MLB 2022: No Pitchers Allowed

Myshkin

14 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That should be fine though.  Most folks don't get to the Stadium until about the bottom of the third in any case...

Which should also help ease the pressure on Gallo

I'm pretty baffled by the Yankees. They must have a lot of faith that Bader's plantar fasciitis will be manageable. He's one of my favorite Cardinals in the past decade with those luscious curls and disarming grin. I mean, his stellar OF range and great clubhouse presence! That said, he literally may never be the same player again, as his entire value derives from his terrific speed and acceleration in the field.

Everyone like Monty. Trading for two steady starters is precisely what I hoped the Cardinals will do, and barring injury they should win the Central - especiall since the Brewers inexplicably got worse this year by trading Hader.

Bring on cool weather baseball already. August sucks.

40 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

So Yankees trade Montgomery for Harrison Bader(who is in a walking boot with planter fasciitis). This one is baffling to me. A lot of crazy speculation on Yankees forums right now, but I don’t get it. @DMC?

I mean, Montgomery has pissed me off the last month or so for sucking so hard, but yeah I'm scratching my head at this one just like everybody else.  My brother just speculated maybe Cashman was all pumped up on coke from his great deadline and was like "ONE MORE!!!"  

I don't have anything better to offer.  I think perhaps they view Clarke Schmidt as a better option at this point - which I'd agree with - but even if, you don't limit your options when you just stabilized your rotation and its depth.  Especially with Sevy out til mid-September...and especially especially not for a great fielding and fast centerfielder.  I don't see how Bader is much better than Tim Locastro.  Maybe Cashman knows Hicks will get injured soon?

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I wondered about that...Were the Blue Jays hoping to flip him for something else and ran out of time?

I think Merrifield said he’d consider getting vaxxed for a playoff contender. Gotta imagine the Jays extracted a promise from him before the trade.

17 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

I think Merrifield said he’d consider getting vaxxed for a playoff contender. Gotta imagine the Jays extracted a promise from him before the trade.

I hate people who use this dumb fucking logic.

On 8/2/2022 at 12:21 PM, Tywin et al. said:

We'll see if it pays off, but I'm not seeing them overtaking your Doyers over the next few years.

The plan is not to pay all three.  But to make an effort at two.  Machado has an opt out after the 2023 season.  If he plays like this year going forward, he'll surely take it, as he's set to make $150M over 5 years for staying.

The Padres definitely believe they can compete with the Dodgers (and anyone else) in 2023.  The only important players not under contract are Mike Clevinger and the three rental players acquired this week (Hader, Bell and Drury).

Two keys for this season are whether Snell and Clevinger can regain the stature that made them trade deadline acquisitions in previous seasons and if Tatis returns with his power intact or as a slap hitter like Acuña has.  Of late, Snell (who historically was more successful in the second half) has looked like someone who once won a Cy Young.

After 2024, things get a lot dicier.  The Nats got some future stars yesterday.

So Ben Clemens at Fangraphs really liked the Monty/Bader deal for the Yanks:

I particularly like the Bader trade as a clever way to leverage that pitching machine. Montgomery was something like the fifth or sixth starter (depending on Luis Severino’s health) for the Yankees this year, which meant his playoff role would be small. Once he’s healthy, Bader shores up a key defensive area, giving the Yankees a maximum-defense configuration they can go to late in games while also being a league average hitter. Montgomery’s departure lets the Yankees move Clarke Schmidt or Deivi García into the rotation next year if they’re so inclined. By starting with an embarrassment of pitching riches and using it wisely, Brian Cashman improved an already-excellent squad without unduly changing the team’s long-term trajectory.

As with every damn sport, the success of the trade depends so much on injury and recovery. If Bader's heel... heals... he will have significant value anchoring that outfield. He was a huge fan favorite in St Louis - my Facebook feed is littered with casual fans furious to lose the dreamiest and flashiest guy on the squad. It would be amazing to see him get a great sliding catch in the Bronx this October. I'm haunted by plantar fasciitis severely altering Pujols' career and more than a little worried Bader's will permanently limit his acceleration and running speed, leaving him with little MLB ability. It's all up to that foot.

Montgomery's arsenal will excel in St Louis where hard hit balls die to Busch's soup-like air and weird air flow. What could be your 5th starter and skipped in the playoffs might be a key cog for the Cardinals - all four of our starters have quite similar xFIP and reliability, and Monty and Quintana are so similar that no one's entirely sure who'll get the mound for Game 3's. (This assumes the Cards actually see a proper playoff series, which is growing in likelihood as the Brewers are completely self destructing this week).

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm haunted by plantar fasciitis severely altering Pujols' career and more than a little worried Bader's will permanently limit his acceleration and running speed, leaving him with little MLB ability. It's all up to that foot.

I've dealt with it myself, as has an old friend.  Its effects vary wildly for each person in my experience.  Entirely possible Bader will be 100% by September, which clearly is what the Yanks are banking on.

1 hour ago, Argonath Diver said:

Montgomery's arsenal will excel in St Louis where hard hit balls die to Busch's soup-like air and weird air flow.

Hopefully, I wish him the best.  He wasn't going to play a major role for the Yanks this year or in the future.  Compounded with his horrid performance lately I understand trading him now.

It's just a great defensive/light hitting centerfielder when you already have Judge, Benintendi, Hicks, hopefully Stanton soon (and not to mention Locastro, Florial, and Wade as depth) seems a silly thing to sacrifice a reliable backend starter the last three years for.

Certainly a head-scratcher. I see some logic to the rumors that the Yankees had a deal with Miami in place for Pablo Lopez that fell through last minute. He's the guy I wanted the Cardinals to pursue, and it would have been a hell of a deadline for you guys if the Yankees got Montas, Lopez and Benitendi (and Bader of course).

Interesting that Montgomery is slated to pitch against the Yankees this weekend. Marmol said "You're here to pitch, now go pitch." With his recent struggles and reputation for wilting under high-pressure games, it might be a tough first game at Busch for him. 

I am going to the Cards/Yankees game on Sunday. Absolutely stoked. A lawyer buddy of mine has a bunch of us in their Suite, which I've never been in despite many, many visits to stadiums. Since Wainwright pitched yesterday, I expect it'll be his turn again in the rotation - making it oddly four times in a row now I've gone with him as the starter. Although historically I've rooted against the franchise on general principle or due to a player or two whom I disliked, this iteration are just a fun team to watch. Sellout crowds at Busch, it should be a playoff atmosphere. Hell yes.

Archived