High Septon names

Falcon2909

As you may know, a new High Septon extends the practice of septons giving up their family names by renouncing any kind of individual name. This is due to the belief that the individual becoming High Septon is no longer a man but an avatar of the Gods. 

Just what names do they take then? The smallfolk call them 'fat one' etc cus they can't remember. Are their new names in Andalosese?

The point is that they have no name. They are just addressed by their title, and from a religious perspective there's no need to differentiate between them because each new one is considered the continuation of the previous one.

I assume it's similar to how all the prophetesses from Delphi were called Sibyl, or how all the Tibetan leaders are called Dalai Lama.

On 2/8/2022 at 1:37 AM, The hairy bear said:

The point is that they have no name. They are just addressed by their title, and from a religious perspective there's no need to differentiate between them because each new one is considered the continuation of the previous one.

I assume it's similar to how all the prophetesses from Delphi were called Sibyl, or how all the Tibetan leaders are called Dalai Lama.

Woah ! All this time I thought they had taken a new name. Didn't know they abandoned their names and became nameless . Nice nice

Archived