MLB 2022: No Pitchers Allowed

Myshkin

Watching the Yanks sweep the Cubs, and seems like Ian Happ is their best player (well, Contreras, but my understanding is he'll be gone by the deadline).  Can't help remind me of the Chapman/Torres trade - I remember initially I hoped for Happ, but that was largely because I didn't think they'd give up Torres.  Just funny cuz now with the Yanks' infield logjam I'm thinking who would say no in a trade?

Their career WAR is pretty comparable - Torres 9.2 to Happ 8.3.  This year's WAR as well is pretty much identical, 1.9 to 1.8.  Torres has two years of team control left after this year, while Happ only has one (and Happ is two years older).  But still, the Yanks could use an outfielder and there's the switch hitting part too.  I'm sure the rebuilding Cubs have no interest in reacquiring Torres, but interesting thought.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Enjoyed the Cubs first baseman throwing 35-50 MPH curveballs in the bottom of the 8th.

Frank the Tank! Another in a long line of Cubs folk heroes who are beloved by fans, but who won't actually be around when the team is good.  

Seems like a great guy, though. 

Cardinals and Pirates played a double header in 110° heat index. Both bullpens (and everyone in the stadium) were spent and we needed Mikolas to go deep into the game. He proceeds to throw a No Hitter through 8. Our 35 year old, analytics first  manager put him back in, t9 the delight of every red-ass baseball fan within 300 miles. He was clearly spent and still gritted through 2 outs and was one pitch away from a No No but some asshole Pirate looped a weak offspeed pitch for a double. 130 pitches. 

In the 70s guys threw 150 pitches, 300 innings in a season, etc etc. Different game I tell ya.

On 6/12/2022 at 5:17 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yeah. No. Torres ship has sailed. 

Nice reverse jinx.  Torres is 3-3 today with a homer and a double.  Since that post he's 8 for 18 with five doubles, a homer, a walk, and a HBP.  His OPS has gone for .793 to .846.  Thanks Jax!

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Nice reverse jinx.  Torres is 3-3 today with a homer and a double.  Since that post he's 8 for 18 with five doubles, a homer, a walk, and a HBP.  His OPS has gone for .793 to .846.  Thanks Jax!

Technically I meant that we Cubs fans were resolved...no need worrying about having Torres back. It won't happen.  So good on ya'll...

Matt Carpenter hit two more home runs today - albeit the second one was against Cleveland's backup infielder.*  He now has 8 home run in 51 plate appearances.  Boone is deploying him as like the super part-time player.  Between him, Holmes, Trevino, and Cortes (although he's came back down to earth in June), it's really too good to be true.

*Turns out that backup infielder is the (much) younger brother of a girl I grew up with, was kinda friends with in high school, and ended up sleeping with in college.  Never even knew she had a brother.

Saw that Pujols and Cabrera will be part of the All-Star game, which is nice, but I'm really not clear how they were selected.  Are these "commissioner's picks" or something?  Are they taking two spots of players that actually deserve it?  Because neither of them do, although good on Miggy for hitting over .300 at 39.

Still can't wrap my head around these stats. Since 1974, when pitching with runners in scoring position no one has given up a lower slugging percentage than Ohtani. Also since 1974, when batting with runners in scoring position, no one has a better slugging percentage than Ohtani.

That's some best ever shit. 

Archived