. What if the first one is a girl and the second a son? 

well the first one girl and the second boy would resolve it all but that's just luck..

35 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Since we’re talking about that wedding, what was a Royce doing there? I get that Ned would have Vale friends, but Brandon?

there was an Arryn too. maybe he befriended them in the Vale. I assume Brandon kept visiting his little brother in the Vale especially that he lived in Barrowtown which was closer and that he liked riding a lot. 

8 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

well the first one girl and the second boy would resolve it all but that's just luck..

True, a girl could take Dorne and the boy whatever else. 

But let's say that the Lady's father in law had Tywin's ego. That would create havoc. I could even see him not allowing the child's change of surname.

41 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

True, a girl could take Dorne and the boy whatever else. 

But let's say that the Lady's father in law had Tywin's ego. That would create havoc. I could even see him not allowing the child's change of surname.

good thing Doran didn't let Arianne marry them then!

17 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Or in general, if the heir of a great house marry a lady from another great house the wedding will take place to the groom's or the bride's seat?

If I remember correctly, it's the bride's seat. Partly because I think the bride's family is expected to bear the expense.

8 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

If I remember correctly, it's the bride's seat. Partly because I think the bride's family is expected to bear the expense.

That’s not always true, though. Aly Blackwood got married at Winterfell. And Daenaera Velaryon got married at King’s Landing.

4 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

That’s not always true, though. Aly Blackwood got married at Winterfell. And Daenaera Velaryon got married at King’s Landing.

Is there a pattern though? More weddings done at the bride's or groom's seat. Now I'm curious, because wedding expenses were historically considered part of the bride's dowry if I'm not mistaken.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:09 PM, Canon Claude said:

Since we’re talking about that wedding, what was a Royce doing there? I get that Ned would have Vale friends, but Brandon?

Brandon's grandfather's sister was married to a Royce. Could have been a relatively closely related cousin from House Royce that may have been strengthened with Ned's ties to the Vale.

15 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

Is there a pattern though? More weddings done at the bride's or groom's seat. Now I'm curious, because wedding expenses were historically considered part of the bride's dowry if I'm not mistaken.

I think as the bride typically goes to her new husband's home to live, that having the wedding in her household is considered typical. 

On 1/29/2022 at 6:09 PM, Canon Claude said:

The Royces are distant kin of the Starks (riding on above comment). Not sure who this Royce was, but perhaps they were planning to look for a bride for Ned. 

On 1/31/2022 at 2:07 AM, Apoplexy said:

It's kind of hard to tell isn't it. Most of the weddings in ASOIAF are either royal weddings and/or take place in wartime. As such they're not really typical and other factors will be at work to decide the location.

On 1/29/2022 at 6:57 PM, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

If Brandon hadn't died before his wedding to Cat where would the wedding take place? Or If Jaime had married Lysa? Or in general, if the heir of a great house marry a lady from another great house the wedding will take place to the groom's or the bride's seat?

Riverrun to both.  It is a more accessible location. 

The majority of the ruling class would not attend Cat and Brandon's wedding because of the political implications. 

On 1/31/2022 at 11:21 AM, Lord Lannister said:

I think as the bride typically goes to her new husband's home to live, that having the wedding in her household is considered typical. 

6 minutes ago, Lady_Qohor said:

It's kind of hard to tell isn't it. Most of the weddings in ASOIAF are either royal weddings and/or take place in wartime. As such they're not really typical and other factors will be at work to decide the location.

It is indeed hard to tell. I'm surprised GRRM did not include details about where weddings would typically take place considering there are so many weddings in the series. Wedding expenses were always a big deal. Since he hasn't gotten into details about the hierarchy of lords and aristocrats I probably should not be surprised.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2022 at 6:57 PM, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

There are a bunch of examples where it's the woman who travels to her future husband's seat to marry.

Cersei, Elia and Margaery married in King's Landing. Sylva Santagar married on Estermont, Selyse married Stannis on Dragonstone and so on.

The man who gets married at his wife's seat seems to be plot based. Robb married Jeyne at the Crag, far away from his mother and her objections. Edmure married at the Twins because of the Red Wedding. Jon Arryn married at Riverrun because he essentially had no other choice if he wanted the Tullys to join the rebellion on his side. Renly married Margaery at Highgarden, but in his case it makes sense because Renly had embraced everything Tyrell due to his relationship with Loras.

For Brandon and Catelyn's wedding, their marriage isn't regarded as something important in the fandom, but I think that the wedding was absolutely central to the things that went down in the riverlands.

Archived