Will there be any battle in the Vale and Dorne ?

Do you think that there will be war will come to the Vale and to Dorne in the next two books, at least some skirmishes or foreign armies involved ? 

If yes, who do you think will fight who in the two regions ? Which possible invaders could try to conquer these two regions ? 

What could be the damages and casualties to the Vale and Dorne ?

If both "ruling" lord Arryn and Harry the Heir died there would not be any strong candidate for next lord of Vale. So there might be war between supporters of any potential candidates as next ruler of Vale. In fact it is possible that Littlefinger will start that war just to secure his status as strongman of the Vale.

I hope not. with all the expectations in the books surrounding Sweet Robin's death , I think GRRM might pull off the contrary and let him survive the series; leaving the only way for war in Vale through Dany's dragons which I just can't see happening. Dorne ,too ,would only be at war if Dany's stupid enough to try and conquer Dorne. @BlackLightning had a little theory involving Dany being forced to invade Westeros through Dorne which I suppose is possible but considering how long it would take her to finally decide and just pass through Dorne instead of conquering it, I think she might land elsewhere . ( so GRRM can fit the story in 2 books.. you know..)

Has the story of Timmet son of Timmet run its course?  We've been anticipating a mountain clan uprising since Game of Thrones. I expect it will happen at the worst possible time.  Plus the whole 'The Aerie is impregnable" thing sounds like a chip on the shoulder that someone is going to have to take a serious swing at knocking off (and we've seen it done with dragons before so I don't expect they'll feature here). It's also one of the only places where a proper harvest is taking place and so they will have something worth fighting for when the winters come.

Why Dorne though?  I don' think there's much down there worth fighting for.  Aegon's invasion came to the north, it's not really on the route from anywhere to anywhere. It's possible Dany lands there, but unlikely I think without Martel support - why get sucked into a fight for Dorne when you're after the reach and the rock and the riverlands?  Not much of a prize.  

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I hope not. with all the expectations in the books surrounding Sweet Robin's death , I think GRRM might pull off the contrary and let him survive the series; leaving the only way for war in Vale through Dany's dragons which I just can't see happening. Dorne ,too ,would only be at war if Dany's stupid enough to try and conquer Dorne. @BlackLightning had a little theory involving Dany being forced to invade Westeros through Dorne which I suppose is possible but considering how long it would take her to finally decide and just pass through Dorne instead of conquering it, I think she might land elsewhere . ( so GRRM can fit the story in 2 books.. you know..)

No way to find them but a few years ago I had a post or two on why Sweet Robin was going to survive and the clues we were given, paralles etc.

Dany has passed through harsher places than Dorne with thousands of helpless people at her back so it’s a possibility.

If war does come to the Vale (which it probably will) I think the most likely source are the mountain clans. They are hungry and desperate and Winter is pretty much here, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain by attacking the Vale lords at this point. Gunther son of Gurn probably thought as much when  he accepted Tyrion's offer of steel in exchange for safe passage. I gotta admit I thought it was rather odd that they keep stealing women as this amounts to more mouths to feed at a time when food is so scarce.

Honestly the amount of people who think Sweetrobin is going to kick the bucket any day now makes me think he's practically bulletproof and will live to be 100 just to spite his haters. :D

Dorne is likely to ally with fAegon and be drawn into a war with Dany or Cersei before her. Maybe Euron also.

I don't think Dany will have time to conquer the Vale. But the Vale may have trouble with the Others. The mountain clans must also have some role to play. Maybe take over the Andals. Or fight with them for their lives and get their lands back. Maybe they will be for Sansa what the Free Folks are for Jon.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:01 AM, EggBlue said:

This is true.

Just to clarify it for the people who haven't read my theory...

...I think Dany will be forced to invade Westeros through Dorne (or rather, be forced to land her armies in Dorne) because I am almost certain that there will be a massive naval battle in the Narrow Sea between Team Dany/Vic and Team Euron at the beginning of A Dream of Spring.

(if there is at all a time when Victarion and/or one of Dany's dragons die or get stolen, it'll be then)

But even with Victarion and the Iron Fleet, her forces will be at its most vulnerable at sea, particularly transiting through the Stepstones. It's going to be a massive loss of life and property and she might be forced to command that they establish an emergency beachfront in Dorne.

Dany may send her court, retainers and hostages to Dragonstone at some point. I even believe she'll spend quite a bit of time at Dragonstone. But for a while, she'll be in Dorne with her armies and they'll have to march north...or make/steal some more ships to sail across the Sea of Dorne. Which will both work in her favor...

• I believe Dorne will be the only place in Westeros where you'll be able to grow food during winter, lots of food-stores will be there
  • she can get her hands on a bunch of hostages
  • she gets to cut fAegon off at the knees because Dorne is the foundation of his power base

...and it will work against her. The Dornish are ferocious and the terrain is difficult. It'll be easy for the war between fAegon's Dornish allies and Dany to go from being a organized, political conflict to an free-for-all war for food and water. Water may still be very hard to come by.

But yeah: there's no way Dany is going to be able to just pass through Dorne with well over 40,000 men and horse. No way on Earth. It didn't even happen on the road from Yunkai to Meereen and that is going to be child's play compared with marching past all those towns and holdfasts.

Even beyond the actual plot and character arcs, it also makes narrative sense for Dany to begin her conquest with Dorne. It was the last kingdom that Aegon the Conqueror went after and Dany seems to be an inverse of Aegon in every single way...so it fits for Dorne to be the first kingdom Dany is going after. The second Princess Daenerys we know about was the Princess Consort of Dorne: she spent a lot of time there and basically became Dornish herself.

Also, the Others will be coming south from beyond the Wall (which is an icy blue). The series is, after all, called A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. It fits for Daenerys Targaryen to be coming north from beyond the Red Mountains and for both forces to meet in the middle of the country (aka the Trident)

On 2/4/2022 at 10:48 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Dany has passed through harsher places than Dorne with thousands of helpless people at her back so it’s a possibility.

That's a very important detail.

The people who will be following Dany this time around will not be helpless nor will they be without supplies.

22 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I don't think Dany will have time to conquer the Vale. But the Vale may have trouble with the Others. The mountain clans must also have some role to play. Maybe take over the Andals. Or fight with them for their lives and get their lands back. Maybe they will be for Sansa what the Free Folks are for Jon.

I agree.

The Vale and the Riverlands seems to be becoming more and more intertwined with the North. Meaning the Vale and the (northern) Riverlands will have to deal with both the Others and the undead before anyone else south of the Neck.

And yes: the issue with the mountain clans has been building and building since A Game of Thrones. Either it's going to blow up in The Winds of Winter (I'm not sure where GRRM is going to find the time for all of that in the Sansa POV but he's going to have to make it work) or in A Dream of Spring. Or there will be full-scale war between the mountain clans and the Andal Valemen in Winds and then the mountain clans pitch in to help the rest of Westeros against the Others in Dream

If the clans do end up following Sansa, she's either going to lose all of their support once Tyrion shows up or there will be war between the clans. But that's for Dream of Spring.

Just now, BlackLightning said:

If the clans do end up following Sansa, she's either going to lose all of their support once Tyrion shows up or there will be war between the clans.

Because Tyrion would have them fight for Dany against Sansa? Not sure who Tyrion will support by then. Or if the clans would bend the knee to Dany. Or if there could be other concerns that the Others by this time.

Archived