Canadian Politics: more than a truck load of covidiots, eh?

A Horse Named Stranger

13 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

They're freaking deputizing themselves. Hey cops, I know your fash adjacent and many are sympathetic to this shit. But now they're trying to claim lawful use of force, so maybe now that they're encroaching on your turf you'll do something?

(Note this is why the cops being sympathetic to these kind of folks is so goddamn stupid, these people don't actually like cops they just find them useful as long as the do what they want)

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1491845130256408600

LARPers

Ford is speaking on this right now

Perhaps I was wrong - the 800lbs gorilla has been unleashed!?!!

Ontario declares state of emergency in response to convoy protests

At a press conference Friday, Ford said he will convene cabinet and "urgently enact orders that will make crystal clear it is illegal and punishable to block and impede the movement of goods, people and services along critical infrastructure."

"This will include protecting international border crossings, 400-series highways, airports, ports, bridges and railways. It will also include protecting the safe and essential movement of ambulatory and medical services, public transit, municipal and provincial roadways, as well as pedestrian walkways," Ford said. 

He just said "we will try to do this peacefully, but the occupiers are not listening"

"Ontario is open for business, and will always be open for business"

Uh-oh. Don't fuck with Ford's slogans.

They're freaking deputizing themselves. Hey cops, I know your fash adjacent and many are sympathetic to this shit. But now they're trying to claim lawful use of force, so maybe now that they're encroaching on your turf you'll do something?

(Note this is why the cops being sympathetic to these kind of folks is so goddamn stupid, these people don't actually like cops they just find them useful as long as the do what they want)

I think Ultimately in the end they know it’d be easy to switch over should the need arise.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yesterday afternoon an Ontario court gave the province an injunction stopping the payment of any funds out of the GoFundMe $10M.

Another American company already set up a fund in the US and has announced Canadian courts can’t touch them. It already has $8M in it. And they say they’ll pay in Bitcoin, so fuck you Canada.

On my news feed a few days ago were numerous articles detailing how the US government recovered about 3.6 billion dollars in stolen bitcoins. They were stolen in 2016 and had gone through multiple transaction to hide their origin, and yet tracked they were. Considering that the NSA is the creator of the Secure Hash Algorithm, I doubt that they would have released it without having a backdoor into it.

43 minutes ago, maarsen said:

On my news feed a few days ago were numerous articles detailing how the US government recovered about 3.6 billion dollars in stolen bitcoins. They were stolen in 2016 and had gone through multiple transaction to hide their origin, and yet tracked they were. Considering that the NSA is the creator of the Secure Hash Algorithm, I doubt that they would have released it without having a backdoor into it.

Bitcoin, and other cryptocurrencies, are actually by design super easy to track. Everything is publicly available. The trick is figuring out who's doing the transaction, but the minute you try and cash out at least the end of the chain become real obvious. Which then typically opens you up to figuring out the rest.

These things are a security nightmare despite what the advocates suggest.

@Lord of Oop North

You're probably right, with all the shit I've seen tried to pin on the PM that's not actually on him I'm pretty resistant to what the cons are obviously and openly trying to pull here. But I forgot that most people aren't. (And it doesn't help that Singh is pulling the same shit)

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

@Lord of Oop North

You're probably right, with all the shit I've seen tried to pin on the PM that's not actually on him I'm pretty resistant to what the cons are obviously and openly trying to pull here. But I forgot that most people aren't. (And it doesn't help that Singh is pulling the same shit)

Agreed it is bullshit.

That is why I'd like to see some real political skullduggery.

Turn the tables on them. It has the added bonus of potentially trapping Poilivere. Either he goes against this part of his base, or potentially he could alienate more moderate MPs and citizens.

5 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

Agreed it is bullshit.

That is why I'd like to see some real political skullduggery.

Turn the tables on them. It has the added bonus of potentially trapping Poilivere. Either he goes against this part of his base, or potentially he could alienate more moderate MPs and citizens.

People have been saying he needs a "Just watch me" moment like his father. Usually in the context of enacting the Emergency Act for either Covid or more recently this shit show. I don't think enacting the emergency act is a good idea, to many unknowns, but he has a habit of not being aggressive enough. Normally that's fine, but sometimes it bites him in the ass. Like with voter reform. When it got bogged down such that there wasn't agreement on what form it would take he should have just made the decision.

Same here, he needs to find an area he's got leverage in and hit it hard.

A judge granted an injunction against people blockading the Ambassador Bridge, which went into effect at 7:00 pm tonight (it’s now just after 8:00 pm). 

Let’s see if the police start taking action if they don’t start hauling their asses out of there.

The premier has said that new regulations will be passed by cabinet making the blockade of infrastructure or interfering with ambulances and other emergency services will be come illegal and subject to heavy penalties.

28 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The premier has said that new regulations will be passed by cabinet making the blockade of infrastructure or interfering with ambulances and other emergency services will be come illegal and subject to heavy penalties.

Mixed feelings about the making the blockade of infrastructure illegal bit.

Putting aside that those caravan Carens are mix of racists, bigots and misguided morons, effective protests have to hurt. I don't like the idea of throwing the book at enviormentalists and campaigners for the rights of first nation Canadians (I hope that's the correct name for that group). 

I have zero problems with bringing the hammer down on people who interfere with emergency services (firedighters and ambulances). 

20 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Mixed feelings about the making the blockade of infrastructure illegal bit.

Putting aside that those caravan Carens are mix of racists, bigots and misguided morons, effective protests have to hurt. I don't like the idea of throwing the book at enviormentalists and campaigners for the rights of first nation Canadians (I hope that's the correct name for that group). 

I have zero problems with bringing the hammer down on people who interfere with emergency services (firedighters and ambulances). 

It’s called killing two birds with one stone.

It is already illegal to blockade infrastructure like that. It is considered Mischief, and the cops could arrest them at any time for that. However, the police services are not enforcing the law. The Ottawa police have warned the blockaders multiple times about mischief charges, but have not acted on that.

Based on what Ford said earlier, it seems like this new law would ramp up the consequences significantly for this type of mischief (maximum penalty of $100,000 and up to 1 year in jail).

The situation in Windsor is slightly different, because Windsor police haven't done anything, so an industry association applied to the Courts for an injunction against the blockaders, which was granted today. The Court would now expect the police to enforce that injunction, as it would give them authority to arrest anyone they believe is or has contravened the order.

The same thing happened with the Mohawk rail blockade. CN rail also obtained an injunction.

Windsor police (supported by London and Waterloo police and the OPP) are doing a nice job clearing the blockade. They just had a police line slowly but surely pushing the protestors back and back and back. Many have left. Some new supporters have joined in.

Amazing to me is seeing the idiot dressed in camo with a Canadian flag tag but carrying a US “don’t tread on me” flag. And other idiots who have taken US and Canadian flags and sewn them together. They should be charged with dishonoring the flag. Also, the reporters are saying many of the protestors are angry that the police are clearing them, they’re shocked that the police are there. They thought the police were on their side.

I've read lots of takes from the same, yet know I can't really understand how Indigenous activists must feel watching the soft paw approach over the last three weeks when in some cases they get violently cleared off their own land.

Our country is fucking pathetic sometimes.   

I think we can all agree, that the current state of Canadian politics is entirely Birdy's fault.

Afterall, she got Rob Ford hooked on crack to finance her Church group's charity efforts to help some kid in Bangladesh. That's when and how things started to get off the rails.

That story is as plausible as any alternatives you can come up with.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

the idiot dressed in camo with a Canadian flag tag but carrying a US “don’t tread on me” flag.

Ya, I keep wondering what the guy thinks the Gadsden flag's significance is. :dunno:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-shifting-symbolism-of-the-gadsden-flag

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

They thought the police were on their side.

They also believed the cops and the government were afraid of them.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

They also believed the cops and the government were afraid of them.

Well, over the last two weeks, it certainly has appeared as if the police are afraid to act. 

Nothing is over yet.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/protesters-ambassador-bridge-windsor-covid-deadline-1.6349424

The crowd of protesters has continued to grow while pickup trucks remained as police began Saturday breaking up a days-long protest at the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor, Ont., where vehicles have been blocking traffic on the crucial border crossing into the United States.

Police, including officers from Windsor, London, Ont., and the Ontario Provincial Police, were able to clear out the intersection at the foot of the Ambassador Bridge by forming a line — slowly pushing back protesters and forcing many vehicles to clear the area.

Was reading this vox piece - "The Canadian trucker convoy is an unpopular uprising" - a good read btw, and it included this poll that elucidated just how unpopular is it.  Some highlights:

• 62% oppose the convoy's message, with nearly have the country (47%) strongly opposing
  • 65% think the convoy represents a small minority of selfish Canadians
  • 57% think the convoy is not about mandates or restrictions, but rather an opportunity for right-wing supremacist groups

Moreover, the poll shows little movement in party support/voting intentions since right before the convoy started (January 24th).  Liberals have gone from 34% to 33%, conservatives 31% to 29%.  Meanwhile the leftist New Democratic Party's support has gone up 18% to 21% while the far-right People's Party has gone down from 6% to 4%.

But hey, at least they got a shitload of money from the American fascists!

Archived