How Will Ned Wield Dawn?

Corvo the Crow

I don't think Ned will wield Dawn now that the 5 year gap has been scrapped. GRRM has since come up with Darkstar, an adult Dayne located not too far from Starfall, and thus seems better positioned to get his hands on Dawn one way or the other (though hopefully he'll serve more narrative purpose than as a mechanism to get the magic sword into the mix).

25 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I don't think Ned will wield Dawn now that the 5 year gap has been scrapped. GRRM has since come up with Darkstar, an adult Dayne located not too far from Starfall, and thus seems better positioned to get his hands on Dawn one way or the other (though hopefully he'll serve more narrative purpose than as a mechanism to get the magic sword into the mix).

He isn't from Starfall and I don't think that someone who attacks young children is legendary enough for Dawn.

37 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

He isn't from Starfall and I don't think that someone who attacks young children is legendary enough for Dawn.

I agree. Note that I said that he was "not too far from Starfall," and also that he was positioned to "get his hands" on Dawn.

I don't think Dawn will be bestowed upon him--I think he's going to steal it, or at least try to, and that effort will be what brings the sword into the mix of the story's other goings on.

1 hour ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I don't think Dawn will be bestowed upon him--I think he's going to steal it, or at least try to, and that effort will be what brings the sword into the mix of the story's other goings on.

I agree with this part. He is going to try and steal her.

41 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

He's in-law with Beric :P

Beric is dead Corvo. Beric is dead.

2 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

Yep. Pretty much my own guess. Darkstar will likely steal Dawn and Ned, Hotah and others will go out trying to recover it. At some point the sword will come to play to fall probably in the hands of Jon.

Dawn is a rather large Chekov's gun in these novels. That is an interesting though that Darkstar is a replacement for Ned after scrapping the five year path. Ned could very well have gone on a questionable path down the BWB rabbit hole and ended up like Darkstar. 

But yeah it almost certainly seems certain to end up in Darkstar's hands. Make your own false dawn comparison here. 

If Dawn ever gets to Ned , there won't be much of a question of HOW he'll wield it. he is 14 by now , the age Robb became king... so , I don't think we should pay attention to the fact that a 14 year old is merely a teenager ! just look at all the things 11 yr old Arya can do! 

However , Darkstar seems to be written for the exact purpose of bringing Dawn to the story. this is pretty much an accepted fact by the fandom. Nonetheless , I don't understand why a man on the run should go steal a famous huge sword on his way! to be fair though, I also don't understand why Darkstar , a guy who was opposed Arianne's plan and told Arys to yield, wanted to kill Myrcella and then run! :dunno:

18 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

But he already has with BWB and perhaps proved himself all over again when he left after Stoneheart's takeover.

Ned quit the BWB? I must have missed that. Where is it mentioned please?

Archived