The North and Jon

Quoth the raven,

The north is not going to accept Jon even if he came back as he was.  Coming back as a wight will make it worse for Jon.  I suppose some of the wildlings would worship him.  It's the Others and the wights who drove them to seek safety in the south.  Here comes Jon Wight.  Most won't worship an Ice Walker.  Having magic powers is not enough to make people follow but I suppose Jon could use fear and scare them into submission.  He can lead them to attack Ramsay to find his sister.  A lot of blood will be shed.

Jon will come back like Coldhands. Except that he is already on the south side of the wall. He will have his own moment where the wildlings will think him a god. Jon will use that to help him find his sister. But in the end, he may be the lone Wolf at the wall. I can’t imagine the wildlings will survive a battle with the Boltons. Jon won’t find Arya but will see Theon. Theon tells him about Jeyne and Jon will return to the wall. Arya’s spirit will join him in Nym’s form. 

29 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Jon will come back like Coldhands. Except that he is already on the south side of the wall. He will have his own moment where the wildlings will think him a god. Jon will use that to help him find his sister. But in the end, he may be the lone Wolf at the wall. I can’t imagine the wildlings will survive a battle with the Boltons. Jon won’t find Arya but will see Theon. Theon tells him about Jeyne and Jon will return to the wall. Arya’s spirit will join him in Nym’s form. 

Will He be called cold pants?

Jon's return will be similar to Beric's moment.  Many of the Wildlings will react similar to the Dothraki when Daenerys walked out of Drogo's fire.  Those will worship Jon as some sort of Ice god, an Other.  These and the other undead they make along their battle with the Boltons will be the army of ice which Daenerys will melt at the Trident. The other half of the Wildings and the Crows will be traumatized.  Bowen, the Baratheon party, and some of the Wildlings will try to kill Jon again but it will not work.  Jon will murder all of those who stand between him and fake Arya. 

On 2/2/2022 at 2:14 AM, Bowen 747 said:

The Targaryens have been in exile for the better part of 16 years.  The dragons have been gone for more than a century.  The Others are not reacting nor are they defending.

What triggered the return of the Others is a good question.

Bloodraven was watching young Ned and Lyanna, then their children. A wood witch (or a CotF) told Jaehaerys that the Prince that was Promised would come soon. The coming of the PtwP and the Others are related. Possibly BR going to the greenseers is related also. These prophecies (PthW and Azor Ahai) are thousands of years old. I don't think the return of the Others is the direct consequence of recent events.

Ice and Fire are like two armies marching to the battlefield, from a long planed time. Both these magics are mounting their forces in preparation to the battle to come. I believe events like the return of the dragons, BR and Bran powers are telltales of the approching Song of Ice and Fire, not the cause of it.

They do not have the moral upper hand if this is what the conflict is about.

GRRM's world is unrelenting wars and murders. The last 300 years have been the worst, at the whole Westeros scale: Maegor, the Dance, Aerys unchecked craziness... If Aegon's conquest has been no so much bloody, it's no thanks to him, but to the wisdom of his opponents. Peace is ephemeral. Maybe Dany could achieve peace, after much bloodshed, but it would be ephemeral.

Because men are always contending for power. And the end justifies any means, the saying says. I don't see the Others as another force contending for power. Or with more moral ground than any man or woman. I believe they are the servants of the gods who created humankind and the CotF before (like Tolkien's humans and elves). And I think the gods are saying "enough is enough". I don't think the man who wrote Tuf Voyaging, who was a conscience objector, would want to leave a message saying: "war and blood are the normal, expected way of life for men". GRRM amply demonstrates that men cannot limit their ambitions by themselves. So it needs supernatural forces to do That. If Jon and Bran will do the control, they have to be outside the Human Nature and Wanting.

It is known that the Others favored Craster

Craster was despised by all the North. The Others took Craster's sons, but we don't know what for. They didn't help him or protected him. The left him to the justice of men. BTW, as amoral as he was, Craster didn't kill many people by his hunger for power.

Archived