Canadian Politics: more than a truck load of covidiots, eh?

A Horse Named Stranger

48 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

In tangentially related news there's been a couple of lawsuits filed against the use of the Emergency Act.

I could see them losing a lawsuit. They have done a very poor job so far in Parliament of defending their position and explaining the need for invoking the Act.

Looks like NDP will support the bill. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the NDP turn against this in a few weeks, if it is still in place.

It seems like Ottawa might be cleared by the time they vote on this on Monday.

The stakes are super high for the Liberals.

I was happy to see the Ottawa police doing things yesterday that they should have done two weeks ago. A large area of downtown Ottawa has been fenced in, about 3 acres I heard, and no one can enter the area unless they can prove they live there. No more food and fuel being delivered to the protesters, and a storm that is going to dump 40 to 60 cm of snow on the city is moving in.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

a storm that is going to dump 40 to 60 cm of snow on the city is moving in.

Woo.  Not good for the kids and animals the jerkwaddies have dragged in with their idiot selves.

The NYTimes this AM had an extensive report from interviewing a lot of these clowns, and lordessa, are they ever the same ilks that were the cannon fodder for the 01/06/21 Capitol insurgence -- along with the same military veterans -- who did seem to be led, at least, if not entirely consisting of US military veterans, who promised they "had plans" and "arsenals".  They also said that such convoy blockading was being planned for the USA next month.  Someone mentioned they assumed that one would be very terrible, as unlike the Ottawa occupation, the USA one would be "heavily armed."

Right now at this very moment hundreds of police officers, wearing protective equipment, some carrying heavy arms like machine guns, others carrying tear gas canisters, backed up by tactical vehicles, are arresting the Ottawa protestors. Tow trucks are following them to move out vehicles. One man who refused to leave his vehicle had three windows of the vehicle smashed so he could be pulled out. Four officers at a time are arresting each protestor.

One protestor threw himself in front of the police line, hoping, I guess, for his Tiananmen Square moment. Screaming, is this a free country?

And they showed up at the two headquarters in the suburbs and arrested everyone there, just liked I said they should the other day.

Tow trucks are following them to move out vehicles. One man who refused to leave his vehicle had three windows of the vehicle smashed so he could be pulled out. Four officers at a time are arresting each protestor.

Just read about the threat of violence to the tow truck drivers. Just incredibly pathetic, even by this rabble's low standards. 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Right now at this very moment hundreds of police officers, wearing protective equipment, some carrying heavy arms like machine guns, others carrying tear gas canisters, backed up by tactical vehicles, are arresting the Ottawa protestors. Tow trucks are following them to move out vehicles. One man who refused to leave his vehicle had three windows of the vehicle smashed so he could be pulled out. Four officers at a time are arresting each protestor.

One protestor threw himself in front of the police line, hoping, I guess, for his Tiananmen Square moment. Screaming, is this a free country?

And they showed up at the two headquarters in the suburbs and arrested everyone there, just liked I said they should the other day.

Turns out when the cops care to, they can in fact both handle large groups and do so without serious escalation.

Who knew?

29 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Birdy any livefeed somewhere?

It's so rare that I actually get to enjoy watching police action. So gimme a chance to cheer for team blue in front of a screen as if it were a Leafs game.

The CBC is doing a live feed. You should be able to find it on the internet. I’ll do a link in a second.

Some Ottawans describe this as a hostage situation, with heavy elements of extortion. And the convoy is intentionally harming local residents, in an effort to extract concessions from the government—a tactic that, unfortunately, has proved partially successful.

Other residents are simply terrified. Blind people cannot safely leave their homes, due to deafening noise. Anyone with PTSD or sensory processing issues is in constant distress. Far from being a “nuisance,” as the New York Times editorial board described it, the convoy has harassed schoolchildren, spawned coordinated attacks on the 911 system, forced the closure of lifelines like grocery stores and medical offices, and deprived thousands of people of their freedom, sleep, and sanity. As city Councillor Catherine McKenney has repeatedly screamed: “PEOPLE LIVE HERE.

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2022/02/more-a-menace-than-a-protest

More than 100 arrests have been made in Ottawa already, and I bet by tomorrow morning there will be another 100, because they’re down to the hardcore now. And 21 vehicles seized.

The CBC also reported that a poll shows a majority of Canadians are ok with the police using violence to clear Ottawa. Not a surprise, the country is sick and tired of these jerks.

Apparently the organizers are in for some fun time in court.

Class action law suits by residents and businesses with damage claims. Assets of some assheads already frozen. Canadian goverment also apparently willing to go after their businesses with everything they have. 

54 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

More than 100 arrests have been made in Ottawa already, and I bet by tomorrow morning there will be another 100, because they’re down to the hardcore now. And 21 vehicles seized.

The CBC also reported that a poll shows a majority of Canadians are ok with the police using violence to clear Ottawa. Not a surprise, the country is sick and tired of these jerks.

Time to syrupboard them already...

31 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Apparently the organizers are in for some fun time in court.

Class action law suits by residents and businesses with damage claims. Assets of some assheads already frozen. Canadian goverment also apparently willing to go after their businesses with everything they have. 

What is it the kids say?    Fuck around and find out, yeah, I think that's it.      

Is Hwy 407 the biggest rip-off of the Canadian public ever, or is there something bigger?  Sold to private interests for $3 billion, valued at north of $30 billion and I read somewhere the province has put $100 billion into it.  I don't how reliable those numbers are, but damn, why did no one ever protest that?

18 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Is Hwy 407 the biggest rip-off of the Canadian public ever, or is there something bigger?  Sold to private interests for $3 billion, valued at north of $30 billion and I read somewhere the province has put $100 billion into it.  I don't how reliable those numbers are, but damn, why did no one ever protest that?

Because Conservatives do everything the right way, man! Those commie Liberals would never have had the guts to privatize infrastructure!

Ooh, the police in Ottawa just used pepper spray because some of the protesters were getting aggressive. The complaints! The wailing! People screaming at the reporters, “tell the truth, see what they’re doing, those bastards!”

I have to say, my respect for Canadian police forces has gone up substantially while watching this. They learned their lessons from the G20.

Archived