Canadian Politics: more than a truck load of covidiots, eh?

A Horse Named Stranger

Yep.

Break system. Blame system for breaking itself. Privatize to cannibalize.

Old plays still somehow managing to stump the defense.  

The death toll from the violent thunderstorm that swept across Ontario Saturday afternoon has now reached nine: seven people were killed by falling trees, an eighth on Sunday when a large branch broke off a tree weakened by the storm, and the ninth died when the boat they were in was overturned by the incredible wind. The victims of the storm were out hiking, playing golf and doing other normal things you do on a holiday weekend.

I was walking around the little park just a block from my house, playing Pokémon Go (it was Community Day), when the weather warning came up. I was 1/4 of the way around and the sky looked clear enough for me to think I could circle the block back to my house without trouble, but halfway around it started to get darker, so I picked up my pace. By the time I walked the 3rd side of the park back to my street, maybe 500 steps from my house, the wind suddenly picked up and the few of us still on the street started to run. The trees lining the park were shaking so I ran down the middle of the road, death by flying branch or falling tree leaping to mind. Halfway back the wind was so violent and swept up so much dust I was choking and had to stop running. There’s a giant tree near the corner of my street and a cross street that I had to pass and I was seriously worried about getting past it. My house is 10th from that corner. I made it to my covered porch and seconds later the scattered raindrops turned into a violent downpour, but it only lasted a minute. The wind died down and it was over. Fifteen minutes or less.

Then I noticed I was covered in dirt and went in to wash off my arms and legs and face. I went back out to check on my friends’ house, five houses up from the park, to make sure they hadn’t suffered damage, as they’re up at their place in the country. A walk around the park showed all the fallen branches. One of the trees I was worried about when I was running had lost a huge, 30 foot long branch. A guy was already there, scavenging wood for his carving hobby. The sun was shining and you’d never know there’d been bad weather half an hour ago.

At least we were lucky enough not to lose our power in the neighbourhood.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

?!

That feels confusing.

Voting Intentions. Liberal + ONDP = 52% = 46 seats

Conservative (Doug Ford?) = 35-36% = 72 seats

That's the reality of a FPTP system with multiple parties. Could be worse, if each riding held that exact breakdown of voting intentions that Conservatives could win all the seats.

The only potential positive tonight is that now Ford and the PC's crash in another few years will be that much more devastating. 

Plus I'm pretty sure Ford will return to his appropriate level of unpopularity and scandal before long. Doesn't look like monkeypox will provide him the cover of another pandemic. And the NDP will doubtlessly get a new, hopefully more effective leader and narrative. (Not sure where this leaves the Liberals though...)

8 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

The only potential positive tonight is that now Ford and the PC's crash in another few years will be that much more devastating. 

Plus I'm pretty sure Ford will return to his appropriate level of unpopularity and scandal before long. Doesn't look like monkeypox will provide him the cover of another pandemic. And the NDP will doubtlessly get a new, hopefully more effective leader and narrative. (Not sure where this leaves the Liberals though...)

Del Duca ran for the Liberal leadership and was just about the only serious contender. I think the rest sat out waiting for a better time to run as the feelings against the Libs was still pretty strong. 

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

Del Duca ran for the Liberal leadership and was just about the only serious contender. I think the rest sat out waiting for a better time to run as the feelings against the Libs was still pretty strong. 

Unfortunately, while this was a bad result for the NDP, they retained official opposition status. For the Liberals, this is a catastrophe and I’m not quite sure where they go from here. 

Very depressing.

Even more depressing is that fact that over 50% of Ontario didn't care enough to vote. Turnout was apparently around 43-44%

Sadly I think this government will stay in power until the Federal Liberals are ousted.

Both Del Duca and Horwath resigned as Liberal and NDP leaders. Good decisions. Both were not electable, and a huge part of the apathy this election.

System working well as intended

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ont-electoral-reform-1.6480756

In the June 2 election, 40 per cent voted for the Progressive Conservatives, handing the party 83 seats. Close to 53 per cent in total voted for the NDP, Liberals and Greens, but those parties will have a combined 40 seats. The Liberals won nearly a quarter of the popular vote but will hold just eight of the 124 available seats. Turnout was a record-low 43 per cent.

Have you seen the stories about Justin Bieber? He’s developed facial paralysis from the same virus that causes chicken pox and shingles, a condition called Ramsay Hunt Syndrome. It usually affects older people and folks with compromised immune systems. Apparently Olivia Chow developed it in 2013 and was left with permanent damage. The syndrome occurs in about 3.2 to 4.2 Canadians per thousand, so that means .32% to .42% annually.

I used to ignore his singing, largely, I think, because of the way Americans attacked him. They lumped Bieber in with Celine Dion and Nickelback, and made jokes about having him banned from the UD, but I’ve been listening to Amazon music for months now and I’ve really grown to love his singing. I really love the song he does with Shawn Mendes, Monster, about fame coming at an early age. And I’ve loved some of the interviews I’ve seen with him talking about the way he loves his wife.

I draw the line at Bieber Timbits, though. All that sugar! I meant to post a comment about that promotion a few months ago, sales increased at Tim Hortons locations by about 15% when it was on, but this time around I will try the iced coffee.

Bieber should fully recover, but holy crap, imagine if he has permanent paralysis and his voice is affected. He’s only 28. According to the news stories the success rate is highest if treatment starts within 3 days of the symptoms starting. 

Another fantastic reason to get the shingles vaccination.

I know that Bieber shows were previously cancelled because crew got Covid, I wonder if he did too and that compromised his immune system.

Eta: yes, he tested positive in February

Some interesting yet understated moves happening in Northern spaces.

Mrs Pootato might not have to remind Poots to pack his angry eyes.

Archived