MCU: The Amazing Disappearing Daredevil!

Rhom

2 hours ago, mormont said:

On a gift shop worker's money, he literally doesn't even have a price range. He'd have to share with at least two roommates, but then the story wouldn't work.

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

If they bother addressing it it'll likely link back to one of his alternate personalities. One is a billionaire, iirc.

Well... he isn't really living alone, is he...ba dum dum!  

9 hours ago, Denvek said:

With the apartment it could be that Mark's paid for it and Steven's rationalising it as money from his mother or some such. Doesn't really matter, but it's explainable if you want it to be.

Of course. Everything is reallly, it's just amusing.

9 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

So did the Steven personality miss two days of work?

They go to pains to point out that it's Saturday and Sunday he misses, so presumably not.

He wakes up, almost immediately notices his fish isn't his fish, rushes off to the pet shop then rushes home to get changed for his date, so I can believe that.

OTOH the pet shop is open on Sunday. Not sure I can suspend disbelief there. 

15 minutes ago, mormont said:

He wakes up, almost immediately notices his fish isn't his fish, rushes off to the pet shop then rushes home to get changed for his date, so I can believe that.

OTOH the pet shop is open on Sunday. Not sure I can suspend disbelief there. 

But the museum gift shop isn't (hence it doesn't matter him missing the weekend)

5 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

But the museum gift shop isn't (hence it doesn't matter him missing the weekend)

It's open, but it's not his shift. Presumably he had Friday off as well, or he'd be freaking out over missing work rather than a replacement goldfish.

I actually might be alone in thinking Issac's accent is ok, it really isn't Mary Poppins bad at all. I really like what he is doing with his voice and his performance, its so meek and pathetic, it seems very different to the kind of staged way of talking you'd expect on these shows. Sure he doesn't always get it totally right but its not that far off actually. 

No, I thought the accent was pretty good, weird but believable and certainly an interesting departure from standard British accents on screen. Personally I find Cumberbatch’s American accent quite grating but i don’t think I’ve seen an American complain about that.

I thought the ep was very good, especially since it deliberately cut most of the action scenes, which is normally one of my main areas of interest. I wonder if they’ll replay the same scenes from Spector’s perspective, that would be an interesting way to do it, have the second episode cover the same few days.

I’m not sure I love how they’ve changed up the Moon Knight mythos, I’d rather it was a more disturbed version of Batman fighting street criminals than magic Egyptian themed monsters. The Moon Knight seeming to have its own personality, having hardcore powers and a place in the Egyptian pantheon, and possessing this guy, maybe fracturing his mind as a consequence, seems to be leaning into a more mystical version of the character than you usually see in the comic books.

You sort of just have to role with the missing time stuff in stories like this. Stuff like what was posted above was all over the place in Fight Club, yet it’s considered one of the greatest films of all time.

I don’t care about bad, or predictable fight scenes but I’d certainly rather see good fight scenes than not see them at all. Cutting them for storytelling reasons is an understandable choice though.

It is getting some awful reviews. I've seen two that said it recalled the dogshit days of superhero movies, pre-MCU. It did remind me of the bad old days, where studios thought they could throw out any kind of garbage and people would lap it up. Daredevil and Electra come to mind.

37 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Okay Brits is Oscar Issac’s accent done well?  My American ear says yes but… I’m American.

I’m saying yes, other say no. I like that it’s not the standard Hollywood interpretation of British accents. It falls apart sometimes but mostly I really like it 

“I stand by the sound of Steven 100 per cent. It’s cool [the accent] got people excited, and some were like, ‘That sucks!’ and others were like, ‘That’s great!’ But there are reasons… That voice is about where Steven’s from, where he’s living now, and some of his believed heritage. It’s not an idea of what Brits actually sound like.”

From ScreenRant.

I think it’ll be revealed to be intentional, although I wouldn’t go so far as to say Isaac could do a perfect accent but chose not to. The above quote is fairly handy if your accent isn’t quite there already.

Morbius post credit spoilers (but of interest to MCU fans)

Spoiler

I’m pleased to hear that they’ve shifted everything to the Venom-verse and aren’t trying to pretend it’s the MCU. Post credit 1 apparently shows the rift from No Way Home ejecting Adrian Toomes into an empty prison cell, and he’s then released as no one has a record of his crimes. So he’s in the Venom/Morbius verse now. Why the spell pushed him back to a different universe isn’t explained. And then PC2 is just them meeting and being all “hey we should team up, Sinister Six would make loadsa money”. Weirdly this universe still doesn’t have a Spider-Man though, as the ASM2 posters didn’t make the cut. Could still be retconned though.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Okay Brits is Oscar Issac’s accent done well?  My American ear says yes but… I’m American.

It's beyond fake, but something I can easily over look. Americans suck at doing London accents most of the time, though I often feel the same way when it comes to people in the UK attempting a New York accent. They think all New Yorkers are from Brooklyn for some daft reason.

It kind feels like he's doing the whispering trick, that Sean Bean often tries to pull, whenever he's playing an American. He basically talks super low, as a mean to try and hide his accent.

Archived