MCU: The Amazing Disappearing Daredevil!

Rhom

4 hours ago, Myrddin said:

:lol: Poor Finn Jones.

Poor Jessica Henwick! She deserved to be Iron Fist on a better show.  

15 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

As for the Netflix shows, I've only ever seen S1 and 2 of Daredevil, S1 of Luke Cage and Jessica Jones, and The Defenders. Honestly not motivated to see the rest.

The first half of Daredevil season two is quite good. The second have is "maybe have it on in the background while you do other things." Then the third is really good. I'd suggest watching those if only because at least two of the characters seem to be back.

Don't bother with The Defenders.  Punisher I thought was kinda a retread of his arc in Daredevil. (Oh what's that? Somone else also killed your whole family?) Luke Cage and Iron Fist were just maybe getting interesting when the axe came down.

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Poor Jessica Henwick! She deserved to be Iron Fist on a better show.  

Very much agreed.

Disney should do that Daughters of the Dragon series with her and Simone Missick. I'd watch that twice over the first week and then make all my friends watch it.

7 minutes ago, mormont said:

Very much agreed.

Disney should do that Daughters of the Dragon series with her and Simone Missick. I'd watch that twice over the first week and then make all my friends watch it.

I’ve been meaning to start a discussion on ‘where have the Netflix heroes been since 2018’ but I haven’t seen a few of the later series so I held off. BUT, a Daughters of the Dragon series set during the snap, with them picking up the slack in NY left by DD/JJ/LC/IF being snapped, would be cool as fuck. 

On 3/11/2022 at 7:53 AM, Myrddin said:

:lol: Poor Finn Jones.

Also absent is Punisher, but given the Parent TV Council is slamming including Punisher in Disney's "brand", I guess it makes sense to leave Frank off the promo. 

Kingpin turns a man's head into pudding with a door in season 1 of Daredevil and Jessica Jones has some really fucked up moments. They should be on Hulu, really.

Though I reckon in The Punisher's case it's less about the R-rated violence and more about the Punisher's skull symbol which has unfortunately been co-opted by dickheads.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Though I reckon in The Punisher's case it's less about the R-rated violence and more about the Punisher's skull symbol which has unfortunately been co-opted by dickheads.

I'm just worried if they continue with the skull iconography I'll have to change my avatar.  Neo-nazis are total deadheads, right?

43 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ms. Marvel trailer...

This just looks like fun. The character came about long after I started regularly reading comics, but if they're sticking in any way close to the source material, I trust the writers of those stories I have read.  This seems like a perfect Disney+ product...

A Facebook link? Thanos was right.

On 3/13/2022 at 4:45 PM, Corvinus85 said:

Kingpin turns a man's head into pudding with a door in season 1 of Daredevil and Jessica Jones has some really fucked up moments. They should be on Hulu, really.

Yes, because no baddies ever used skull iconography before

And look - a non-facebook link... by me... :)

4 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ms. Marvel trailer...

This just looks like fun. The character came about long after I started regularly reading comics, but if they're sticking in any way close to the source material, I trust the writers of those stories I have read.  This seems like a perfect Disney+ product...

They've changed her power set (probably because it's cheaper and easier to do the vague energy powers rather than shapeshifting, growth, stretching and so on) but the essence of the character seems to be similar - a good hearted daydreaming dork girl who idolises supers and then gets to be one. As long as they stick to that, they should be fine.

15 minutes ago, mormont said:

They've changed her power set (probably because it's cheaper and easier to do the vague energy powers rather than shapeshifting, growth, stretching and so on) but the essence of the character seems to be similar - a good hearted daydreaming dork girl who idolises supers and then gets to be one. As long as they stick to that, they should be fine.

In one shot her fist shows the energy thingy, but it does swell up. Maybe it starts out looking like Captain Marvel’s powers because she looks up to her, but it changes/evolves?

1 minute ago, Quijote Light said:

In one shot her fist shows the energy thingy, but it does swell up. Maybe it starts out looking like Captain Marvel’s powers because she looks up to her, but it changes/evolves?

It looks like more of a green-lantern-like projection to me.

But yeah I think mormont's right that the reason is that it would be incredibly hard to do the morphing in live action and look good. Even G. Willow Wilson said so (without commenting on the direction here since it's when it was first announced), that they created her to look as comic-booky as possible and didn't think it'd really work in live action as a direct translation.

I've not read the books, I've seen some who have say that there is some character stuff behind the powers in her uncertainty about herself influencing how she morphs etc, hopefully they do find a way to include that with the change.  

17 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It looks like more of a green-lantern-like projection to me.

Or Quasar's Quantum Bands. Which even makes a roundabout kind of sense to me since Quasar also had a connection to Captain Marvel, both Vaughn as a kind of successor to Mar-Vell and Phyla as his daughter.

I hadn't realised they'd changed her powers, but I agree that they're probably hard to pull off in live action and ultimately Kamala as a character isn't defined by her superpowers.

And I guess the Inhuman connection was off the table to avoid association with what I think is still the MCU's biggest flop?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this.

22 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

And I guess the Inhuman connection was off the table to avoid association with what I think is still the MCU's biggest flop?

Actually if you believe the rumors that show is going to be connected to the main MCU soon:

Spoiler

supposedly Black Bolt is in Multiverse of Madness played by Anson Mount. Probably not the same exact version of the character though.

11 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I haven’t read any Ms Marvel or F4 but it sounds similar to Reed Richards, maybe they’re trying to put some daylight between the two?

Comics-Kamala can do everything Reed can do and also everything Ant-Man can do, basically.

As a Muslim-American I really hope they get this right. In my personal experience, Hollywood tends to focus on what issues it thinks matter most (or should matter) most to Muslim youth (hijab, sex, etc.) when the issues facing our communities are actually much more messy (parents putting too much (or too narrow) expectations on their kids, the experiential and communicative gulf between generations, the lack of role models and representation in pop culture, the subtle but enduring ethnocentrism, the daily fear of harassment many Muslims face at airports or while riding public transportation, etc.). Now, I don't expect a comic book TV show made by Disney to address all or even most of these topics but if they manage to at least avoid the general clichés that make me groan every time I see them I'll consider that a win.

Anyway, isn't it a little weird for Kamala to idolize Carol Danvers specifically, as opposed to a superhero/Avenger long known to the public like Black Widow? In the MCU she's only appeared three times (Captain Marvel, Endgame, and the post-credits for Shang-Chi) and of those three, the first time would have been before Kamala was even born and the third time unknown to her since she wasn't in the Sanctum Sanctorum with Shang-Chi, Wong, etc. Hell, her appearance in Endgame wouldn't have been that noteworthy in and of itself either given how brief it was.

Archived