Football: Deadline Day

Raja

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Lots of optimism for Tottenham when Conte came in but ultimately... lads, it's Spurs. 

Talking about optimism, you and/or consi were quite hopeful about catching Chelsea and make a push for third not that long ago. I stick to my words from back then about that being as likely as Liverpool catching City.

35 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Talking about optimism, you and/or consi were quite hopeful about catching Chelsea and make a push for third not that long ago. I stick to my words from back then about that being as likely as Liverpool catching City.

Definitely not me. I never said anything about catching Chelsea. Quite the contrary, I've been adamant that United will not finish in the top 4. I fully expect United to finish 6th or 7th.

Worst LFC player was Henderson, and he got subbed off.

I mean a passing rate of 50% for a midfielder is objectively not good (very mildly put). Once he got off and Thiago came on, Liverpool looked much more in control of things.

Thiago coming on really helped our midfield and use of the ball.  Henderson has been in terrible form for two months now, and for Firmino that stretches back more than a year.  It shows the danger of extending* contracts for older players, although TBF Thiago is 30 too but looks class whenever he’s fit enough to play.  Keita was imperious at AFCON but struggles in conditions like those against cloggers like them.  At least we didn’t send the talented kids and newcomer out to get their careers shortened by Burnley.  <Joe Gomez nods ruefully>

*This is on my mind because there were reports yesterday that both Firmino and Milner will get their contracts extended.  That seems ludicrous.  Hendo has moved into Milner’s elder statesman role now.  Stop spending big wages on players who cannot contribute.

3 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

*This is on my mind because there were reports yesterday that both Firmino and Milner will get their contracts extended.  That seems ludicrous.  Hendo has moved into Milner’s elder statesman role now.  Stop spending big wages on players who cannot contribute.

Unfortunately, Klopp is loyal to his favourites and will keep them around past their best by date like he did at Dortmund.

11 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Unfortunately, Klopp is loyal to his favourites and will keep them around past their best by date like he did at Dortmund.

10 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah Henderson easily our worst player for me. Looked much better once Thiago came on

Then it has to be up to the DoF to intervene and veto the contract or reduce the wages for a squad back-up role rather than a first XI.  

Klopp has a valid point that a known quantity player who knows the system well has better odds than a gamble on a new player, even if it’s the latter that gets all the excitement and column inches.  Just look at Gini creating negative value for both Liverpool and PSG with his move.  But Klopp also has a bit of blind spot about loyalty to his favorites, so the club’s governance needs to include checks and balances.

In fairness, he did let Lallana leave; at least a year too late but he did let him go.

20 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk how much the club WC matters, but :commie::commie::commie:!!!!!!

I didn't even know it took place, so I guess that's a pretty good answer to that.

And it's not only because my team wasn't in it this year. The only reason I even knew it took place that season when Liverpool were in it, was because of that whole "Cup game one day and Club World Cup game in Qatar the very next day" mixup.

Archived