MLB 2022: No Pitchers Allowed

Myshkin

1 minute ago, Week said:

Unfortunately, I don't know how he gets signed. He both deserves way more than he'll be offered and is an enormous injury risk.

Yeah, I dunno, should be an interesting offseason.  Right now I'll just enjoy it.

Yankees expiring contracts is a pretty crazy list.  On the other end of the spectrum is Joey Gallo, who has lost a shitload of money thus far this season (although he homered today!).  Jameson Taillon looks like he's gonna make a lot more money if he keeps this up.  Chapman probably isn't going to be paid as an elite reliever anymore, and poor Chad Green had to get Tommy John right before free agency (plus Zach Britton is still recovering from Tommy John).  Then there's Anthony Rizzo.  Does he opt out of $16 million next year or not?

20 hours ago, Week said:

I think Aaron Judge might be good.

Unfortunately, I don't know how he gets signed. He both deserves way more than he'll be offered and is an enormous injury risk. I mean, so was Tatis and that contract has not started well (though may be fine eventually anyway).

He'll get $350M from the Angels.  I really hope the Yanks re-sign him, but I am not hopeful.

4 hours ago, grozeng said:

He'll get $350M from the Angels.  I really hope the Yanks re-sign him, but I am not hopeful.

I've pretty much resigned myself to this as being a fact, that he will go to a west coast team, until proven otherwise.  I'm not going to get my hopes up that he stays in NY, although I'd really like him to.

27 minutes ago, .H. said:

I've pretty much resigned myself to this as being a fact, that he will go to a west coast team, until proven otherwise.  I'm not going to get my hopes up that he stays in NY, although I'd really like him to.

I don't see the Yankees paying him $350M and I don't see him giving the Yankees a home team discount.  This will be his last contract, so he is going to cash in.

I certainly agree the Yanks aren't giving him $350 million, but I'm still not sure anyone else will offer him that much either.  Looking at the Angels, they already have a ton of money tied up in Trout and Anthony Rendon (yes, they are on the hook to pay Anthony Rendon $38M a year through 2026), and they'll have to re-sign Ohtani next year anyway.  Maybe they'll offer Judge that much, but they'd be very stupid to.  And you'd think after Pujols they'd have learned their lesson.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

I certainly agree the Yanks aren't giving him $350 million, but I'm still not sure anyone else will offer him that much either.

Yeah, I am not at all sure on $350 million, but my thinking would be that if no one makes that sort of insane offer, is he going to take a "low" (not at all low) offer from the Yankees?  My guess is no, absent some wildly massive dollar signs (which, like you say, isn't going to come from the Yankees), money being "equal," he'll sign with a west coast team, is my guess.  Even if the money is just close, I think he'll go to the west coast.  Or, at least, this is the possibility I am preparing myself for.

1 minute ago, .H. said:

My guess is no, absent some wildly massive dollar signs (which, like you say, isn't going to come from the Yankees), money being "equal," he'll sign with a west coast team, is my guess.  Even if the money is just close, I think he'll go to the west coast.  Or, at least, this is the possibility I am preparing myself for.

Oh, I don't know about that.  I think if the Yanks match his best offer he's likely to stay.  I think he genuinely wants to be one of those Yankees, but he's not going to take a pay cut for it.

I do agree it's unlikely the Yanks match his best offer though.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think he genuinely wants to be one of those Yankees, but he's not going to take a pay cut for it.

Maybe, I guess I am just being pessimistic in order to not get my hopes up on what seems to me to have a good chance to end in disappointment.

Just now, .H. said:

Maybe, I guess I am just being pessimistic in order to not get my hopes up on what seems to me to have a good chance to end in disappointment.

Lowered expectations are always a sound strategy for precisely this reason!

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Lowered expectations are always a sound strategy for precisely this reason!

Besides the Yankees, I am a Knicks, Jets and Islander's fan, so, rock bottom expectations are not foreign to me! B)

It's just nice to sometimes like one team that isn't always leaving me bereft of hope.

6 hours ago, .H. said:

Besides the Yankees, I am a Knicks, Jets and Islander's fan, so, rock bottom expectations are not foreign to me! B)

It's just nice to sometimes like one team that isn't always leaving me bereft of hope.

Yankees, Knicks, Jets and Rangers for me (Long Islander, but my best friend was a Rangers fan and I was a Mets Fan growing up during the 80s, but then stopped watching baseball and started again to piss off my College roommate from Boston - so that is where the Yankees came from).

I think someone is going to give Judge the biggest contract out there.  He is such a good face for a team.  And if he keeps up how he is playing, someone is going to overpay.  It's going to be $350M. 

And Trout will sign with the Phillies for a 1 year deal when he is 42 so he can say he played for his hometown team.

Those are my two crazy theories

All-Star voting started this morning.  In appreciation for the Yankees hot start I filled out an all-Yankee ballot and voted 5 times.  They made voting repeatedly really easy but they make you give an email address, which is dumb and I don't recall them doing before.

Anyway, I thought the ballot was kinda interesting for the Yanks.  Luckily, they had Jose Trevino instead of Higgy as their entry at catcher.  Amazingly, Trevino does have a case as he ranks third in (fangraphs) WAR among AL catchers.  Stanton was one of their three outfield entries (along with Judge and Gallo), which was probably smart because of the DH competition.  Still probably won't be voted in, but if he has good month I could see Stanton being a reserve outfielder -- even though yesterday's game was a VERY bad example of him playing the outfield more this year.  Josh Donaldson got the short end of the stick as he's their DH entry - LaMahieu is the 3B and Torres is the 2B.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I honestly think he could still play better today, at his age. than most of the players on Detroit's roster

Eta: Phukit make that better than ALL the players on the roster!

This is Tarik Skubal erasure and I won't stand for it.

6 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

He will flounder for a couple seasons in Motown, till he's traded, and instantly turns into a "prime years" David Price.

It is known!

He's been thriving! He's no Mize or Manning -- that's their future. Sadly. Hoping for big things in MoTown -- Riley Greene, Tork, etc. It could happen!

Archived