Gomorrah Season 5

WarGalley

I still haven't seen Season 4 but am starting this thread so ya'll can post here instead of in the Watch, Watching, Watched thread. It will be easier to find the commentary later when I catch up instead of trying to comb that thread and I do want to read people's reactions to all of the episodes.

I don't intend to return to this thread until after I finish Season 5. However since Season 5 is still kind of new and people may still be working through it, can we spoiler tag by Episode # or just state "All S5" for spoilers referencing the series finale?  

I was slightly disappointed with the ending, and the final season in general. Still an all time great show though. 

One of my main gripes is that 

Spoiler

Enzo’s death felt pretty pointless if Genny and Ciro were just going to reconcile in the end anyway. Both the writers and Genny did him dirty. 

Overall I’d probably rank it like this: 

S1 & S2 = absolute masterpieces

S3 = Fantastic, but not quite on par with the first couple seasons. Which is understandable without Don Pietro 

S4 & S5 (+ The Immortal) still extremely entertaining, but a fairly significant drop off in quality from the earlier seasons

In the end I’m still pretty on the fence as to whether or not it was the right decision to 

Spoiler

Bring back Ciro. On one hand I can’t really blame them for wanting Marco D’Amore back. But it also led to kind of a sloppy final season. 

And Genny totally ruined the feels from the final scene of The Immortal :P

Ok, I'll bite real quick before this thread blows up. Is there any specific point where you should watch The Immortal? I vaguely recall asking this question before but don't remember if it was before S4, inbetween S4 and S5 or if it doesn't really matter..

3 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Ok, I'll bite real quick before this thread blows up. Is there any specific point where you should watch The Immortal? I vaguely recall asking this question before but don't remember if it was before S4, inbetween S4 and S5 or if it doesn't really matter..

Watch it between seasons four and five.

The end of The Immortal basically takes place around the start of episode two of the fifth season.

Finally finished watching Season 5.  For now all I'll say is this is the best opera production I've attended in a very long time, with the separate aria duets, right down to the grand love-in-death finale.

Not sure which episode this spoils in particular, so general season five spoilers:

Spoiler

Did anyone find it weird that, when Ciro comes back and reveals himself to Enzo, Enzo completely forgets about the fact that Ciro supposedly killed his sister?  I kept waiting for it to be brought up and it just never was.  You'd think there'd at least be a moment where Ciro reveals it wasn't him and was actually Genny.

34 minutes ago, briantw said:

Not sure which episode this spoils in particular, so general season five spoilers:

Hide contents

Did anyone find it weird that, when Ciro comes back and reveals himself to Enzo, Enzo completely forgets about the fact that Ciro supposedly killed his sister?  I kept waiting for it to be brought up and it just never was.  You'd think there'd at least be a moment where Ciro reveals it wasn't him and was actually Genny.

Yeah, I didn’t really get that either. 

Season spoilers

Spoiler

Yeah, I really don’t understand Enzo’s loyalty to Ciro as a whole, and I even forgot about his sister being killed(I should’ve really watched a s3-4 recap). The more I think about the last season, the more questions come up.

Ha! I -- and my best buddy -- saw a very different season 5 than you all did.  We had different questions too.  However, we agreed with each other about half way through, and thus agree with you, that at some point the writers fell in love with Ciro, and turned him from a fascinating flawed tragic figure, into a superhero comic figure.  I think I mentioned that way up above in the comments here.  :cheers: 

Spoiler

Thank goodness they at least kept their senses and had him die anyway, along with Genny, as has to be the finale of any tragic, grand opera. Just as the Judas at the Last Supper bloodbath survived, yet died another day. This is such a Roman Catholic series!

• 2 weeks later...

I watched up to episode 8 and then a did multiple week pause before the final 2 shows because I just wasnt ready for my Gomorrah journey to be over.

It's been 5 entertaining seasons, plus the Immortal movie between 4 and 5, what a ride.

I've heard it described as the Ducati of gangster shows, sounds perfect to me.

Archived