Jurassic World: Dominion - Bring Back The OG Crew

Myrddin

It looks as if they're going in the Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith direction of using a John Williams theme to disguise the lack of new ideas or new anything.

But frankly I don't go to the Jurassic World films for intelligence. I'm there for the dinosaurs with big teeth. This movie looks like it'll be total fanservice for people who were six years old when Jurassic Park was released, and I am there for it.

Also, bloody hell, finally, it's a dinosaur with feathers!  

It’s so weird to me how heavily they’ve leaned into the evil corporation aspect of Jurassic Park when that was such a small part of the original and was really only there because they needed a catalyst for the park security systems to shut down to let the dinosaurs loose.

And BD Wong went from being, like, a happy go lucky scientist who loved his job making dinosaurs to being pure evil and the face of a malevolent corporation that is, if I recall correctly, selling dinosaurs to terrorists?  That can’t be right.  It sounds too ridiculous.

I'm just amazed at how many dinosaurs in the wild there are...I mean, there wasn't THAT many escaping from the house in the second movie...

Despite how the movie franchise progressed, I still think the very original novel is a great read and will put together for what it is.  

I'd be more excited about the return of the OG crew if the plot didn't look so incredibly dumb. If it turns out they're the main characters though, rather than Christ Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard, I'll probably see it anyway.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:11 PM, dog-days said:

It looks as if they're going in the Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith direction of using a John Williams theme to disguise the lack of new ideas or new anything.

But frankly I don't go to the Jurassic World films for intelligence. I'm there for the dinosaurs with big teeth. This movie looks like it'll be total fanservice for people who were six years old when Jurassic Park was released, and I am there for it.

They've always been kind of dumb movies, even the first, hopefully this is dumb in the JP3 sense where it realizes it's dumb, not the Lost World sense where it thinks it's smart.

If it's fun I'll have fun, it not I won't care what message they're trying to send.

On 2/10/2022 at 12:11 PM, dog-days said:

Yep, my dad took me and my buddies to it for my 12th birthday and 28 years later I *still* have nightmares about a T Rex stomping through our woods. Every year or so I wake up laughing that it happened again. They're usually pretty awesome dreams. 

I don't think I have even seen the second Chris Pratt one.

• 4 months later...

Oh we went. My 12 years still loves the series. 

But it was a movie in search of a plot that needed a story while retaining very little soul...oh the music is great, and it was fun to see the original team (in a semi plausible manner, if not a strong one...)

The last two movies were much like the first two sequels of Pirates of the Caribbean...they made an original movie that wasn't necessarily though to be as successful as it was, so a couple more projects were green lit and rushed out without much thought to how it connected to the original, yet tried to create a whole universe...Jurrasic Park has story potential. It's just been wasted...

Yeah, that negative word of mouth is definitely having an impact. According to Box Office Mojo's estimate, Fridays domestic cume was off by 73.6% from the previous Friday. At this rate, Top Gun 2 will retake second place next week.

... I have to see this movie now. There have been some pretty terrible franchise films that made insane amounts of money in the last few years. I want to see how bad one has to be to do this. 

I actually think it was a slight improvement over the last one - which I'd number among the worst movies of all time. The entire premise of the second JW movie was nonsense, not to mention that weirdo clone subplot.

That said - the third one did have the original gang which was kinda cool (although I'd have really liked if the black pilot had been revealed to be Malcolm's black daughter from LW) and I really liked how Laura Dern was now kind of the core character and Sam Neill took the back seat, but the premise there was only slightly less ridiculous than in the last movie.

Seriously, not even Peter Cushing as Frankenstein would have thought it was a great idea to create gigantic locusts. I mean, honestly, what could possibly be the point? They didn't bother trying to explain that and then actually had the audacity to reveal that they put them out into the wild on purpose. That's utter madness.

Honestly, I really enjoyed the first Jurassic World movie. That one was pretty, and I also liked some of the personal stories there. I actually had high hopes for the second movie there and was disgusted by the result. A dinosaur auction in a spooky mansion? Who came up with that shit?

The movie works *so hard* to entertain, and doesn't let up for a second. It's so eager to be a crowd pleaser, and throws everything possible at audiences. 

I had an absolute blast watching it in a Gold Class cinema with New York style hot dogs and craft beer. I walked out of the theater on cloud fucking 9, completely out of my mind delighted with how completely fucking bananas this movie managed to be from start to finish. 

It's also an incredibly, profoundly unintelligent movie, with nothing intelligent to offer, a B plot that somehow becomes the A plot, an unresolved A plot ("what do we do with all these dinosaurs on the mainland?"), visual refernces to other, better movies, and spectacularly bad dialogue. 

Don't go in with expectations for this. It's not a movie that has anything to say. It is, in fact, as my partner referred to it, JamesBondausaurus. Or JasonBourneausarus, perhaps. (See: everything in the Malta scenes.)

I confess to having loved it, and would happily watch it a second time, as it's just so gloriously over the top, and doesn't stop long enough to let me squeeze in a single thought. It's almost the near antithesis of the original Jurassic Park, and completely lacking in any sense of grandeur or wonder, and is 100% B grade cheeseball nonsense with awkward dialogue, mountains of exposition, occasionally interesting and original visuals, and a film score that on occasion manages to whip out an interesting cue during slightly dialed down scenes that aren't full of running and screaming. 

It's a big, silly, dumb, eager puppy of a movie.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

I actually think it was a slight improvement over the last one - which I'd number among the worst movies of all time.

We need a term, like the _____ ratio that is like the terribleness of the movie weighed against the budget.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Honestly, I really enjoyed the first Jurassic World movie. That one was pretty, and I also liked some of the personal stories there. I actually had high hopes for the second movie there and was disgusted by the result. A dinosaur auction in a spooky mansion? Who came up with that shit?

Haven't seen the new one yet, but I can honestly say Ienjoyed all the previous movies. Even the first part of Fallen Kingdom on the island was ok. That image of the long neck not being able to escape still haunts me. I may never watch it again but I enjoyed watching it.

I rewatch the first two fairly often. The second one is a masterpiece compared to the last few.

I wish they'd make a straight horror movie with the IP. or better yet an alien: isolation type game. I dislike how they've made the raptors the good guys. they were terrifying. "the most viscous creatures anyone has ever seen"

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

Even the first part of Fallen Kingdom on the island was ok. That image of the long neck not being able to escape still haunts me. I may never watch it again but I enjoyed watching it.

That part I liked as well. Things go to hell when we are to buy that there is a dinosaur auction in that scary mansion.

I rewatch the first two fairly often. The second one is a masterpiece compared to the last few.

You mean the Jurassic Park movies there? I've really a soft spot of the third movie there, considering it is just a straightforward and kind of fun monster island movie. LW isn't bad, but kind of over the top at points. For instance, everybody on the ship being dead but the T-Rex is still in his cage is kind of silly.

I wish they'd make a straight horror movie with the IP. or better yet an alien: isolation type game. I dislike how they've made the raptors the good guys. they were terrifying. "the most viscous creatures anyone has ever seen"

What I liked in the new movie is that they finally give us some feathered dinosaurs.

I had low expectations, but true to form, Trevorrow outdoes himself again with this nonsensical movie.

Saying that, I would have still preferred to see his version of the last star wars film as opposed to what JJ & Terrio served up.

12 hours ago, IlyaP said:

The movie works *so hard* to entertain, and doesn't let up for a second. It's so eager to be a crowd pleaser, and throws everything possible at audiences. 

I had an absolute blast watching it in a Gold Class cinema with New York style hot dogs and craft beer. I walked out of the theater on cloud fucking 9, completely out of my mind delighted with how completely fucking bananas this movie managed to be from start to finish. 

It's also an incredibly, profoundly unintelligent movie, with nothing intelligent to offer, a B plot that somehow becomes the A plot, an unresolved A plot ("what do we do with all these dinosaurs on the mainland?"), visual refernces to other, better movies, and spectacularly bad dialogue. 

Don't go in with expectations for this. It's not a movie that has anything to say. It is, in fact, as my partner referred to it, JamesBondausaurus. Or JasonBourneausarus, perhaps. (See: everything in the Malta scenes.)

I confess to having loved it, and would happily watch it a second time, as it's just so gloriously over the top, and doesn't stop long enough to let me squeeze in a single thought. It's almost the near antithesis of the original Jurassic Park, and completely lacking in any sense of grandeur or wonder, and is 100% B grade cheeseball nonsense with awkward dialogue, mountains of exposition, occasionally interesting and original visuals, and a film score that on occasion manages to whip out an interesting cue during slightly dialed down scenes that aren't full of running and screaming. 

It's a big, silly, dumb, eager puppy of a movie.

A lot of this sounds like the Rise of Skywalker. 

Archived