MLB 2022: No Pitchers Allowed

Myshkin

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

What's the point of 162 games then? Cut that shit in half if nearly half the teams make the playoffs.

I don't think going from 10 teams to 12 teams is that much of a difference.  And particularly if you make the opening round a three game series rather than an elimination game, I don't think that degrades the 162 game season at all.

6 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Newest discussion point is a 14 team post season, because postseason= advertisement money. 

Gross. Gross gross gross. Participation awards for half the league is so damn stupid. Watered down regular season just means even less interest in June through August. Greedy owners. Any of you other older men see that cloud up there blocking my view! Damnit cloud move past! Go on now! Git, cloud, git!

What if, and hear me out... what is all 30 teams make the playoffs? We'll combine March Madness's seeding and bracket with MLB. Best records vs worst records, best-of-seven series so we get as much advertising and drama as possible. Make sure none of the games are played at the same time so that we can maximize ad breaks. Everyone loves a Cinderella story and whatnot, so let's make sure all teams get that chance. And since there are 30 teams, every round the highest-scoring team that lost will get Cinderella'ed into the next round against the NY Yankees, unless they are the Yankees, in which case it will be against the next most marketable team.

My rough calculation is that means... seventeen thousand extra games, which is a lot of ad revenue pouring into the owners' pockets game. Win-win-win.

Sigh. I loved that baseball alone maintained a "you actually have to succeed long-term to move on" approach.

3 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I’m not sure my love for baseball will survive the first sub-.500 WS winner.

Neither the NFL nor the NBA has ever had a sub-.500 winner in their history in spite of having more teams in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Whiskeyjack said:

I can think of a few million reasons why the players wouldn't want that to happen.

Money isn't everything, the long regular season sounds miserable for the players, and my point was from a fan's perspective a shorter season is a lot more enjoyable. 

let's just play two series one home and one away vs every team in your league. a modest 82 games. 

then everyone gets put into a 3 game series bracket national on one side american on the other based on total record then using series wins to establish the bracket. 1 seed gets a first  round bye. 

when down to the league titles it goes to 7 game series. world series is also 7 games. 

if my maths are good (which they likely aren't) a potential 45 games plus a potential 14 for the league title and world series.

manfred, feel free to steal this unbelievable idea that will maximize playoffs and create truly intense drama from opening day. 141 potential games! it will be easier to attract new fans and maximize financial success when the playoffs start in june!

look at me. i saved baseball!

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Neither the NFL nor the NBA has ever had a sub-.500 winner in their history in spite of having more teams in the playoffs.

We all know that the MLB postseason is about getting hot at the right time. The ‘06 Cards won 83 games, and ended the season as champions. If we regularly have losing teams make the playoffs, sooner or later one of them is gonna win it all.

14 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

We all know that the MLB postseason is about getting hot at the right time. The ‘06 Cards won 83 games, and ended the season as champions. If we regularly have losing teams make the playoffs, sooner or later one of them is gonna win it all.

I'm not sure teams getting hot is much more of a factor in baseball than it is in the NFL or even the NBA.  As for sub-500 teams regularly making the playoffs, that is the case in the NBA but it's very rare in the NFL - which I suppose emphasizes why 12 teams is much more preferable to 14.

5 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

look at me. i saved baseball!

You haven't saved/fixed baseball until you've suggested lowering the outfield walls and putting ball pits behind them so players can make amazing diving catches. 

on the table:

robo-umps using technology to call balls and strikes. for me, it is an inevitability. we will all miss yelling 'fuck you! that was/wasn't a ball/strike' at the tv.

larger bases. it will make base stealing easier i would assume. however if you have practiced forever to run to first in one particular way and suddenly your target is larger and closer it may require a learning curve.

banning the shift. i hate that. the shift has always been legal. only pitchers and catchers are bound by rules on where they must be on the field. now we just have analytics to help guide where people can position themselves to get an out. i dunno. what if so many hitters weren't one dimensional? obviously this is to increase offensive potential of the game. 

i understand that baseball is evolving but i am not interested at all in many of the things we have seen and are going to see.

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

You haven't saved/fixed baseball until you've suggested lowering the outfield walls and putting ball pits behind them so players can make amazing diving catches. 

That...actually makes sense...

Banning the shift is dumb...the shift itself is dumb, but banning it is just a terrible idea. Let the players come to terms with hitting to beat it.

I think I hate the concept of Robo Umps more than the DH, and that's saying something...

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I think I hate the concept of Robo Umps more than the DH, and that's saying something...

Depends on the robots they'll use.  If they got Johnny 5 back there punching out guys screaming "strriiiiiiiike thhrrreeeeee!" then I'm all in.

The only thing I hate more than robo umps are bad umps. Seems like some additional training and correcting mistakes mid-game (i.e. an ump consistently missing a backdoor slider or non-sensical calls on the outside corner) rather than going full robot.

Surprised no one's posted this, but baseball is back.  Saw the luxury tax will start at $230 million.  That's a significant increase from the owners' initial $214 million offer.  Hopefully that gives the Yankees less of an excuse not to spend, but probably not.

Also, they're going with 12 teams in the playoffs, not 14.

Welp, we have a new CBA. The salient points:

1) Full 162 game season 

2) DH in NL

3) 12 team postseason 

3) Lux Tax raised to $230mm, and will go up to $244mm over the next 5yrs. There’s also a new tier of penalties for going $60mm over the threshold 

5) $50mm pre-arb bonus pool

6) League minimum has been raised to $700k, and will go up to $780k over next 5 yrs 

7) 6 pick draft lottery to combat tanking

Archived