Canadian Politics: more than a truck load of covidiots, eh?

A Horse Named Stranger

49 minutes ago, DMC said:

Was reading this vox piece - "The Canadian trucker convoy is an unpopular uprising" - a good read btw, and it included this poll that elucidated just how unpopular is it.  Some highlights:

• 62% oppose the convoy's message, with nearly have the country (47%) strongly opposing
  • 65% think the convoy represents a small minority of selfish Canadians
  • 57% think the convoy is not about mandates or restrictions, but rather an opportunity for right-wing supremacist groups

Moreover, the poll shows little movement in party support/voting intentions since right before the convoy started (January 24th).  Liberals have gone from 34% to 33%, conservatives 31% to 29%.  Meanwhile the leftist New Democratic Party's support has gone up 18% to 21% while the far-right People's Party has gone down from 6% to 4%.

But hey, at least they got a shitload of money from the American fascists!

Is the problem apathy in opposing these assholes?

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

Was reading this vox piece - "The Canadian trucker convoy is an unpopular uprising" - a good read btw, and it included this poll that elucidated just how unpopular is it.  Some highlights:

• 62% oppose the convoy's message, with nearly have the country (47%) strongly opposing
  • 65% think the convoy represents a small minority of selfish Canadians
  • 57% think the convoy is not about mandates or restrictions, but rather an opportunity for right-wing supremacist groups

Moreover, the poll shows little movement in party support/voting intentions since right before the convoy started (January 24th).  Liberals have gone from 34% to 33%, conservatives 31% to 29%.  Meanwhile the leftist New Democratic Party's support has gone up 18% to 21% while the far-right People's Party has gone down from 6% to 4%.

But hey, at least they got a shitload of money from the American fascists!

67 % of Canadians voted for left leaning parties in the last few elections.  No surprise that the support is low.

37 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is the problem apathy in opposing these assholes?

So you support the corona measures like social distancing by participating in an anti-Covid counter protest?

The problem is really the sheer stupidity of people taking the stage on open mic night. It's a bit like buying a movie ticket to express your dissatisfaction over a new Adam Sandler movie. You know it's wrong, and you know a majority of people agress, that Adam Sandler is not funny. But as long as people give him money and support him, he will continue to make movies. No matter how awful they are.

There’s been little enough protests in NL, though apparently one happened today at the Marine Atlantic terminal in North Sydney. I don’t know why these asshats are targeting borders let alone interprovincial ferry terminals, but if they want to see their meagre popular support erode even further, by all means continue harming the livelihoods of Ontario autoworkers and pretty much everyone in central Ottawa. 

I’m very tired of this. This is a bunch of malcontented conspiracy nuts, separatists, and racists and they must be removed, prosecuted, jailed. And while we’re at it, perhaps we could ban Facebook algorithms. 

It seems like things are just continuing, and escalating.

We have multiple major border crossings closed across the country.

Our whole country paralyzed by maybe 2,000 people. I hope FN land defenders are taking copious notes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/protesters-ambassador-bridge-windsor-covid-deadline-1.6349424

A crowd of defiant anti-mandate demonstrators remained on the street near the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor, Ont., on Saturday night, hours after police had moved in to break up the days-long protest and clear some of the blockade.

By evening, protesters had gathered just behind the concrete barricades police stretched along Huron Church Road, which leads to the international border crossing, connecting Windsor with Detroit.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/operations-at-coutts-alta-crossing-disrupted-until-further-notice-1.5779196

Officials with the Canada Border Services Agency say it is temporarily unable to provide services at the Coutts, Alta., crossing due to the ongoing protest taking place nearby.

The agency made the statement on Saturday afternoon, referring commercial traffic to a number of other crossings for the time being.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/convoy-protesters-break-through-surrey-rcmp-barricade-with-military-vehicle-as-others-march-to-u-s-border-on-foot-1.5779120

SURREY, B.C. - 

Several commercial trucks and a military-style vehicle broke through an RCMP barricade on the Pacific Highway as they followed protesters marching to the border crossing at approximately 2 p.m. Saturday afternoon.

Several officers are now cut off from their colleagues by what Mounties describe as a hostile mob. Hundreds are now on foot and celebrating near the border crossing with traffic at a standstill through a massive area of south Surrey.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/protest-canada-us-border-blockade-manitoba-1.6349659

Protesters in about 50 semi-trailer trucks, farm equipment and other vehicles are blocking all highway lanes at Manitoba's main Canada-U.S. border crossing on Saturday.

A number of Mounties from the Emerson and Morris, Man., detachments are on the scene and are advising people in the area to expect "substantial delays" because Highway 75 at PR 200 is blocked, RCMP said in a news release on Saturday.

Emergency vehicles, including police, as well as some agriculture transports have been getting through the blockade, but otherwise there is no traffic flow in the area.

4 hours ago, Lord of Oop North said:

It seems like things are just continuing, and escalating.

We have multiple major border crossings closed across the country.

Our whole country paralyzed by maybe 2,000 people. I hope FN land defenders are taking copious notes.

Why? We already knew that white people can get away with shit we could never dream of. Doesn't matter how many notes are taken what needs to happen is the rest of Canada needs to wake up to just how dangerous a group given legal use of force ignoring civil power is.

A couple thousand dipshits is way less important both immediately and long term than what the police have been doing.

Oh and remember what I said about the police moving against counter protesters but not the assholes? It continues.

8 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Why? We already knew that white people can get away with shit we could never dream of. Doesn't matter how many notes are taken what needs to happen is the rest of Canada needs to wake up to just how dangerous a group given legal use of force ignoring civil power is.

Sorry, not trying to say that you did not know white people could get away with more. That is obvious.

Was trying to say that I believe the next time there is a FN protest, then take a lesson from this and aim bigger. Blocking a railway is a huge thing, but ultimately has a less immediate effect on Canadians.

And yes, I agree that ignoring these blockades will be very dangerous in the long term. Ultimately what none of these people understand is that our charter rights in Canada end when they infringe on the rights and freedom of others.

12 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

A couple thousand dipshits is way less important both immediately and long term than what the police have been doing.

Oh and remember what I said about the police moving against counter protesters but not the assholes? It continues.

Only truly oblivious people don't know that police orgs as a whole are far right organizations in most democracies.

Looks like Ambassador Bridge finally being cleared.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/windsor-ambassador-bridge-police-protest-1.6350120

Officers from multiple police forces advanced on Sunday morning to clear out the remaining protesters and break up a days-long occupation near the Ambassador Bridge border crossing in Windsor, Ont.

Fewer than 30 protesters were there Sunday morning. Police far outnumbered the remaining protesters and most cleared the area after being warned of arrests.

However some arrests were made, including drivers of a few pickup trucks that had remained parked up the street.

"It is what it is," one man told reporters as he was arrested. "We're here for our freedom, and this is what we get."

The man put up no resistance as he was led out of his truck and put in restraints.

"Trust me, I'm not going to fight you," he told police.

12 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Only truly oblivious people don't know that police orgs as a whole are far right organizations in most democracies.

Unfortunately the reality is a lot of people are oblivious. Harder to be so now though.

In other news the fed government may be preparing to invoke the emergency act. https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds-prepared-to-use-emergency-powers-to-end-blockades-but-police-must-do-their-job-blair-1.5779589

I do wonder what caused this shift? Did it just take them a while to analyze the possible fallout? Was Ontario declaring a state of emergency the proof needed that this isn't something the provinces can handle? Or is the last couple of days of police moving against counter protesters the straw the broke the camels back? (I doubt that last one, but it would be nice)

11 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Unfortunately the reality is a lot of people are oblivious. Harder to be so now though.

In other news the fed government may be preparing to invoke the emergency act. https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/feds-prepared-to-use-emergency-powers-to-end-blockades-but-police-must-do-their-job-blair-1.5779589

I do wonder what caused this shift? Did it just take them a while to analyze the possible fallout? Was Ontario declaring a state of emergency the proof needed that this isn't something the provinces can handle? Or is the last couple of days of police moving against counter protesters the straw the broke the camels back? (I doubt that last one, but it would be nice)

Or wanting to see how the polling about the strength of support for those muppets first.

If by some miracle support for those morons was higher than expected, that might have made it a more difficult call. If a big majority of Canadians want those clowns gone, it's far easier to have them removed by force.

16 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Honestly this is quite ridiculous.

The only reason the Act should be invoked is if the Province's resources to break the blockades has been exhausted.

What has been exhausted? The Police have not even tried to clear anyone in Ottawa at all.

20 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Probably because the belong to a group that benefits. Most guys I know don't realtize how shit police tends to be to many women in my experience for example. 

1 minute ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Honestly this is quite ridiculous.

The only reason the Act should be invoked is if the Province's resources to break the blockades has been exhausted.

What has been exhausted? The Police have not even tried to clear anyone in Ottawa at all.

Do you think that they will try? Your police force might be different but here they are clear allies of the anti-measure crowd and do the absolute minimum they can get away with.

Archived