House Tyrell family dynamics

What do you think are the relations and family dynamics between the members of house Tyrell, from Olenna to all of her grandchildren, passing by Mace Tyrell, Alerie and the wives, daughters and sons in law of the family ?

What do you think are Willas, Garlan, Loras and Maegaery's relations with each other, their parents, their grandmother and their cousins ?

How well accepted do you think that Leonette Fossoway, Garlan's wife, is by her parents-in-law, Garlan's siblings and Olenna ?

Who do you think should be closest to who in this giant but seemingly very close family ?

I think Garlan is being built up to take a part in Winds. He's proven to be a powerful commander (during the Blackwater), has gained recently a lordship, and every time he appears he literally does nothing wrong. He's just too good on all levels. Given that Mace is an oaf (as described by Olenna Tyrell) I suspect he will come into conflict with his father about some issue. He could also come in conflict with his brother Loras, since the latter has been doing crap lately, firstly by murdering some highborn from prominent families (among them, the Royces) out of blind rage and doing some kamikaze storming of Dragonstone that probably costed thousands of lives. And [probably] his own. 

Willas is another dude who is always described as intelligent, neat and an apt heir. Again, unlike his oaf of a father, he may take some part in the 'refounding' of Tyrell inner dynamics.  Besides, Mace, in King's Landing is also doing crappy stuff and to me he is sitting his ass down right into a snake den. And will get bit. 

Olenna is a looming figure above all of these dudes. Wouldn't surprise me, but I'd certainly enjoy, that she comes up with more scheeming.

The 'unity' of the Tyrells has been certainly strong, but I do think some inner conflict will come, breaking that unity, debilitating their grip on the Reach and making it easier for the 'friends in the Reach' to join Aegon Targaryen and begin the second leg of this tour named 'Landing of the Golden Company'. Since they already landed.

On 2/11/2022 at 1:20 AM, Jon Fossoway said:

Given that Mace is an oaf (as described by Olenna Tyrell) I suspect he will come into conflict with his father about some issue. He could also come in conflict with his brother Loras, since the latter has been doing crap lately, firstly by murdering some highborn from prominent families (among them, the Royces) out of blind rage and doing some kamikaze storming of Dragonstone that probably costed thousands of lives. And [probably] his own. 

Neither of that strikes me as very likely. Loras is severely injured, possibly permanently crippled, and seems to be stuck on Dragonstone (that he didn't return to KL when he heard about Margaery shows the seriousness of his overall condition).

Garlan is right now coordinating the impending retake of the Shield Islands while his father is glued to KL/Storm's End for the foreseeable future. The idea that any of these people will have the chance to be at odds over something is very low.

And insofar as general policy is concerned they should all agree that the Shields have to be retaken, that Margaery should be acquitted, that Aegon should be dealt with, etc.

Garlan may feature more prominently in future books, but as a second son he is not *that likely* to shape Tyrell policy. He might become a more crucial instrument doing the bidding of Mace and/or Willas, though.

Willas is another dude who is always described as intelligent, neat and an apt heir. Again, unlike his oaf of a father, he may take some part in the 'refounding' of Tyrell inner dynamics.  Besides, Mace, in King's Landing is also doing crappy stuff and to me he is sitting his ass down right into a snake den. And will get bit.

Willas might come to the fore if/when Mace dies or is captured by Aegon's forces. He is the heir of Highgarden and should succeed Mace or take over for him if he were incapacitated. And what we know about his character indicates that he might not only implement other policies than his father but also use a different approach.

Willas is described as a smart and learned man, so chances are he wouldn't be as ambitious and reckless as his father. I expect him to play a prominent role in the formation of a broader alliance against the Others in the final parts of the story.

In the foreseeable future Willas could cut his ties with his father's more costly endeavors, i.e. his attempts to control the Iron Throne via Margaery marrying various pretenders. But that could only happen once or if Mace is dead or incapacitated.

Olenna is a looming figure above all of these dudes. Wouldn't surprise me, but I'd certainly enjoy, that she comes up with more scheeming.

Olenna's current absence actually shows that she didn't foresee any of the events taking place in AFfC/ADwD. The murder of Joffrey was her attempt to protect her grandchildren from harm but this doesn't mean or indicate she is a super plotter who could help Willas to deal with the current threats House Tyrell is facing - which are considerable if you take the escalating conflict in KL, Aegon, and the Ironborn threat.

The 'unity' of the Tyrells has been certainly strong, but I do think some inner conflict will come, breaking that unity, debilitating their grip on the Reach and making it easier for the 'friends in the Reach' to join Aegon Targaryen and begin the second leg of this tour named 'Landing of the Golden Company'. Since they already landed.

Whatever friends the Golden Company think they have in the Reach clearly are not very crucial Reach lords. The Tyrells are heavily intermarried with the Redwynes, the Hightowers, and the Fossoways ... and Mace's uncles and cousins also control crucial offices in the Reach, not just at Highgarden but also in Oldtown (Gormon is effectively an Archmaester and Moryn Tyrell - Mace's uncle and Leo's father - is the Lord Commander of the City Watch of Oldtown).

Even if Lord Leyton were considering to cut his ties with Highgarden and turn against the Tyrells - which I don't think he is likely to do since one of his daughters is currently the Lady of Highgarden - he might literally not be able to do this while his own City Watch is commanded by a Tyrell.

If the Golden Company actually do have friends then the best candidates here are the Peakes under Lord Titus - who are known for their Blackfyre connections in the past (even more since there are Peakes with the company at this point) - and the Merryweathers - whose current lord was in exile in Essos for some time before Robert allowed him to return.

Those two houses could give Aegon some support, but they could not possibly threaten Tyrell power.

If Mathis Rowan were to join Aegon - which is very likely - this should have a bigger effect on the allegiance of many lesser lords and knights in the Reach ... but even there I'd expect there to be some quarrel over who is the rightful king (Tommen/Myrcella or Aegon) not so much who is the rightful overlord. And Willas especially is likely smart enough to play the same neutrality card as the Lady of Highgarden during the Dance of the Dragons. Also, we have to keep in mind that the Ironborn threat is real and not going to go away - those lords and knights of the Reach whose lands and castles are threatened by Euron are not going to turn against the very overlords who are trying their best to beat the Ironborn back. Even if they were not agreeing who should be king ... they are very likely to agree that they do not want Ironborn invaders on their turf and are working with their neighbors and liege lords to get rid of them.

But in any case - the Rowans definitely aren't friends of the Golden Company.

Archived