MLB 2022: No Pitchers Allowed

Myshkin

Don'tcha get a little thrill posting on the 21st page? Be a little bad. Break the rules once and awhile. Eck definitely would. His majestic moss flowing in the wind like the devil may care.

Also, get excited for the universal DH and robot umps. They're happening eventually and you might as well see the upside and get used to it. Otherwise you'll just be pissing, moaning, and looking the fool.

2 minutes ago, Week said:

Don'tcha get a little thrill posting on the 21st page? Be a little bad. Break the rules once and awhile. Eck definitely would. His majestic moss flowing in the wind like the devil may care.

Also, get excited for the universal DH and robot umps. They're happening eventually and you might as well see the upside and get used to it. Otherwise you'll just be pissing, moaning, and looking the fool.

I do get a thrill posting past 400, but then I get scared. I guess I’m just not Eck enough, but I’m working on it!

Also, I’m fully prepared for universal DH as soon as next season, I just don’t like it. It’s not gonna ruin the game for me or anything, I just like the fact that in the NL every player is expected to play both sides of the ball.

5 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I do get a thrill posting past 400, but then I get scared. I guess I’m just not Eck enough, but I’m working on it!

Also, I’m fully prepared for universal DH as soon as next season, I just don’t like it. It’s not gonna ruin the game for me or anything, I just like the fact that in the NL every player is expected to play both sides of the ball.

Is it really playing both sides if 99% of the time they can't do it at a professional level? The NL basically guarantees a team can almost never have a full lineup. 

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is it really playing both sides if 99% of the time they can't do it at a professional level? The NL basically guarantees a team can almost never have a full lineup. 

Is everyone in the starting lineup playing both offense and defense? Then yes, it really is playing both sides, in a very literal sense. For those of us who like the NL rules, it’s not about how well or poorly pitchers do at the plate; it’s about every player having to participate fully in the game. No one gets to sit out the parts they suck at. 

17 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Is everyone in the starting lineup playing both offense and defense? Then yes, it really is playing both sides, in a very literal sense. For those of us who like the NL rules, it’s not about how well or poorly pitchers do at the plate; it’s about every player having to participate fully in the game. No one gets to sit out the parts they suck at. 

NL rules speak to a purer game, but AL rules are all around more entertaining. Given MLB's struggle for attention, going for the the more enjoyable experience is pretty obvious.

Also, end regular season ties after 9 with a HR derby. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Specialization really has taken away some of the pure nature of the game. 

I'm with Gobbo. Universal DH doesn't lessen my joy in baseball, I'm just a little sad it isn't pure any longer.

6 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm with Gobbo. Universal DH doesn't lessen my joy in baseball, I'm just a little sad it isn't pure any longer.

Is it really still "pure" when the average starter lasts only about 5 innings on average and relief pitchers in the NL virtually never bat?

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Is it really still "pure" when the average starter lasts only about 5 innings on average and relief pitchers in the NL virtually never bat?

That's the specialization talking. That's what's taken purity from the game...

2 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That's the specialization talking. That's what's taken purity from the game...

Ok, but what you're calling "purity" is really the game adapting because of teams trying to maximize their ability to win games.  In that respect, you could equally say defensive shifts are taking "purity" from the game.  And no matter how you feel about defensive shifts, I don't think anyone would suggest the rules on it should be different between the AL and the NL.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:02 PM, DMC said:

Not only this, but those of us with a little longer memories cannot help but laugh at the "pure" BS after the circus show of astro turf brought to us for most of the 70's by then mostly NL teams, notably Houston, Pittsburgh, Cinci, etc.

Those "purist" teams ghetto-ized major League ballparks for an era.

But the stadiums were derided as "cookie-cutters" or "concrete ashtrays". Richie Hebner, who played many years for the Pirates and Phillies, was famously quoted:

"I stand at the plate in the Vet and I don't honestly know whether I'm in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, or Philly. They all look alike."

That playing on green concrete they ushered in was far more of a suspension of tradition than the DH has ever been.

I'm surprised the NL  didn't also switch to a red, white, & blue ball during that era.

Some legal news:

The L.A. County District Attorney will not be filing charges against Trevor Bauer. The MLB investigation is still ongoing.

Former Angels employee Eric Kay, who is on trial for supplying Tyler Skaggs the drugs the he OD’d on, will be naming Matt Harvey as someone who also supplied Skaggs with drugs.

6 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Some legal news:

The L.A. County District Attorney will not be filing charges against Trevor Bauer. The MLB investigation is still ongoing.

Former Angels employee Eric Kay, who is on trial for supplying Tyler Skaggs the drugs the he OD’d on, will be naming Matt Harvey as someone who also supplied Skaggs with drugs.

i just do not want bauer back. i never wanted him in the first place. 

7 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

i just do not want bauer back. i never wanted him in the first place. 

Yeah. Here’s hoping MLB slams him with a long suspension and the Dodgers just cut him.

Archived