Canadian Politics: more than a truck load of covidiots, eh?

A Horse Named Stranger

52 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

I don't agree. Nothing was stopping the municipality from bringing in other police officers without the Act.

In fact, Windsor police were supported by forces from other jurisdictions (including RCMP) when they cleared the Ambassador Bridge.

Because Windsor itself, and apparently Toronto iirc, had the political will. Ottawa and Ontario though, hell, even Alberta? Nope. Kenney himself and plenty of his UCP MLAs were more or less cheering on the blockade at Coutts, until it started to sink in.

Then Kenney sent a letter to Ottawa asking for Federal help. Now Kenney is suing them lol [the Feds, to be clear, for providing said help] 

3 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Because Windsor itself, and apparently Toronto iirc, had the political will. Ottawa and Ontario though, hell, even Alberta? Nope. Kenney himself and plenty of his UCP MLAs were more or less cheering on the blockade at Coutts, until it started to sink in.

Then Kenney sent a letter to Ottawa asking for Federal help. Now Kenney is suing them lol [the Feds, to be clear, for providing said help] 

Hopefully an affected business sues the Alberta government for not following through on that Bill to Protect Critical Infrastructure.

13 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Hopefully an affected business sues the Alberta government for not following through on that Bill to Protect Critical Infrastructure.

I'd hope. I'd read that the Coutts border crossing alone stymied CDN/US trade by about 44 million per day. A citizen/private business class action against the UCP government would be as delicious as New York cheesecake.

Also, from an international trade perspective, getting a strong handle on the sitch was required for messaging. We got our end of supply chains, even if local and provincial law enforcement won't do shit. We got you, don't worry. 

That's vitally important to Canadian economic interests, right. I didn't love it [invoking the act] but the kids wouldn't quit their shit in the back seat so mommy and daddy had to roll up their sleeves.

I won't hold it against the Feds, but if municipalities and the provinces aren't reviewing their policing contracts with heavy brows right now, they're dumb as fuck.  

He totally is, you know. Like, actually.

I was born in [Northern] BC and raised in the Interior [the Okanagan] so there's that, but after 14+ years of life in Alberta we uprooted and moved two separate households back because of this particular psycho and his government. 

As it turns out -- who knew in putin supporting, Biden hating North Dakota -- a whole buncha of Ukrainian North Dakotians.  As Stupid Vance in the USA suddenly learned in Ohio, there are a whole buncha Ukranian descendants there too.  Well we knew here in NYC there are Ukrainians . . . . Big in the hair stylist industry among others.  But here, of course, we gots them all, and they gots us too.

From Fargo-Moorehead's InForum -- access to stories by subscription only.

North Dakota's Legacy Fund is invested in bonds to the Russian government, and that needs to stop immediately."

Now whose bright idea was it to do this, hmm? and now much did they get paid . . . .

41 minutes ago, Zorral said:
From Fargo-Moorehead's InForum -- access to stories by subscription only.

North Dakota's Legacy Fund is invested in bonds to the Russian government, and that needs to stop immediately."

Now whose bright idea was it to do this, hmm? and now much did they get paid . . . .

Fuck that bullshit.

On 2/24/2022 at 1:43 PM, JEORDHl said:

He totally is, you know. Like, actually.

I was born in [Northern] BC and raised in the Interior [the Okanagan] so there's that, but after 14+ years of life in Alberta we uprooted and moved two separate households back because of this particular psycho and his government. 

Countries should be moving away from fossil fuels altogether—but in the meantime, in this particular instance, isn’t it better morally  for Canadians to go local rather than pay for Russia’s?

Mmn. Falling within the 3% et Other category, we've hardly imported any oil from Russia since 2018, iirc. Irving Oil out east is the main culprit there, but foreign oil [some] is still cheaper than our own, and I think the Irving refinery would need to spend several hundred million on upgraders and a coker to do so anyway. Kenney would be better off negotiating a rail contract to send WCS straight to Cushing for relative WTI pricing, but well... [spreads hands] Most of the oil we import is from the US.

We're a net exporter anyway. And none of our oil is... ethical lol

This is just Kenney attempting to profiteer off Ukraine's plight, thinking perhaps to ride some wave of cooperation to get pipelines built [Energy East, KXL] that're never going to happen. It's gross, and also useful to gloss over his cancellation of a rail contract the previous government had already negotiated, which was costly.

Trudeau yarding Russian Oil from Canadian refineries will just mean they purchase more from Saudi Arabia or something. 

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Countries should be moving away from fossil fuels altogether—but in the meantime, in this particular instance, isn’t it better morally  for Canadians to go local rather than pay for Russia’s?

I've been thinking about this, and though I've only had maybe seven to eight hours sleep in the last three days, I'm going to try again because I realized I didn't really answer your question. 

Yes, countries should be moving away from fossil fuels. I'd argue that the phase out has actually begun [but will hereon defer arguing the finer points of the unfortunate variety of factors perforce determining incrementalism in that regard]

And yes, perhaps we could pat ourselves on the back if we worked out some form of buy Canadian system that doesn't unduly punish companies that should largely be free to source material for refinement how they see fit, by say implementing a tariff on incoming [Saudi Arabian, Russian, whatever] and subsidizing WCS but there's a few issues with that. It's a bit isolationist for a middling economic power. Then there's the technical issues listed in my previous post, ie: cost of upgrading facilities to refine WCS which in the mean is very heavy, et so on.  But sure, let's say somehow we manage to do all of that. That aforementioned pat on the back would still slap pretty hollow. Bully for us, we've crafted a work around to dealing with Nation States we feel don't have good human rights record.

So what though? It doesn't really address the moral/ethical argument Kenney is trying to present because Canada itself has human rights issues.

We currently don't really honor Treaties and agreements with Indigenous. We push projects [and no less ourselves] through unceded lands, the Courts [Christ, I'm not getting started on the Courts-- I won't stop] our federal RCMP are extremely aggressive [understatement] when they deal with land defenders in comparison to hillbilly truck fucks, and we, Canada, certainly do not share the wealth. Our divide and conquer approach with the White Papers, the muddied divisions our governments created between the Indian Act elected councils and hereditary chiefs to wedge a facsimile of approval to sway/confuse public opinion, and like... that's just the surface shit. It gets worse. And it's disgusting, frankly.

We can pretend Canada's resource wealth is ethical, but we're just pretending. 

editing a lot because i'm super fucking tired

Archived