MLB 2022: No Pitchers Allowed

Myshkin

So I was in the car heading home after the 7th inning of the ongoing Cards/Nats game with the score tied 1-1. I decided to dip into my local to finish it up there instead of moving on home. Well at the stop sign a block away, the Nats hit a 3 run homer.

I figure, ok, I'll just go home and finish it watching from my PC. Cracked a beer, and got to see the first 4-run deficit 9th inning comeback in the MLB this year. Pretty damn awesome.

I mean, it's the Nationals sure, but the Cards other than Montgomery suddenly being an ace were all playing poopy. What a comeback. This continues to be an absolutely unbelievable August and September. 2 months ago I figured this was just a downer year and we'd just be doing the Pujols/Molina ovations and fight for a weak wild card spot.

Baseball is great.

I sincerely hope that Bader's foot troubles dissipate and he becomes a fan favorite in the Bronx like he was here. I knew Monty was the kind of pitcher that excels in Busch's humid, weird-winded homer-killing confines, but no one thought he'd be the best trade deadline acquisition. What can I say, it's been a good six weeks. I enjoy when the team I'm rooting for is the one that superior-on-paper teams don't want to face in October.

In 11 games in September Judge is 19 for 39 with 6 HRs and 10 walks for a 1.606 OPS.  He's at Bonds level right now.  Every time he comes up it's an event..but you also expect a walk.  This was reflected in August - when the Yanks historically sucked - he had 25 walks in 27 games.  Outside of injury, that's the only thing that's going to stop him, it seems - pitching around him.  Luckily Stanton has returned to back him up, but still.  Even without MLB ticket I've watched most of his plate appearances this month, and while everybody stands up, the opposing announcer almost always wonders "why are they pitching to him?"  And it's a very fair question.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Judge blasts a couple more, up to 57 dingers with 20 games to go. This should be a lot of fun!

If he gets to 61 within the next 12 games can he claim to be the real HR king?

AL home run king for sure. Which is all that matters. We all know the NL has been the sissy league with pitchers "batting" for most of it's history. What a joke.

/Cheek

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

"why are they pitching to him?"  And it's a very fair question.

You don't want to face IKF with men on base.

/s

@Ramsay B., wondering you thoughts on something - so it looks like Harrison Bader is finally on the verge of making his Yankee debut, he was 2-4 with a HR tonight at Double A Somerset.  Considering it doesn't look like Benintendi is gonna make it back this year, and assuming Carpenter doesn't have another miracle in him to make it back at his age while Stanton remains ensconced at DH, that means we're looking at an outfield of Judge, Bader, and Oswaldo Cabrera.  

What are your thoughts on the defensive alignment?  The blog I now read (Pinstripe Alley) suggested the other day that it should be Bader in left, Judge in center, and Cabrera in right.  The post pointed out that Cabrera has looked surprisingly good in right considering his lack of outfield experience.  Which is true, but...Center is obviously Bader's natural position as RF is Judge's.  Considering Cabrera is a speedy utilityman, can't we assume he'll do just as well in left as in right, and therefore allow the other two to play where they usually (before this season for Judge) play? 

I know LF is difficult in Yankee Stadium, but maybe at least try it out for the remainder of the regular season?  Not like they have much to play for anyway with them six games back of Houston and six games ahead of Toronto.

I was actually talking about that with a coworker yesterday. Assumed that Bader would go to CF, Judge back to RF.  Judge is great out there but Harrison can cover more ground, and both would be back at their natural positions(which Bader has a gold glove at). I think trying Cabrera out in left when Bader returns for the remainder of the year would make the most sense. Barring a disaster keep it at that.

I also haven’t really seen Oswaldo in RF too much since my Yankees viewing has been sporadic lately, but read he’s been doing just fine. 

Basically as long as Hicks isn’t out there I’m good. 

18 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

but read he’s been doing just fine. 

Indeed he has, according to the defensive metrics at least:

At the start of this week, Cabrera had just 91 innings in right field this season. Despite that, he ranks eighth at the position, with +7 defensive runs saved and 14th with four outfield assists as of Sept. 6.

This accounts for why he has a 0.5 bWAR in 24 games despite a .530 OPS (before tonight).

22 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Basically as long as Hicks isn’t out there I’m good. 

I made sure not to mention him!

I was out and saw that it was 8-4 so I stopped paying attention. Then got some texts from my friends. Fun win! Giancarlo’s blast was an absolute seed.

Also, they had Oswaldo in left, and I saw that he made a nice catch with the bases juiced early on.

ETA: Looked up the lowest average to win a league title and it was Yastrzemski in 1968 with a .301 avg. 

.316 would be tied for the 4th lowest ever to win.

Congrats to Punols on 699 and 700 tonight.

While chatting with friends though, I just found out that post season home runs do not count for career stats.  What the backwards fuck kind of record keeping is that?!!?  Who doesn’t count post season stats? 

So Pujols probably has more career home runs than Bonds at this point.

Im so confused.

That was amazing. I mentioned on a Cards forum that there's nowhere other than Busch I'd rather have Pujols get 700 at. Dodgers faithful embraced him and he absolutely loved his time there - enough that Cards fans were much more jealous of those few months than his unfortunate tenure with the Angels. Dodgers stadium went bonkers. I definitely wept with joy.

Pretty bummed I won't be able to go see him in the final home series this season, but I'm hoping to snag a ticket to at least one playoff game. It's going to be deafening in there (unless we get blown out like last year, oops)

Archived