MCU: The Amazing Disappearing Daredevil!

Rhom

38 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

As a Muslim-American I really hope they get this right. In my personal experience, Hollywood tends to focus on what issues it thinks matter most (or should matter) most to Muslim youth (hijab, sex, etc.) when the issues facing our communities are actually much more messy (parents putting too much (or too narrow) expectations on their kids, the experiential and communicative gulf between generations, the lack of role models and representation in pop culture, the subtle but enduring ethnocentrism, the daily fear of harassment many Muslims face at airports or while riding public transportation, etc.). Now, I don't expect a comic book TV show made by Disney to address all or even most of these topics but if they manage to at least avoid the general clichés that make me groan every time I see them I'll consider that a win.

If you haven't read the comics... that's exactly how the comics are written. Family relationships, generation gap, expectations both academic and personal, all these are Kamala's main issues (aside from being a superhero). Her brother is a religious student and is portrayed positively, her friend group is mixed but includes observant Muslims and American kids and neither is portrayed negatively, it's very much a book about a dorky good hearted teenager who just happens to be a Muslim.  And that's a key part of its success. Disney know that and the early signs are they've absorbed the lesson.

38 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Anyway, isn't it a little weird for Kamala to idolize Carol Danvers specifically, as opposed to a superhero/Avenger long known to the public like Black Widow? In the MCU she's only appeared three times (Captain Marvel, Endgame, and the post-credits for Shang-Chi) and of those three, the first time would have been before Kamala was even born and the third time unknown to her since she wasn't in the Sanctum Sanctorum with Shang-Chi, Wong, etc. Hell, her appearance in Endgame wouldn't have been that noteworthy in and of itself either given how brief it was.

Well, since she has to idolise Carol for the Ms Marvel identity to make sense (Carol is more high profile in the comics), I imagine they'll address this.

In Wandavision the characters seem to know details of the endgame fight like they watched it. So they can say there's footage of Danvers taking out Thanos' ship by herself and generally kicking ass. I can totally see someone saying "wait whose that!?" and having a new favorite hero.

We've already had a character whose favorite Avenger was Hawkeye, that was far less believable. Though they gave her a reason.

It’s something we haven’t really seen, but given how many people love the fictional MCU, can you even imagine how bananas the fandom would be within the MCU? There’d be a huge community of people who would pounce on any tidbit of information about the Avengers, so I think they’d have something approximating our own knowledge of events. Also, this assumes Carol hasn’t done other stuff outside of the films we’ve seen her in.

9 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

It’s something we haven’t really seen, but given how many people love the fictional MCU, can you even imagine how bananas the fandom would be within the MCU?

Again, in the comics, Kamala writes Avengers fanfic. Some hints in the trailer IIRC that they'll actually reference this.

48 minutes ago, mormont said:

Again, in the comics, Kamala writes Avengers fanfic. Some hints in the trailer IIRC that they'll actually reference this.

You think she ships Banner/Nat or Cap/Nat?

39 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I'm 100% sure within the MCU Scott Lang is writing on Avengers fan forums nerding out in detail about every single thing he's seen, done, heard, etc.

In Captain America: The Musical; its like Hawkeye says "I know.  I was there... you know who wasn't there?  That guy.  Antman.  He wasn't there."  :lol:

4 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Anyway, isn't it a little weird for Kamala to idolize Carol Danvers specifically, as opposed to a superhero/Avenger long known to the public like Black Widow? In the MCU she's only appeared three times (Captain Marvel, Endgame, and the post-credits for Shang-Chi)

Kamala doesn't watch the MCU movies, though - she lives in the MCU and has had a quite different experience than us. Captain Marvel was around during the Blip, and while she was off-Earth a lot, presumably she showed up and did wildly impressive things multiple times during Kamala's early-to-mid teens.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

You think she ships Banner/Nat or Cap/Nat?

I believe she ships Spidey and Carol, which obviously won't be translating to the MCU given that Peter is considerably younger in the MCU.

1 hour ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@mormont

I never got a chance to get into comics growing up and life's been too hectic lately to figure out where to start with regards to Marvel/DC so thanks for the reassurance.

Honestly, Ms Marvel is designed as an 'onboarding' series for new readers (albeit YA readers) and it's a pretty good place to start. It actually successfully does a thing Marvel (and DC) have been trying to do for literally decades, which is create a new, identifiable teenage hero that new readers can relate to and use as an entry point. That it happens to be a Muslim kid from Jersey (created and initially written by Muslim women) is a bonus.

2 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@mormont

I never got a chance to get into comics growing up and life's been too hectic lately to figure out where to start with regards to Marvel/DC so thanks for the reassurance.

I subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and started with the Fresh Start era, using this list:

https://marvelguides.com/fresh-start-introduction

…and I’m effing loving it. I tried once before to get into them but just flying blind on random issues, and it just didn’t click. 

Also, Marvel Unlimited has saved me about $700 on what I’ve read in the last 2-3 months which is pretty crazy.

Minor nitpick, but as someone who has worked in several schools in Jersey City, I have to say, the school shown in the trailer is beyond not accurate. I went to college in Jersey City and use to substitute teach for the district quite a bit and non of the schools were as clean as the one shown in that trailer, I can say that out right. Also all of the schools I worked for in the city, both public and private had uniforms. Though I get the feeling Jersey City as a whole, will be portrayed as a much cleaner and safer place, in this show, compared to the place I spent my late teens and early 20's, lol

If anything, the school shown in that trailer, reminds me of one from New Jersey's many smaller towns, like Cranford or Roselle Park.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Minor nitpick, but as someone who has worked in several schools in Jersey City, I have to say, the school shown in the trailer is beyond not accurate. I went to college in Jersey City and use to substitute teach for the district quite a bit and non of the schools were as clean as the one shown in that trailer, I can say that out right. Also all of the schools I worked for in the city, both public and private had uniforms. Though I get the feeling Jersey City as a whole, will be portrayed as a much cleaner and safer place, in this show, compared to the place I spent my late teens and early 20's, lol

If anything, the school shown in that trailer, reminds me of one from New Jersey's many smaller towns, like Cranford or Roselle Park.

Have you seen the school Peter Parker goes to?  None of this shit is even remotely close to real life.

13 minutes ago, briantw said:

Have you seen the school Peter Parker goes to?  None of this shit is even remotely close to real life.

Right?  No school on Asgard would offer groot as an elective.

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

Never taught in NYC, so I can't compare. Just a fun observation, since Jersey City is a place I lived and spent many of the years of my life at. I can't wait to see the parody of it the MCU makes it out to be though, lol

6 hours ago, sifth said:

When your school system loses half of its students and staff and they miraculously come back 5 years later, then you can make comparisons. :P

Daredevil Reboot Reportedly Set to Begin Production as Disney+ MCU Series
But we don't know when production would start on the notional project.

https://www.ign.com/articles/daredevil-reboot-mcu-marvel-disney-charlie-cox

A Daredevil reboot is reportedly set to enter production, and will apparently be a Disney+ MCU series.

The latest issue of Production Weekly – which provides listings of pre-production or in-production projects for film professionals – includes a section for a show simply referred to as 'Daredevil Reboot'.

The show is listed as a Disney+ series currently in development, with head of Marvel Studios Kevin Feige, and Chris Gary (Marvel's Behind the Mask) mentioned as producers. No timing is given for when the show would begin production, however, nor which actors would be involved.

The listing also includes a synopsis for the show, but this appears to be based on descriptions of the original Daredevil Netflix series.

Archived