MLB 2022: No Pitchers Allowed

Myshkin

Fangraphs have been doing positional rankings based on their projections the last week or two.  With the offense it was a nice reminder that despite at how pissed I am at the cheapass Yankees, they're still really good on the corners. It's just weird for them to be this weak up the middle at catcher, short, and center.  

This week they did the pitching staffs, and the Yanks ranked first for both the rotation and bullpen.  The latter makes sense just based off of the Chapman/Green/Loaisiga trio, but really, the starting rotation?  God damn Gerrit Cole goes a long way, at least when it comes to projections.

So I didn't even know until watching the game yesterday that they're allowed to use the PitchCom system now.  The Yanks are using it - at least Cole yesterday and Sevy today - and it definitely speeds up the pace.

I went to the game yesterday and they decided to only have about 15% of the gates open for a Yankees-Sox game on a Saturday. Fucking unreal. It took us almost an hour to get in when it usually takes like 5 minutes. So weird and infuriating. 

Anyways, good win and nice start to the season. #97(Marinaccio)came in after Sev was taken out and me and my dad were trying to figure out who he was. Turns out his parents were sitting right in front of us and it was his MLB debut. His dad was so excited and his mom was crying. It was pretty cool. He walked the first guy but ultimately got out of a little jam. Good shit.

ETA: Also, when Judge was robbed in CF, Donaldson tagged and advanced to 2nd. Apparently the Sox thought he left early and Donaldson was barking hard at their bench telling them to challenge it. Love it. This team needs another Sabathia type guy.

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Anyways, good win and nice start to the season. #97(Marinaccio)came in after Sev was taken out and me and my dad were trying to figure out who he was. Turns out his parents were sitting right in front of us and it was his MLB debut. His dad was so excited and his mom was crying. It was pretty cool.

Ha, that is pretty cool.

Just saw this snippet on Judge's failed contract negotiations:

The Yankees and Judge were not close to reaching an agreement in their negotiations, according to sources; in fact, they weren't really even in the same financial universes. In speaking with reporters Friday, Cashman outlined the Yankees' extension of $213.5 million over seven years, or $30.5 million a year -- and sources said that total package was about 60 to 70% of the range that Judge sought: $36 million annual salary over a contract length of nine or 10 years.

Judge must have some good weed to think he's gonna get that type of deal.  Sucks, guess he'll probably be gone after this season, but definitely doesn't sound like I even want the Yanks to pay him anywhere near what he wants.

33 minutes ago, DMC said:

Just saw this snippet on Judge's failed contract negotiations:

Judge must have some good weed to think he's gonna get that type of deal.  Sucks, guess he'll probably be gone after this season, but definitely doesn't sound like I even want the Yanks to pay him anywhere near what he wants.

He's not worth it. His 2017 season was amazing, but since then he's been hurt a lot and never replicated it. The AAV and length demands are simply way too high. I thought the Yanks offer was fair.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's not worth it. His 2017 season was amazing, but since then he's been hurt a lot and never replicated it. The AAV and length demands are simply way too high. I thought the Yanks offer was fair.

Well he put together a full year last year.  And even though he only played 2/3s of the season in 2018 & 19, he was still worth nearly 6 WAR.  He's a Top 5 or even 3 player - when healthy.  I suppose he's betting on himself putting together another healthy season, but he'll turn 31 in April next year on top of the injury history, and everyone's always been worried about how that body will age.  The Yankees offer was about as high as I'd be willing to go.  Maybe a few more million in AAV.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well he put together a full year last year.  And even though he only played 2/3s of the season in 2018 & 19, he was still worth nearly 6 WAR.  He's a Top 5 or even 3 player - when healthy.  I suppose he's betting on himself putting together another healthy season, but he'll turn 31 in April next year on top of the injury history, and everyone's always been worried about how that body will age.  The Yankees offer was about as high as I'd be willing to go.  Maybe a few more million in AAV.

I'm not denying his talent. He's excellent when healthy. But like you said, given his age and injury history, I wouldn't want to pay him past 36. If you want to raise the AAV, fine, but if that report you linked is accurate methinks nobody is going to offer what he's asking for.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

If you want to raise the AAV, fine, but if that report you linked is accurate methinks nobody is going to offer what he's asking for.

Yeah I definitely don't think he'll get anything near what he wants.  He basically wants what Carlos Correa wanted - and Carlos Correa couldn't even get it.  Still, sucks because sounds like he'll take the best offer, and I'm sure someone will pay him more than the Yanks (or even I) are willing to.

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I definitely don't think he'll get anything near what he wants.  He basically wants what Carlos Correa wanted - and Carlos Correa couldn't even get it.  Still, sucks because sounds like he'll take the best offer, and I'm sure someone will pay him more than the Yanks (or even I) are willing to.

Honestly the Correa deal should be the model going forward. I think both sides won that.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Honestly the Correa deal should be the model going forward. I think both sides won that.

Well, I doubt most players are going to be ok with such a short term deal -- including Correa, which is why barring serious injury he'll opt out and try again next year.  And from Judge's perspective he definitely should cash in now, can't really blame him for that.

What sucks is that if he has another healthy year this year, could totally see some owner splurging on him.  Which means the only real hope of keeping him is to root for him to suck or get injured this year.  Which I obviously don't wanna do.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, I doubt most players are going to be ok with such a short term deal -- including Correa, which is why barring serious injury he'll opt out and try again next year.  And from Judge's perspective he definitely should cash in now, can't really blame him for that.

Idk, it's a short term deal that gives control to the player. That seems to be fair in my book and to everyone's benefit. If I were the Yanks I'd prefer to give Judge something like three years, $35m AAV while allowing either side an out after two seasons. 

What sucks is that if he has another healthy year this year, could totally see some owner splurging on him.  Which means the only real hope of keeping him is to root for him to suck or get injured this year.  Which I obviously don't wanna do.

Not sure I agree. How many teams could offer something comparable to what he wants, especially if he replicates his 2017 form? There's only a few competing options and I'm not sure there's a better option than returning to the Yanks.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, it's a short term deal that gives control to the player. That seems to be fair in my book and to everyone's benefit.

Obviously Correa would have preferred a longterm deal and is banking on the market being better next year (if the Twins don't lock him up beforehand, which I think is possible).  He's not the only one - teams tend to splurge following the signing of new CBAs.  While that didn't really happen due to the rush to get the season started, many expect it to next fall.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not sure I agree. How many teams could offer something comparable to what he wants, especially if he replicates his 2017 form? There's only a few competing options and I'm not sure there's a better option than returning to the Yanks.

I mean, obviously I hope you're right, but see above for why I think he'll get an offer that he shouldn't.  With my luck he'll probably sign with the Sawks (who, btw, have under $100 million committed to next season) or the Mets.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

Obviously Correa would have preferred a longterm deal and is banking on the market being better next year (if the Twins don't lock him up beforehand, which I think is possible).  He's not the only one - teams tend to splurge following the signing of new CBAs.  While that didn't really happen due to the rush to get the season started, many expect it to next fall.

Idk, long term deals provide guarantees, but if you're that good and don't have an injury history, doesn't that kind of deal make sense if you're assuming every 2 or 3 years you can add $5m-$10m to the AAV?

I mean, obviously I hope you're right, but see above for why I think he'll get an offer that he shouldn't.  With my luck he'll probably sign with the Sawks (who, btw, have under $100 million committed to next season) or the Mets.

I doubt he signs with them, but if they overpay to get him, oh well.

This should be your new target:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33712602/japanese-phenom-roki-sasaki-20-throws-19-strikeout-perfect-game-record-setting-performance

Archived