Canadian Politics: more than a truck load of covidiots, eh?

A Horse Named Stranger

11 minutes ago, LynnS said:

It's because he lives in Montreal, so he doesn't know Ottawa streets that well.

I was just being a smartass - it really doesn't matter that he wasn't sure if it was the eighth or ninth for a moment there - but what the hell does knowing the streets have to do with knowing the date?

15 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Witnessing events for oneself is not trolling.

True.  What you're doing now in bombarding the thread with pointless links, quotes and tweets is much closer to spamming.

57 minutes ago, LynnS said:

But how to reconcile what he has seen with what we are told that others are seeing in the same place, at the same time? The Freedom Convoy, as presented by most of the media, is characterized by violence and racism, selfishness and hatred. Can both visions of reality be true?

“Ignore what the leaders and organizers around the protest advocated for and just look at some some videos  smiling random people amongst the crowd”

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

I was just being a smartass - it really doesn't matter that he wasn't sure if it was the eighth or ninth for a moment there - but what the hell does knowing the streets have to do with knowing the date?

Time flies when you are having fun, or are inhaling exhaust fumes from a truck. And if you are having fun inhaling exhaust fumes from a truck, you can easily lose track of the day.

Also look, there's a teletubbie among the truckers, thus they can't be Nazis.* 

*I have no idea, whether there actually was or is a teletubbie there, I just assumed that was gonna be Lynn's next post.

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

During the pandemic lockdowns, the email jobs caste loved to talk about essential workers, and luxuriated in public displays of gratitude for them. But this caste of genteel urbanites never realised that this choice of nomenclature was in fact much more meaningful — and ominous – than they understood. Some people, it seems, simply are critical to the functioning of the economy, pandemic or no pandemic. Once those people — and truck drivers are perhaps the most critical of them all — start to demand to be listened to, they have ways to make those demands felt.

How the Left betrayed the Truckers - UnHerd

Please. I'm tired of this martyr complex, sacrificed at the altar of the economy. You talk about bringing people together but then post shit like this.

Truckers are no more essential than a thousand other jobs in this world. Truckers themselves are completely useless without the hundreds of thousands of people that design, sell, make, and load the products that truckers drive around. Not to mention the people that plan maintenance, order parts and physically fix their rigs.

And yes, some of those essential people are "genteel urbanites" who, yes, send emails to get work done.

We all do different work, essential in different ways.

3 hours ago, LynnS said:

But how to reconcile what he has seen with what we are told that others are seeing in the same place, at the same time? The Freedom Convoy, as presented by most of the media, is characterized by violence and racism, selfishness and hatred. Can both visions of reality be true?

Not sure what you are talking about here. I read the news every day (primary CBC), and the vast majority of articles don't focus on violence or racism the way you imply.

A common thread that I've noticed with people that claim "media bias" "fake news" etc., Is that they hardly watch mainstream news at all.

I read in the CBC news app just a few days ago about people protesting isolation restrictions and requiring vaccinations. The kicker was that someone had found an old newspaper from 1883 writing about a smallpox epidemic in Montréal.  I guess as a species we really have not improved.

I just read in Austrian news that the protestors have de facto won and a lot of provinces are ending measures.

Sorry to hear that but no surprise.

Very few western governments had successes against them. It is impossible for most countries I believe because of the far right nature of most police forces.

3 hours ago, LynnS said:

Because I've lived and worked in Ottawa and the Ottawa region all my life and because the shit you talk isn't what is going on.  I post it so people can see what is going on for themselves if they don't have the attention span of a flea.  I post it so people don't have to rely on your shit talk.

Oh please, did you even watch it?

25 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I just read in Austrian news that the protestors have de facto won and a lot of provinces are ending measures.

Very few western governments had successes against them. It is impossible for most countries I believe because of the far right nature of most police forces.

It's been correctly pointed out in this thread that most provinces and the feds were already substantially underway in planning for lifting restrictions well before the protests.  Omicron set that back by a couple of months, but the prevailing opinion is that we're going to be dealing COVID on a local basis moving forward.  The premiere of British Columbia just addressed this, stating no amount of honking horns in Ottawa were going to dissuade the province from lifting restrictions on the terms they have established.

These protests are 99% motivated by the desire to discredit Trudeau and the Liberals. The timing of protests is thus, and again this has been noted upthread, highly suspect.  These rightist protestors are hoping to score cheap political points by claiming victory for something that was already going to occur, but their real impact on virus policies has been negligible. Most Canadian recognize this, fortunately.

32 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

This is just poor reporting.

For example, the convoy arrived in Ottawa on January 28th. In Ontario (where Ottawa is located). Ontario started lifting measures applied for Omnicron on January 31st (based on a plan released 2 weeks prior to that), with two more dates already decided for lifting of measures (February 21st and March 14th).

15 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

This is just poor reporting.

For example, the convoy arrived in Ottawa on January 28th. In Ontario (where Ottawa is located). Ontario started lifting measures applied for Omnicron on January 31st (based on a plan released 2 weeks prior to that), with two more dates already decided for lifting of measures (February 21st and March 14th).

Well that is a given. Few things penetrate the local Covid-19 bubble.

5 hours ago, LynnS said:

"We're going to arrest anybody who brings gas..."

They should start towing the fucking trucks and arresting the asshats leaving the trucks there.  Calling in fucking bomb threats and swatting people to tie up law enforcement?

The people you are cheering on are shitstains.

:|

LOL! Oh the humanity!

One of the most beautiful political sights I've seen recently was the *Canadian* flags at a quebec anti mandate protest. (And I don't even agree with the protestors.) if you're one of trudeau's hatchet men and you see that, you're like "oh fck what have we done...."

1 hour ago, LynnS said:

Did you even read this article?

Allow me to demonstrate. I think the protest convoy has raised very valid concerns, but its leaders are unsavoury lunatics. I think it was right to come and wrong to stay. (And yes, I said so in another publication last Monday.) I think the endless honking has crossed the line from obnoxious to illegal. I sympathize with the protesters’ concerns, but implore them to educate themselves about how self-government works.

Here I could easily slide into a one-sided rant. Instead I’ll say that if the protesters want the yelling to stop, they might usefully take that infamous “Memorandum of Understanding” and cast it into one of their bonfires before the cameras. Be the change you want to see.

I will give you an olive branch on this one. Trudeau's response hasn't been great, and it has probably hurt him and his party. However, the protesters backed him into a corner on this by delivering that Memorandum, which basically called for the resignation of the government, and the overturning of the last Federal election. As long as that was on the table, there is no way he can meet with them to discuss their issues. It is a non-starter.

If the protesters want to discuss in good faith, then that MOU needs to be rescinded. However, that will never happen, because making Trudeau (and the Liberal party) look bad politically is part of the goal of the protest organizers (Tamara Lich, Bauder, Dichter, King, etc). I will acknowledge that, outside of the hardcore, that is probably not the goal of the everyday protester that has been co-opted by those organizers to serve their aim.

Archived