Who'd make a good master of coin ?

Among the various lords or other nobles, common people, maesters or people from Essos who do you think would make at least a good master of coin ? 

Who would have the accounting and financial skills to manage and heal the finances of the Seven Kingdoms, and to clean up the gigantic mess that Littlefinger left behind him during his long tenure as master of coin with him having embezzled a great portion of the royal finances, worsened the crown's debts, falsified the accounts and left many of his men in charge to keep the treasury in disaray after his departure ?

8 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Among the various lords or other nobles, common people, maesters or people from Essos who do you think would make at least a good master of coin ? 

Who would have the accounting and financial skills to manage and heal the finances of the Seven Kingdoms, and to clean up the gigantic mess that Littlefinger left behind him during his long tenure as master of coin with him having embezzled a great portion of the royal finances, worsened the crown's debts, falsified the accounts and left many of his men in charge to keep the treasury in disaray after his departure ?

Magister Illyrio knows how to manage money.  He would be my choice to serve Daenerys as her Master of Coin. 

Well the person with the best accounting and finance skills to fix Littlefinger's mess is... Littlefinger.

He's clearly a financial wizard, at least by the standards of the fairly primitive Westeros economy, and the carnage he left behind him appears to have been largely deliberate.

But assuming he isn't willing (or trustworthy enough) to do it, I guess you're looking for someone intelligent who isn't worried about sullying their hands with unbecoming work like managing money. Tyrion seemed reasonably well suited to the job, and there might be a Manderly who could do it. Sam certainly has the intelligence but I doubt he is sufficiently ruthless to make the necessary decisions.

But someone from the Free Cities with a trading background might be a better bet: Illyrio isn't a bad shout - but would he want to abandon his cosy life in Essos for a thankless job in the Seven Kingdoms' court?

23 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

Tycho Nestoris

Gulltown Arryns.

21 hours ago, Adelstein said:

Well the person with the best accounting and finance skills to fix Littlefinger's mess is... Littlefinger.

He's clearly a financial wizard, at least by the standards of the fairly primitive Westeros economy, and the carnage he left behind him appears to have been largely deliberate.

But assuming he isn't willing (or trustworthy enough) to do it, I guess you're looking for someone intelligent who isn't worried about sullying their hands with unbecoming work like managing money. Tyrion seemed reasonably well suited to the job, and there might be a Manderly who could do it. Sam certainly has the intelligence but I doubt he is sufficiently ruthless to make the necessary decisions.

But someone from the Free Cities with a trading background might be a better bet: Illyrio isn't a bad shout - but would he want to abandon his cosy life in Essos for a thankless job in the Seven Kingdoms' court?

Illyrio claims he wants a lordship.

6 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Except he’d never give up his current position at the Iron Bank. And frankly, who would?

I agree, he probably wouldn't want to work in Westeros. But he would be a good, qualified candidate (as opposed to who the show selected)

On 2/9/2022 at 2:47 AM, Ser Salvo Summerhall said:

Tycho Nestoris

Dunno, doubling down and backing Stannis is going to end badly. Seems like a grievous error in judgement to me. Without knowing about Daenerys I think the most prudent action would have been better to just try and slowly squeeze the crown, hope Cersei gets removed, and play the long game.

It may not have been a purely financial decision however. There is a reputation to consider and they may be willing to keep throwing money at various warlords to get their due.

On 2/8/2022 at 8:31 PM, Apoplexy said:

He's a banker, he is definitely qualified. I dont remember him being described as corrupt, so he could be a good choice.

That was my general thought as well, solid background with the Iron Bank.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:05 AM, Canon Claude said:

Except he’d never give up his current position at the Iron Bank. And frankly, who would?

I was also thinking it would be interesting to have a Master of Coin with inner working knowledge of the Iron Bank. That knowledge is profitable and has to make getting a loan easier or settling debts.

On 2/9/2022 at 3:09 PM, Makk said:

Dunno, doubling down and backing Stannis is going to end badly. Seems like a grievous error in judgement to me. Without knowing about Daenerys I think the most prudent action would have been better to just try and slowly squeeze the crown, hope Cersei gets removed, and play the long game.

It may not have been a purely financial decision however. There is a reputation to consider and they may be willing to keep throwing money at various warlords to get their due.

That's what ya gotta love about the Iron Bank they're willing to gamble and they got the money to do it. Until eventually they will hit a winner and recoup their loses one way or another. I like the idea of someone from Essos holding the position, as many have said Illyrio is a great choice; I imagine he would be a combination of Rego Draz and Littlefinger as Master of Coin.

On 2/7/2022 at 5:38 PM, Bowen 747 said:

Magister Illyrio knows how to manage money.  He would be my choice to serve Daenerys as her Master of Coin. 

The Magister would be a solid choice for Daenerys after she puts Westeos back together and rules.  Littlefinger has the skills but he cannot be trusted.

Archived