MLB 2022: No Pitchers Allowed

Myshkin

Possibly anyway! Apparently the Nationals are on Hosmer's list of 10 no-trade franchises and can refuse the trade. I assume Preller won't screw this up and will pivot somehow.

Assuming no more moves, the Cardinals have appeared to pulled their usual and cemented themselves as an 88ish win team that might put up a fight in one or two postseason series. 

1 minute ago, Argonath Diver said:

Possibly anyway! Apparently the Nationals are on Hosmer's list of 10 no-trade franchises and can refuse the trade. I assume Preller won't screw this up and will pivot somehow.. 

Hosmer has indeed vetoed the trade, but apparently that won’t affect the rest of the deal. It’s like the Hosmer part of the deal can be looked at independently of the rest of the deal; Nats get a warm body and Pads get a 40-man spot and cash considerations. Pads will probably try to ship him off elsewhere now, or maybe DFA him if they can’t move him before the deadline.

8 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Assuming no more moves, the Cardinals have appeared to pulled their usual and cemented themselves as an 88ish win team that might put up a fight in one or two postseason series. 

Don’t know where the Cards can even look for help now Soto’s off the board. Everyone else’s fallback plan seems to be the Cubs 

21 hours ago, DMC said:

Yanks got Scott Effross!  Had no idea who he was but looks like a typical Cashman ninja move.  With Benintendi this is already a good deadline while giving up literally nothing I care about.  Now if they can just get a starter...

Yeah, if they get a starter they might just get something out of this $260 million ninja team, my heart goes out to you long suffering Yanks fans in the meanwhile. 

7 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Now looks like Joey Gallo will be heading to the Dodgers. Who needs Soto when you can have a slightly used Gallo instead?

Frustratingly, Gallo was a regular until the All Star break.

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Yeah, if they get a starter they might just get something out of this $200 million ninja team, my heart goes out to you long suffering Yanks fans in the meanwhile. 

* $250 million.  Anyway, the Effross deal has nothing to do with money.  They traded a prospect they drafted and developed for a rookie.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

Frustratingly, Gallo was a regular until the All Star break.

* $250 million.  Anyway, the Effross deal has nothing to do with money.  They traded a prospect they drafted and developed for a rookie.

Sports track has you at 257+.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

I’m just saying not to worry, there aren’t many problems the LA/NY teams can’t buy their way out of, one way or another. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

How are the Padres going to pay three guys and build around them in a year or two assuming they sign Soto? They're not a high revenue team.

Easy, they ain’t gonna sign him

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Now looks like Joey Gallo will be heading to the Dodgers. Who needs Soto when you can have a slightly used Gallo instead?

Gallo is going to return to form outside of New York.  That wasn't a good fit for him.  Of course, the pressures of LA might be the only other town that stifles his ability...let's see what happens.  

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Don’t know where the Cards can even look for help now Soto’s off the board. Everyone else’s fallback plan seems to be the Cubs 

The Ricketts family couldn't have screwed up the Cubs more than they did.  They were that breath of fresh air after the Tribune Co...but to have a Dynasty in their hands and NOT go for it properly...?  So Chicago (see: Halas Hall, 1985)...

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

We'll see if it pays off, but I'm not seeing them overtaking your Doyers over the next few years.

Yeah, I don’t think even they expect to overtake the Dodgers over the next few seasons. I’m betting their philosophy is that Soto pretty much guarantees them a WC spot, then having him for the playoff run significantly increases their shot at winning it all.

8 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Gallo is going to return to form outside of New York.  That wasn't a good fit for him.  Of course, the pressures of LA might be the only other town that stifles his ability...let's see what happens.  

Eh, LA’s not really all that high pressure a market to play in. Not even close to NY or Boston. Plus, unlike when he went to the Yanks, nobody here is expecting anything out of him.

I read that Gallo didn't want to leave his Manhattan apartment until it was time to get to the stadium because he was so ashamed.  Luckily he's going to LA, where they have no shame.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

I read that Gallo didn't want to leave his Manhattan apartment until it was time to get to the stadium because he was so ashamed.  Luckily he's going to LA, where they have no shame.

Now he won’t want to leave his Redondo Beach house until it’s time to get to the stadium because the surf is too tasty

6 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Now he won’t want to leave his Redondo Beach house until it’s time to get to the stadium because the surf is too tasty

That should be fine though.  Most folks don't get to the Stadium until about the bottom of the third in any case...

Archived